Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2016 9:53:22 PM EDT
I'm planning on building a 16" 2.23/5.56.  Main purpose is home defense and fun at the range.

I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible but am okay spending a few extra dollars if I'm getting something better.

I have my lower parts determined and purchased:

• Anderson stripped lower receiver
    PSA Defender MOE LPK with EPT
    Spikes Buffer tube assembly w/ST-T2
    MFT Battlelink Minimalist Stock

I would like to build the upper but it seems that a complete upper receiver is much more economical from PSA.  This is what I'm considering for the upper:

It seems hard to beat the quality for the money over the PSA premium or CHF upper assemblies with their chrome lined barrels from FN.
I would prefer a free float rail but the only PSA CHF free float is not M-Lok or KeyMod.
I could get the CHF and get the free float later but I'm not sure that I actually would.
I don't think I'll ever wear out any barrel but based upon pricing it seems to make sense to me to get the FN chrome lined barrel.

I would love some advice on my upper parts selection.  
PSA CHF or premium w/free float?
If you have another upper that would be a better choice in the same price range I would like to hear about it.  Even if it is slightly more (I would like to keep it under $400, or $500 if BCG is included), let me know about it if you feel I get something much better.

I also would like to know if you think I made a mistake on my lower selection.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA has complete lowers right now with free shipping at very good prices, they have a few different configurations, I just bought a complete pistol lower for $139 shipped
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PSA has complete lowers right now with free shipping at very good prices, they have a few different configurations, I just bought a complete pistol lower for $139 shipped
View Quote

I think ya missed the part where the OP stated he already had his lower parts purchased.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Lower assembly looks good to me.
The anderson rollmark is a little cheesy, but the ones I have are in spec and were cheap ($60 each OTD from local ffl).

I see both those uppers you listed are now OOS. You gotta jump on those daily/weekend deals real quick.

My first few uppers assemblies were PSA.  Back then, they all came with BCGs and CHs and there weren't different quality levels (Premium, PSA, Freedom, PTAC).  All barrels were FN and CHF, even the stainless ones.  If buying something today from PSA, I'd want the CHF and chrome lining too.

As long as you stay away from the PTAC line, I think you'll be happy with whichever PSA item you end up with.

If you don't already have the tools or know someone that does, you're probably right that you won't be replacing the handguard/A2 front sight with a FF rail. Buy the configuration you want.

Good BCG choice. Never tried a Mod 4 but somehow I have a Mod 3 amongst the CHs I've got.  Raptor replacements are almost complete for my stable.
You seem to have a good idea of what you are looking for, next time PSA is running a deal on something that catches your eye, flip a coin instead of coming here for advise and you won't miss the deal.

Good luck.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top