Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:37 AM EDT
Brownells B-Tac BCG

Yeah its cheap but is it too cheap. This is for a gun I am building my son as a transition from a 10/22 (which he is good with the iron sights)  to a full up rifle with a MRO as the sight.

Did some searching but no real data on this Particular BCG yet that I have found.

If it turns out to be a turd it will be going back and I guess I will buy a BCM BCG.

AND Its going back. IT came today while I was at work 11am - 11pm. I get home open box and find a bunch of inflatable packaging on the top NOT bubble wrap.

Start removing packaging and find plastic sleeve that bolt came wrapped in stuck to deflated inflated packaging strip. Pull out all this crap and find my stuff flopping around on the bottom. Bolt carrier is just  laying there looking at me going WTF dude what happened. Box had unwrapped bolt carrier, BCM gas block, BCM Brake, Faxon Barrel, Carbine Castle nut wrench, and some ladder covers. ALL just sliding around in the bottom of the box. WTF.  

Well what happended was some ass hat packed all this shit up and thew in a bunch of shit and didn't even bother to try and stabilize it just let it slide along. Now I have bolt carrier that looks like hell and has dents and dings all along the side in the rail area where the bolt carrier rides in the receiver.  So I tried to breath and tried to take a breath and try to make it work. Carrier will not slide into upper receiver with ease you have to force it about half way through. Almost got it stuck.

NOW I am pissed. Got to go check the barrel and other stuff to see if its ok Wrench is not even in the packaging it came it hanging out almost all the way out. I may take pictures I am pissed.

OH if you check the link there is a review on there with pictures showing the scratches  and also describing the Shitty packing job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
it is the right one
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see anything wrong with it, they sell a lot of those BCG's  I buy mine from PSA  and they are running strong. You are gtg with that BCG.

What makes you think it is the wrong one?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I know its the right BCG, IE it will work. Just wondering if it was too cheap and crappy and after a couple thousand rounds have issues.
Most stuff I have done has been changing a factory guns around. This is the first true ground up build i have done.
His 10/22 has started to shit the bed and only CCI MiniMags run it, and now those are beginning to have issues. Just don't want another problem child.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know its the right BCG, IE it will work. Just wondering if it was too cheap and crappy and after a couple thousand rounds have issues.
Most stuff I have done has been changing a factory guns around. This is the first true ground up build i have done.
His 10/22 has started to shit the bed and only CCI MiniMags run it, and now those are beginning to have issues. Just don't want another problem child.
View Quote

I am really surprised you are having a problem with the 10/22 I own 3 of them and my first one I got for a Christmas present from my Dad over 45 years ago and have never had a problem with it at all and I have ran just about anything that you can think of through that gun, it eats anything I feed it?

As far as the BCG, no it is not to cheap, I pay less than that for my BCG's that I get from PSA, I normally wait until they are having a sale on their premium blems and order 2 or 3 of them, that is what I have in all of my builds and I just finished up my 14th build today.  So looking at what you are looking at, I would say, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say you done fine. Should serve you well, imo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slightly o/t but when was the last time you changed the recoil spring in that 10/22? Do you run it as wet as most people do their ARs? Before there was direct impingement, blowback operated guns were the ones known for getting nasty dirty and needing to be dripping wet with oil.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently purchased one of these BCG from Brownells along with their .300 blackout barrels and I was pleased with the quality for the price.  I put the upper together this last weekend and now I need to get to the range and give it a try.  Just remember they have a lifetime satisfaction warranty on them so save your receipt in case there are any issues.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
It should be fine. I doubt you will have any issues. People can have problems with $200  bcg's.

Brownell's doesn't make the BCG that same one is probably sold at other vendors for more $$$ Shoot it until you are confident in it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check the chamber on the 10/22 for a carbon ring. Carbon can build up in 22 chambers and cause all kinds of failure to feed and failure to extract issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Well apparently I did buy the wrong bolt carrier.

See update in OP...
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Well the barrel made it through due to its heavy plastic packaging and the Other parts except the carbine wrench were in heavy duty plastic packing and were ok. The wrench is 10 bucks and a cheapo wrench just weird it was pushed through its bag like that.

They will pay for shipping back to them and a refund minus the shipping to get it to me. I will try something else. OH well had a guy setup tomorrow to put the UTG Keymod pro on, time the BCM Comp, head space, and function test for $40 would go pick it up Sat. Morning. OH well guess booger won't be shooting this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Young m16 national match bcg is what you want. Buy once,cry once
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Sooo? How does "tell me if I bought the wrong bcg?" turn into "yeah my box was packed shitty now I hate my bcg?"
If you want a "pretty" bcg pay 2X the $, even get one with a fancy coating and a pretty logo.
As far as the packing job, well, retards are employed everywhere these days. Sorry OP, I woulda shot the shit out if it.

