Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 2:55:38 PM EDT
So, new build, got an Aero receiver extension with a real nice gray finish. Only thing is, it chatters like my ex wife when I thread it into my current lower. Threads fine, no burrs or anything, just chalky (for lack of better description).
Anyhow, any reason NOT to put a bit of Aeroshell or antiseize on the threads? I have never had to before, but do not see this as causing any issues?? Checked lower with another tube, all normal. Just the finish I am thinking. I like the gray so I want to keep the plan.
????
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Mil-spec barrel assembly grease is what is spec’d for RE assembly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct. It's crazy that most people don't know about this and just assemble the parts dry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is correct. It's crazy that most people don't know about this and just assemble the parts dry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm one, obviously.  Now I have 4  other REs to disassemble, also. Where is a good source for correct assembly procedures?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Downloaded an Army tech manual (TM 9-1005-319-23 &P)
Looks to have all sorts of info I am short on. Any other suggestions, fire away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you have at least this version or later:
TM-9-1005-319-23P-change8_Nov2008
I am not sure when they changed the carrier key torque, but Armalite has an interesting tech note on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make sure you have at least this version or later:
TM-9-1005-319-23P-change8_Nov2008
I am not sure when they changed the carrier key torque, but Armalite has an interesting tech note on the subject.
View Quote

Thanks, boss. I didnt. Mine was almost 10 yrs older. Got it now, appreciate the help. Finding out there's a shit ton I dont know, learning from others as I go.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a military armorer in the 70’s and when I got out and started building I found out there was a world of difference.
I still run across new to me things that can go wrong on this site.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I read most anything I can find, but learn mostly from others doing builds. Hard to sort out the bullshit at times.

Thanks again on the TM info.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top