Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2016 11:32:31 PM EDT
Shalom homies,

I posted about this here:  24" motherfucker, but I was moor noob at the time than I realized (<-- dumbass).  I finished my .300 blk rifle and now I've got this 24" 556 barrel that weighs more than a pregnant volcano. It's nails hard cool, but I don't know what to do with it!

I've read and appreciate the responses in my original post, so thanks folks; what I didn't know then was just how front heavy this is going to be.

Do any of you have experience building a balanced rifle with such a heavy barrel?

Since it was originally for my wife,  I can always punt and get a reasonable weight barrel, but I've gotta do something with this fucking pipe. I don't care about overall weight; I just can't see doing a 16"-ish build but slamming this hippo on the front, short resigning it for use either prone or with a bipod. I'm really thinking about repurposing it to another... flavor?... of AR. It just doesn't seem feasible for general purpose--scratch that--not very specific use, and I don't feel like an inexpensive Aero, a generic parts kit and magpul furniture would be practical.

Help? Thoughts?

Thanks my friends,
Tom AF

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]

that was 30 days and 5 posts ago.

I have some thoughts.  cant tell you what they are.

attach it to your porch and fly a flag from it.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Put lead in the buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone please move this to GD...

Please.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put lead in the buttstock.
View Quote

yup...just about the only thing you can do at this point short of modding the barrel or dumping it

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since it was originally for my wife,  I can always punt and get a reasonable weight barrel, but I've gotta do something with this fucking pipe. I don't care about overall weight;
View Quote

The more important question is what does SHE want? Does she still want that brick or are you deciding for her?

If she wants the length, but not the front heavy weight, you could have it turned down to a slimmer profile. If she wants a shorter length, you should be able to have it cut down to 20" without much worry (shorter than that would require more tuning of the gas port due to shorter length after the hole). The most I paid for similar work once was $120, but that included removal and reassembly of the barrel to receiver, and also some receiver modifications, on top of thinning the profile, chopping the length, and cutting threads on the muzzle. Since you wouldn't be asking for the receiver work, and wouldn't require removing and reinstalling the barrel, yours should be less than that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone please move this to GD...

Please.
View Quote

+1. It will find a good home there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 24" barreled varmint upper.  Build one and go shoot varmints.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Build a nice sniper with a weighted full stock... It's not an elephant in the room. By the way, you're a funny sob. lol
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top