Edit: Sorry to hear you got screwed around. That is a hot mess, from the sound of it.Btw, I have good luck wirh AIM SURPLUS and DSA on my bcgs. Also have a PSA
with a pretty logo that works fine

Also, why start 2 seperate threads on this? Why not just keep it all in one? Curious.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Got a label from Brownells printed out to return it. They are paying to ship it back and refunding the money. So everything is good on that end. Still have to find a BCG

Don't know what other thread you are talking about only one post started about the BCG.

This morning I disassembled the carrier and checked the fit again. There is a dent in the lower right of the carrier rail area that seems to want to hang up in the upper.

OH well!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Post  just like it under AR basics. Same pics as yer review.Matter of fact, same idenical pics.Under a different user name/acct.? Fishy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't see any issue with the BCG
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got a label from Brownells printed out to return it. They are paying to ship it back and refunding the money. So everything is good on that end. Still have to find a BCG

Don't know what other thread you are talking about only one post started about the BCG.

This morning I disassembled the carrier and checked the fit again. There is a dent in the lower right of the carrier rail area that seems to want to hang up in the upper.

OH well!!!!!
View Quote

You should've known better than to order from a company based in Iowa!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Not a thing wrong with Brownells,  one of the top suppliers actually. Not the point tho, bcg in question looked fine imo. Just not frilly and logo plastered like alot of
mall ninjas think makes them a top tier warrior.

EDIT: Before the shit hits the fan, I am not saying that all bcgs with a logo are shitty. Only that shiny finishes and logos dont mean shit if they are not reliable under fire.
Dont like the cosmetics of it? Send it back, PSA has a sale on now. (With a logo).
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Post  just like it under AR basics. Same pics as yer review.Matter of fact, same idenical pics.Under a different user name/acct.? Fishy.
View Quote
Yeah that's weird.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_128/700990_First_BCG__how_bad_does_it_look_.html

The bigger question is why are members harping about customer service issues in a tech forum?

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#21]
so a bcg from one of biggest distributors (with a satisfaction guaranteed policy) in the U.S. might not be good enough for a heirloom but UTG stuff is?

BTW i looked for UTG stuff at Brownells and they don't carry any, hmmm...

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Yawn. Should be in GD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Here let me level the ship.  The other thread is not mine.

The point of the starting this thread was I was wondering if I bought to Cheap a BCG for the application. No problem with Nitrided stuff was going to order a BCM but they were out. SO I got a cheaper one thinking its only for my sons gun and its using a pencil barrel so no bump firing.

Well it turns out it wasn't that it was cheap that was the problem it was that Brownells Screwed up the packaging and the Carbine Wrench got loose in there as well and made some 2 very big dents into the sides of the Bolt Carrier that impeded function.

Brownells paid to ship back and I mailed it off yesterday and we are good. So where am I getting a BCG now.
Well yesterday before work I ordered a BCM BCG from Brownells.   So I am willing to give them another chance. Well see they screw this up, and if they do well then its so sorry charlie no more dealing with them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Same pics. Same topic. 2 days before. Just weird.  Enjoy your BCM parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never had as problem with Brownells, sucks that you order was damaged.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#26]
So I don't get it... OP, you said the other thread is not yours, but it has your pictures from the brownells review, which you say is yours.

So are those pictures ours or not?

Also post some new pics of the damaged bcg, I don't believe a bcg could get mangled beyond use from loose packaging.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Suspect OP just wants a bcg that impresses others or makes him feel warm n fuzzy. Not a run of the mill boring one.

ETA: "Other guy" post says hes from Va. Your Brownells review says your from Va.  This thread says your from Ga.

The ship is not level. I call BS.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I've ordered bcgs from cdnn and PSA recently, cdnn came wrapped in bubble wrap and PSA came in bubble wrap inside a cardboard tube. It is hard to believe Brownells just throws it in a box with other parts rattling around, but it's also hard to believe it could get damaged beyond superficial scratch's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Amazing how that "other" guy had a Faxon barrel in his order too that was packaged oh so nice but the BCG was tossed around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Ban hammer time?

Troll accounts get the ban hammer still right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#31]
This is how it looked when I opened the box just 5 more of the green "AIR Bladders" that were busted deflated. Took this picture just in case Brownells needed proof. Under the ladder packs was where I found the little plastic baggy for the BCG.  Tried to get pictures of the dents in the BCG but camera just couldn't handle it even on macro.  YES I need a new camera.

Once again other thread is not me. If your that worried please have site staff do some kind of internet secret squirrel shit and they will tell you dude from "VA" aint me Billy Bob.  

I usually think before I post and don't post, but in this case the "thread not turning out as OP hoped" is fitting.  OH WELL    Righting the ship is not need as it appears it has already covering the mast head.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#32]
There are at least three companies using those air pillows now. I have had to send stuff back for damage for the same reason and yes stuff is just placed in the box with those air pillows on top and it slides around. The more that pop the worse they bang together.
Boxes are ridiculously over sized sometime also for what is in them. I figured it has something to do with standardizing shipping for the carrier and the rates.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top