Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2016 3:07:51 AM EDT
Also I'm using a bcm m16 bcg if that matters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome silicon springs are good and they don't break the bank. Use a CAR buffer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
what about the new Geissele buffer spring and buffer? anyone have one? Not trying to steal the thread just curios.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
H2 buffer for certain, a heavier buffer spring (Sprinco Blue or Wolff XP) might improve how it feels to you.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Standard spring and CAR buffer will be fine. However, I run H buffers and standard springs. Is it better? My brain tells me it is, seems a little smoother on recoil.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
A Milspec Carbine from Colt comes with an H buffer (3.8 ounces) and not a carbine buffer so I'd start with that. A carbine buffer is only 3 ounces.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, your question is like saying "which is better, Ford or Chevy?"  Both question are going to get you plenty of opinions.

The standard carbine buffer is what was originally spec'd for the AR carbine, and for the original/predecessor of the M4 Carbine.  My carbine-length ARs run OK with standard buffers.

The H buffer, which weighs 4 oz compared to the standard buffer's 3 oz, can help smooth out the "feel" of a carbine-based AR.  The M4 originally came with a standard buffer, but issues with "buffer bounce" in sustained fire led to the introduction of the H buffer.  Later, feeding issues (which also led to development of the M4 feed ramps) prompted introduction of heavier buffers, and the H2 buffer became standard issue for the M4.

H2 buffers, used with standard springs, should work ok with just about any carbine, but may give you grief with light loads.  I am still "getting around to" getting an H2 for my M4 SBR, but that SBR lower works great with a standard buffer with everything - including my 10.5" 9mm upper.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: the H2 buffer became standard issue for the M4.
View Quote

Are you 100% sure about that. Every M4 I've seen in regular Army had an H buffer in it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It may be the SOCOM M4s only.  It's kinda cloudy when you're using the Intarwebs to find out Actual Data™.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A Milspec Carbine from Colt comes with an H buffer (3.8 ounces) and not a carbine buffer so I'd start with that. A carbine buffer is only 3 ounces.
View Quote

Thought standard CAR buffer averaged 3.8 and H was 4.0?

Nope. 3.0=standard
3.8 =H

Not sure what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what about the new Geissele buffer spring and buffer? anyone have one? Not trying to steal the thread just curios.
View Quote

I have one and it eliminates the vibration twang.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The best is probably with out a doubt a rifle receiver extension and fixed stock with a rifle buffer and spring.  Then you are stuck with a fixed stock.

The next best is the a5 system.  What spring weight and buffer weight depend on things like which ammo you are shooting and gas port size but the standard setup seems to be pretty forgiving.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It may be the SOCOM M4s only.  It's kinda cloudy when you're using the Intarwebs to find out Actual Data™.  
View Quote

I think that may be the case, but when I looked it up I also got tons of conflicting info. Maybe the Army is in a transition period, who knows.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a BCM 16" upper and I used this:  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-mil-spec-buffer-tube-assembly-prod56055.aspx
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean "the sound of freedom"?  (The twang and jet noise tie for that title...    )
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm currently using an h buffer. This is my exact lower-  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/complete-lower-w-bcmgunfighter-stock-sku100018639-83804-176963.aspx?sku=100018639
I'm just wonder if the h buffer is enough in a 16 inch carbine gassed riffle.

Also my upper-http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-16socom.htm
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy an H2 and and H buffer. Try the H2 and if it works with low powered ammo keep it and sell the H. If it fails to cycle the low powered garbage, switch to the H and sell the H2.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I like an H2 in 16" carbine gas guns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the Anderson Tube, Buffer and Spring kit for my build.
18" Socom.. it should be fine. Anderson is generally of good Quality.
If you have an opinion please post it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top