Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2016 11:19:11 PM EDT
Alright, let me start this off saying that yes this is my first post but I have been a member for quite some time and referenced the site for knowledge and I do not define myself as any sort of an expert. So I have been searching the internet for this list and have not been able to find anything of the sort, I have found countless parts lists etc. but what I am looking for is a parts purchasing list.

So I am looking to build my AR, one piece at a time. I want to go high quality on each individual component or the rifle. So with that said, I cannot purchase all of it at the same time. But I want to build it as I go. Ya get what I'm saying?

This will be for 4th AR that I have owned, but it will be the 3rd one that I still own. I currently own 2 Adams Arms Evo's, pistol and rifle.

This particular rifle I want to have either a 24 or 26" barrel and I already have the lower paid for, just needing to go pick it up.

Thank you in advance for any comments or direction you may have.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly are you looking to build? Every build I've done that has parts coming from different vendors at different times is a whole lot of hurry up and wait. Not until everything has arrived do I break out the tools.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming you're shooting .223/5.56?  A 26" barrel is overkill.  A 24" is about a s long as you want to go with a .223 due to it's case volume.  Anything longer, you lose velocity since the powder in the barrel has completely burned in the first 20-24 inches.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
seriously, I cannot see any benefit to having a rifle barrel longer than 18" for a 5.56 chamber.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This particular rifle I want to have either a 24 or 26" barrel and I already have the lower paid for, just needing to go pick it up.

Thank you in advance for any comments or direction you may have.

Dan
View Quote

What lower did you get? I'd match it with the same brand upper if it was me. Maybe wait and build a 308 with a 24"?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the responses, I ended up with a Stagg  Arms and a Core-15 lowers.

After reading your suggestions I think I'll go with one of the builds as a pistol and the other will be at least an 18" rifle.

I'll save the heavy long barrel till I build my .308 AR.

Side note...has anyone heard of SpecOp Mfg and have any input on their uppers? Their prices are very tempting to me to try out.

It appears all I would need is a BCG and maybe a buffer tube?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the responses, I ended up with a Stagg  Arms and a Core-15 lowers.

After reading your suggestions I think I'll go with one of the builds as a pistol and the other will be at least an 18" rifle.

I'll save the heavy long barrel till I build my .308 AR.

Side note...has anyone heard of SpecOp Mfg and have any input on their uppers? Their prices are very tempting to me to try out.

It appears all I would need is a BCG and maybe a buffer tube?
View Quote

I'd not recommend longer than 18" on a .308 either (especially if you're going with a heavy barrel. those things get heavy to haul around as it is.  the benefit of having an ARstyle .308 is it's portability and it's ability to modify the rifle setup for any mission condition.  if you're building a shoot from cover long range rilfe, go with a bolt gun that will accept box magazines, that'll be a much more effective long range shooter, IMO.  (and it wouldn't hurt to have a 20" barrel on the bolt gun)

what have you bought for your 5.56 rifle?
just a lower?
lower parts kit? (cmmg will work just fine)
lower build kit? (palmetto state or the like)

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
All that I have so far is the 2 lowers. I am thinking 10.5 inch barrel on the pistol and 18 on the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I somehow lucked out today and found a Black Rain Ordinance lower parts kit!

My question now deals with the buffer tube and butt stock.

I have seen some butt stocks come with the spring and others just come with a butt stock.

Can I just get any buffer tube and any buttstock will work with it?

I also have the same questions when dealing with the pistol build.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I somehow lucked out today and found a Black Rain Ordinance lower parts kit!

My question now deals with the buffer tube and butt stock.

I have seen some butt stocks come with the spring and others just come with a butt stock.

Can I just get any buffer tube and any buttstock will work with it?

I also have the same questions when dealing with the pistol build.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

A buttstock is just that, a stock. What you want is a buttstock assembly which includes receiver extension, mounting hardware, buffer, spring, and buttstock itself. If you are going collapsible, there are two different dimensions: mil-spec and commercial. I personally use commercial but am a holdover from years ago when they were more prominent. Nowadays, mil-spec seems to be more popular. However, mil-spec now refers more to the size rather than how the receiver extension is made or what it is made of. Make sure you fully know what you are getting as far as construction of the extension and what it is made of. If you are going solid stock, those afre much more starightforward and don't have the major variation like the collapsible counterparts do. I'm sure you know this, but it bears repeating, know what you are buying and don't scrimp on lesser quality brands.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you have one you would suggest? I am 100% sure on total mil spec
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top