Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2016 10:16:10 PM EDT
So, I've been building my Daughter an A2 for, oh, a couple of years now. (fallen on hard times and all that). All it's missing is the barrel.  Now, her birthday is coming up here pretty quick, and I've got a couple of dollars I can spare on a cheap barrel (if she fires 1000 rounds through this thing in its lifetime, I'll be very much surprised.)

Trouble is, the only barrels I find with the front sights installed are the F-marked with all the hardware already installed.  Which I don't really need, and which cost $60 more than basic barrels.  I've got a couple of A2's laying around already, and have all of the hardware.  The thing missing, if I just buy a regular barrel, is the pin channels.  There's a local guy who'll "cut me a break" and do the install for only around $60-80, but there I go again with tight cash.

Then I saw this,

What says the hive?  Is this a valid method (apart from his whimsical attention to precision) to secure an A2 block?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done many my self. A set screw where each taper pin hole would be, one near the slind and one up through the bayonet lug. I even did one with only the two undernieth and it held fine. Rguns sells them already done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Many thanks!  My daughter will no doubt thank you when she holds her leopard print A2 in her hands fully functioning.  Yeah, it's that one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've done many my self. A set screw where each taper pin hole would be, one near the slind and one up through the bayonet lug. I even did one with only the two undernieth and it held fine. Rguns sells them already done.
View Quote
I've done this as well...one in each tapered pin hole. Worked out very well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only done a couple but,yes,it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

May I suggest putting the taper pins in with red Loctite and letting them set up over night.....then take a dremel and contour them to the barrel being careful only to grind down the pins......set screws will seat and hold much better....and as to the set screws...I have a prototype upper with a set screw FSB with 25,000 rounds through it with no point of impact shift....

If you have access to a lathe......you can turn the pins down and finish with a file......I have done this and then pinned on a new FSB by drilling and pinning....
View Quote
So you are essentially "filling in" the old taper pin holes in the barrel with trimmed pins. Good idea.

I've only done the set screw mod on virgin barrels, so I have not had to deal with existing taper pin holes in the barrel.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So, I've been building my Daughter an A2 for, oh, a couple of years now. (fallen on hard times and all that). All it's missing is the barrel.  Now, her birthday is coming up here pretty quick, and I've got a couple of dollars I can spare on a cheap barrel (if she fires 1000 rounds through this thing in its lifetime, I'll be very much surprised.)

Trouble is, the only barrels I find with the front sights installed are the F-marked with all the hardware already installed.  Which I don't really need, and which cost $60 more than basic barrels.  I've got a couple of A2's laying around already, and have all of the hardware.  The thing missing, if I just buy a regular barrel, is the pin channels.  There's a local guy who'll "cut me a break" and do the install for only around $60-80, but there I go again with tight cash.

Then I saw this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvbX_CzmYk

What says the hive?  Is this a valid method (apart from his whimsical attention to precision) to secure an A2 block?
View Quote
His method is much like mine, although I do not use a smartphone to line up the FSB. It seems to me that there could be significant margin of error using the smartphone as a level but if he has had success with it more power to him. I documented my method here:

http://acatholicmechanic.blogspot.com/2016/02/diy-a2-front-sight-base-install.html

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]

http://acatholicmechanic.blogspot.com/2016/02/diy-a2-front-sight-base-install.html

I did this on a build a few months back. basically followed alpharomeofifteen's method.  I also added the extra step of milling flats into the barrel for 2 of the horizontal set screws to catch into.  Don't remember if i did that to the front or back ones though.  It has been rock solid.  I've run some training classes with it, beat it around pretty good and it has held steady out to 100 yards with no problem after all the abuse.  Havent had a chance to shoot it beyond that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent thread, thanks for posting!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. Waiting on the barrel. Also, a friend has offered the loan of a drill press.

I'll post the results.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top