Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2016 1:19:21 PM EDT
This is a small issue that's driving me mad.  I have an 80% lower that's perfect except it doesn't point fully at SAFE.  It does function check fine. Have any of you played with the detent to fix this problem?  There is an adjustable ambi selector here but I don't want to spend $60 on a $50 receiver.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/adjustable-reversible-selector-sku452000043-26528-51650.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-452-000-043&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=452-000-043&gdffi=08de76408978434b83b40ee6631fc110&gdfms=0540BC2E74DD42F6AC7BBDEE5A0A4F95
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/adjustable-reversible-selector-sku452000043-26528-51650.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-452-000-043&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=452-000-043&gdffi=08de76408978434b83b40ee6631fc110&gdfms=0540BC2E74DD42F6AC7BBDEE5A0A4F95

This selector is not going to solve your problem.  The selector handles are not adjustable in terms of "clocking" on the main body of the selector.  Your problem is the result of an improperly drilled selector hole in the 80 % lower receiver.  It is slightly mislocated with respect to the predrilled vertical detent hole.  You are just going to have to live with it.  Plugging and redrilling the detent hole will most likely not go well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought 5 lowers. 1 clocks perfectly and 3 don't.  I haven't finished the last one yet.  The link I posted says that you can clock in any position, still I'd like to hear from end users.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is a small issue that's driving me mad.  I have an 80% lower that's perfect except it doesn't point fully at SAFE.  It does function check fine. Have any of you played with the detent to fix this problem?  There is an adjustable ambi selector here but I don't want to spend $60 on a $50 receiver.

View Quote

You drilled the hole for the safety in the wrong place....
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd bet most people you show your gun to won't even notice.
I would not worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought 5 lowers. 1 clocks perfectly and 3 don't.  I haven't finished the last one yet.  The link I posted says that you can clock in any position, still I'd like to hear from end users.
View Quote

Don't see that in the ad. You can see that the two lever are engaged in precut slots. Only adjustment is the set screw in the drum for trigger travel before being stopped by the drum/set screw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
where did you get the lower? my modulus lower seem's fine.... but maybe that's why they don't have the safe and fire marking's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
where did you get the lower? my modulus lower seem's fine.... but maybe that's why they don't have the safe and fire marking's.
View Quote

Got mine from 80%.  Modulus jig.  This is what it looks like when on SAFE.  See how it's not up against the stop?  If I wasn't so anal it wouldn't bother me.

how to take screenshots
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you installed the FCG in the pocket to see how everything lines up?  It almost looks like the selector is pushed to far in and is stopping on the bottom of the safety selector stop.  Is the safety selector post even on the other side of the lower or is it protruding a small amount?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks like the selector detent hole was drilled slightly off. As you have already determined, it does not affect functionality in any way.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you installed the FCG in the pocket to see how everything lines up?  It almost looks like the selector is pushed to far in and is stopping on the bottom of the safety selector stop.  Is the safety selector post even on the other side of the lower or is it protruding a small amount?
View Quote

I just dropped the selector in an empty receiver to give you an idea as to what I have.  I'll probably just accept it as is.  I just like everything to be perfect!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just dropped the selector in an empty receiver to give you an idea as to what I have.  I'll probably just accept it as is.  I just like everything to be perfect!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your machining and measurement skills need to be perfect to avoid this condition on 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
What jig did you use on this lower, did you use a drill press, mill, router, did you drill the safety selector hole all the way through the receiver in one operation, or did you turn it over and drill side independently?

If that selector hole is actually off, I am wondering if your pin holes are off by the same amount.

When doing my lowers I drill all of my holes 1/4 inch deep before I start the milling process and when I do them, I do one side, turn it over and do the other side, that way I don't have to worry about deflection, even using a hand drill at slow speed you can drill each side 1/4 of an inch with out worries, and then mill the FCG pocket out.

That said, I am still going to say, completely assemble the lower with the safety detent, trigger group and hammer to see how everything lines up, cause I swear it looks like that selector is to deep, and you have to have the rest of those components in place for everything to line up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you eliminate the selectors as being the issue by swapping the selector, detent, and spring from the one that is aligning properly into one of the ones that do not? May be as simple as a bad batch of selectors, detents, or springs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What jig did you use on this lower, did you use a drill press, mill, router, did you drill the safety selector hole all the way through the receiver in one operation, or did you turn it over and drill side independently?

If that selector hole is actually off, I am wondering if your pin holes are off by the same amount.

