Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 12:45:57 PM EDT
I'm using 80% receivers milled using the Modulus HD jigs.  The milling went perfect and the appearance is outstanding.  I bought my LPK's from Brownells, it's made in the USA and came in the colored bags like a lot of other kits. The install went fine until I got to the safety selector.  It wouldn't go in the hole at all.  I sanded the selector using fine sand paper and ran a 3/8" drill bit through the hole.  It now fits OK but still has some tight spots while turning.  Also, I don't get a positive click when moved to the SAFE  position.  The selector points to FIRE OK but it's not lined up when put in SAFE.  The Safety detent shows ware even after using it a few times.  

I'm thinking my LPK is causing the issues.  This is the same kit used by many vendors.  I'm not impressed with the finish and would never use this kit on a quality build.  The poor finish makes me question the rest of the kit.  Have any of you experienced this before?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I am going to go with channels in the safety selector not machined correctly.  Now that said, if you can get everything installed, and pass a function check, then I would shoot it, between each shot, move between safe and fire, I had to do that with an Anderson kit I got, I shot 100 rounds, making sure I moved the safety selector each shot and it cleaned up and started to line up correctly.

The reason I did this, because it is a pain in the ass taking everything back out, bagging it up and sending it back and waiting a week or more to get a new kit.

With AR's sometimes you have to improvise, is this your only gun?  If you have more than one, the take the safety selector out of another and see if it does the same thing.

Another thing I have done on them, is a very small file and file a bit on the channels, then reinstall, check, file a little on the channels then reinstall and check function.

There are a lot of ways to get it fixed, just comes down to how much work you want to put into it.

As with anything to do with AR's, as long as it is withing normal limits, then it is considered good to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
After much fitting the safety selector will now fit in the hole but I still don't have a positive SAFE position and the pointer is not lined up correctly.   At this time I'm going with the fact that my selector is off.  I've always had good luck with Brownells and I'll get with them later.  The big question now is who makes a quality kit?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After much fitting the safety selector will now fit in the hole but I still don't have a positive SAFE position and the pointer is not lined up correctly.   At this time I'm going with the fact that my selector is off.  I've always had good luck with Brownells and I'll get with them later.  The big question now is who makes a quality kit?

View Quote

Hate to say this, but if it is mil quality, there is a lot of variance you can run into, but as was mentioned, also pull your end plate and make sure you didn't put the detent in backwards, just ran into this the other day, a buddy of mine brought his rifle over with the same exact complaint and after looking and twiddling around for a while, I loosened the end plate and took off the buffer, slowly slid the spring and buffer detent out and it was in backwards.  Reassembled with the correct orientation and it works like perfect.

So double check everything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I goggled this issue and found that some fixed it with a JP selector.  Have any of you used one?  

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.6_ss.php
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hate to say this, but if it is mil quality, there is a lot of variance you can run into, but as was mentioned, also pull your end plate and make sure you didn't put the detent in backwards, just ran into this the other day, a buddy of mine brought his rifle over with the same exact complaint and after looking and twiddling around for a while, I loosened the end plate and took off the buffer, slowly slid the spring and buffer detent out and it was in backwards.  Reassembled with the correct orientation and it works like perfect.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The detent under the end plate has nothing to do with the safety/selector.

The detent and spring for the safety/selector is accessed by removing the grip.

Make sure you try the safety without the trigger in place, then try it with trigger but no hammer. Also, hopefully you know that the safety should not move to the safe position unless the hammer is cocked with a fully assembled FCG.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I goggled this issue and found that some fixed it with a JP selector.  Have any of you used one?  

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.6_ss.php
View Quote

For those prices, I would just buy another LPK and take my chances.

$69 bucks for a safety selector?

Yikes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Make sure you try the safety without the trigger in place, then try it with trigger but no hammer. Also, hopefully you know that the safety should not move to the safe position unless the hammer is cocked with a fully assembled FCG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about that, I got my detents mixed up, you are correct.

Just excuse me today, I am a dumbshit.

Right thought, wrong spot!

One of the "Duh" moments!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree make sure the hammer is cocked back. I was stumped with that for a while before i figured it out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
There was also an issue with some lowers where the detent hole was mis aligned.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking for a new LPK without the FCG or grip.  Any suggestions on a known quality kit?  BTW, I just talked to my son-in-law who has the exact same lower.  He got his LPK from Del-Ton and had the same problem.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a new LPK without the FCG or grip.  Any suggestions on a known quality kit?  BTW, I just talked to my son-in-law who has the exact same lower.  He got his LPK from another source and had the same problem.
View Quote

Well,

That would lead me to believe you guys got a hold of the misaligned detent hole models.  I would contact who you got them from and let them know you and your son are having a problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well,

That would lead me to believe you guys got a hold of the misaligned detent hole models.  I would contact who you got them from and let them know you and your son are having a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking for a new LPK without the FCG or grip.  Any suggestions on a known quality kit?  BTW, I just talked to my son-in-law who has the exact same lower.  He got his LPK from another source and had the same problem.

Well,

I'll locate a known good safety selector tomorrow and give it a try.  I think I have a couple of Colts around here someplace.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:I'm not impressed with the finish and would never use this kit on a quality build.  The poor finish makes me question the rest of the kit.  Have any of you experienced this before?
View Quote
Because I'm a lefty, I have never actually used the basic selector that comes in in parts kits. I have also become a fan of short throw levers which are likewise not included in parts kits.

In regards to not getting a positive click, as well as not pointing all the way at the safe indicator marking - check to see if the selector lever is hitting the raised "stops" on the outside of the receiver, before being able to turn all the way toward the SAFE position. It may be that these raised parts are not aligned correctly, or that you drilled this hole too high. What I mean, is there are two little raised portions of the receiver material to the front and rear of the selector lever, that prevent it from over-rotating. If the lever is hitting on the one to the rear of the hole before fully reaching "SAFE", then you may be able to file some of that tab away (or some of the edge of the lever, if the finish on your receiver is more important to you than the lever) to get the lever to fully rotate to point at SAFE, and probably "click" in.

FWIW: Without that "click" I wouldn't rely too heavily on that selector to remain in the SAFE position.
A dictionary definition of detent:
a mechanism that temporarily keeps one part in a certain position relative to that of another, and can be released by applying force to one of the parts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Pull the safety.  See if the detent goes into the safety hole.  Often, drilling the safety hole produces a burr in the safety detent hole which keeps the detent itself from pushing into the safety as is should.  The detent should bottom out on the small rim at its base.  Which would put it about half way through the safety hole.  Not saying that IS the problem, but it's happened enough I now clean every one with a drill bit by hand prior to assembly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Brownells sent me 2 new safety selectors (no charge). They dropped right in just like there suppose to.  I still had the issue of the pointer not pointing fully to safe and It felt like the detent was off.  When I bought these 80% lowers I got the 5 pack.  I installed all my parts into another lower and it works perfect!  I assumed that all my lowers were made at the same time at the same place but maybe not.  This one receiver is just a little off.  I'll take a closer look at it when I'm through with this build.  I bought it through Modulus, I'll contact them also.  

So... My findings, my LPK was bad and this one lower could have been machined off a bit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top