When doing my lowers I drill all of my holes 1/4 inch deep before I start the milling process and when I do them, I do one side, turn it over and do the other side, that way I don't have to worry about deflection, even using a hand drill at slow speed you can drill each side 1/4 of an inch with out worries, and then mill the FCG pocket out.

That said, I am still going to say, completely assemble the lower with the safety detent, trigger group and hammer to see how everything lines up, cause I swear it looks like that selector is to deep, and you have to have the rest of those components in place for everything to line up.
View Quote

I used the Modulus HD jig and 80% lowers.  I used a router than a drill press for the holes.  I drilled one side at a time.  I followed the directions exactly.  The selector in the picture could be a tad deep, I put it in an empty receiver just to show the position problem Im having. I have 5 differant selectors and they all point in this direction.  I milled out 5 receivers, the selector points correctly in 1, 3 are off and the last one I haven't assembler yet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I used the Modulus HD jig and 80% lowers.  I used a router than a drill press for the holes.  I drilled one side at a time.  I followed the directions exactly.  The selector in the picture could be a tad deep, I put it in an empty receiver just to show the position problem Im having. I have 5 differant selectors and they all point in this direction.  I milled out 5 receivers, the selector points correctly in 1, 3 are off and the last one I haven't assembler yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put it together and then see what you have.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like either the detent hole was drilled too far forward, or the selector hole is too far back. If you have access to a height gage, and pin gages they would tell you what's off, and how much.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#17]

The selector and detent hole should both be 5.573 from the front takedown hole. Either you put the selector hole in the wrong place or the 80% manufacturer put the detent hole in the wrong place. I have heard of both cases.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Very good Pictures. When the receiver is in the jig their is only one place to drill the safety hole.  Assuming the jig is correct, the detent hole is off or possibly the forging is to blame.  I'll contact both Modulas and 80% and see what they have to say.  I kind of like everything perfect, maybe the 80% stuff isn't for me.  I did get 1 perfect one out of 5.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you have a small drill bit or some type of pin you can stick up through the detent hole to see where it intersects the selector hole?  If so, that should tell you real quick if the detent hole is off.  If it intersects in the middle of the selector hole, then there is something wrong with the selector itself, if not, then the detent hole is off.  If it is the lower, then who ever you bought it from should replace it or them.

80% are so easy to do these days, they are for everybody, but things do happen every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 I'll contact both Modulas and 80% and see what they have to say.
View Quote

As most members here in the BIY section know, I am the tech rep for Modulus. I have already offered my thoughts on this subject back on post #10 in this thread, namely the selector detent hole being off. It seems that a few more folks more have come to the same conclusion since.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As most members here in the BIY section know, I am the tech rep for Modulus. I have already offered my thoughts on this subject back on post #10 in this thread, namely the selector detent hole being off. It seems that a few more folks more have come to the same conclusion since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I'll contact both Modulas and 80% and see what they have to say.

I had no idea you were connected to modulus.  Your input is appreciated.  At first I thought it was a bad selector as my first ones were extremely tight and took a great deal of work to even fit in the hole.  After I found I known good selector I knew my detent hole was off center.  Each receive is different, 1 is acceptable and the others are not (in my opinion).  

This one is way off.  You can see where the detent hole is slightly off center.
pic host

image uploading site

This one is better.  Detent looks centered but is slightly off
gif uploader

image uploading site

I'd be interested knowing how receivers from other sources have turned out.  What about billet?

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Number 5 is complete and of course it's off to.  I just sent an email to 80% Lowers to inform them of the situation.

screen shot
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Take a small diamond burr to the ends of the detent channel on the safety itself.  You can persuade the detent to stop in a slightly different spot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Grind the point off, Drill a divot on the selector face, Fill with white or red paint, Earn interwebz points, profit!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Grind the point off, Drill a divot on the selector face, Fill with white or red paint, Earn interwebz points, profit!!
View Quote

There are a few ways to make it better.  I think if were to grind off the stops completely it would be less noticeable.  I'm pretty sure there are some ambidextrous safety selectors that are adjustable but like I said I don't need a $60 safety on a $50 receiver.  

Bottom line, after buying the jig, 4 mill ends, receivers than spending hours milling, I would have been far better off just buying the receivers from Aero.  It was a nice family project though I just wish the results were better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My interpretation of the description is the adjustable feature will not do what you want.
I would contact JPE for the answer.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top