Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2016 8:09:52 PM EDT
Finished assembling an AR--15 (5.56). I bought a completed upper assembly, and I am using a Midwest Industries BCG. Should I get a headspace check?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say without knowing the brand of the upper. It if it's all quality parts I'd say no. But if i5 makes you feel better get a field gauge and check it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed aero precision about this. They said all there uppers are headspaced. They said it never hurts to do a field check though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Your bolt could be off, unless it came with the rifle and aero headspace it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It's your gun, but I just use a loaded cartridge.  If it goes bang we GTG ;-)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's probly the worst advice I have ever heard. It's not tight headspace that'll get you. Excess headspace. Huge potential to a kaboom with excess headspace.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You should.  Truth be told.  Most people who build their own don't.  Many talk a big game about safety but don't follow it.  

I have not had one of mine fail a field gauge which is what you need to check it with.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Tens of thousands of AR's are assembled without a headspace gauge check. It is NOT a standard manual action arm with pressed barrel in a trunnion requiring the bolt be installed to assemble correctly.

Just go shoot it. Check the first round for overpressure, stretching, cracks, etc. AR's assembled from components that came from opposite ends of the country are built and shot every day. Kabooms are extremely rare - recently the majority are guns with .300BO stuffed in the chamber. Odds right now are that will be a bigger danger.

Eight years ago this forum made fun of people who bought a headspace gauge, now it's the opposite. Unless you have a serious issue with closing the bolt on standard ammo, checking for headspace by the legion of previous assemblers wasn't done. And those guns are not yet blowing up.

Me? I bought a matched headspaced  BCG and barrel from my 6.8 supplier because the package was cheaper than separate parts. If headspacing is a concern then that needs to be addressed when you purchase it. Later in the game? They don't sell bolts sized over or under . . . and changing the barrel extension for a few thousandths more means you are better off buying another one. Don't buy cheap is your best insurance - but it's still no guarantee. Only their CS is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should.  Truth be told.  Most people who build their own don't.  Many talk a big game about safety but don't follow it.  

I have not had one of mine fail a field gauge which is what you need to check it with.
View Quote

This

I have tested only 3 ARs, and one of them failed with excessive headspace.  I was one of those who doubted if I needed to test headspace since I was buying very high quality components from very reputable manufacturers, but the truth be known, even the best can let something slip through.  If you're going to assemble rifles, you should invest in gauges, or have a gunsmith check it before you shoot it.  I would hate for one us in this great community get hurt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's probly the worst advice I have ever heard. It's not tight headspace that'll get you. Excess headspace. Huge potential to a kaboom with excess headspace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions are like....well you know.... ;-)

Huge potential to kaboom???  C'mon!

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tens of thousands of AR's are assembled without a headspace gauge check. It is NOT a standard manual action arm with pressed barrel in a trunnion requiring the bolt be installed to assemble correctly.

Just go shoot it. Check the first round for overpressure, stretching, cracks, etc. AR's assembled from components that came from opposite ends of the country are built and shot every day. Kabooms are extremely rare - recently the majority are guns with .300BO stuffed in the chamber. Odds right now are that will be a bigger danger.

Eight years ago this forum made fun of people who bought a headspace gauge, now it's the opposite. Unless you have a serious issue with closing the bolt on standard ammo, checking for headspace by the legion of previous assemblers wasn't done. And those guns are not yet blowing up.

Me? I bought a matched headspaced  BCG and barrel from my 6.8 supplier because the package was cheaper than separate parts. If headspacing is a concern then that needs to be addressed when you purchase it. Later in the game? They don't sell bolts sized over or under . . . and changing the barrel extension for a few thousandths more means you are better off buying another one. Don't buy cheap is your best insurance - but it's still no guarantee. Only their CS is.
View Quote

Insane advice..............Pick up any Government Depot manual on M16 maintenance, always check headspace .......when doing a re-barrel or replacing components....................for safety sake..................and piece of mind and FACE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realise the rnd is gonna fit with excess head space right? Given enough excess head space it will kaboom. It's nots a tight chamber that won't chamber ammo that's gonna get you. It's the super sloppy .015 over no go gauge chamber that's gonna pop in your face. Just cause it chambers ammo doesn't mean it's right.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You do realise the rnd is gonna fit with excess head space right? Given enough excess head space it will kaboom. It's nots a tight chamber that won't chamber ammo that's gonna get you. It's the super sloppy .015 over no go gauge chamber that's gonna pop in your face. Just cause it chambers ammo doesn't mean it's right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take my chances, thank you.

Fire a round, inspect the case, repeat as necessary or desired.  

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This

I have tested only 3 ARs, and one of them failed with excessive headspace.  I was one of those who doubted if I needed to test headspace since I was buying very high quality components from very reputable manufacturers, but the truth be known, even the best can let something slip through.  If you're going to assemble rifles, you should invest in gauges, or have a gunsmith check it before you shoot it.  I would hate for one us in this great community get hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

$24 for a Field gauge from Brownell's.....
$30 for a MIN gauge from eBay........
$15 for a bolt disassembly tool from ARFCOM....

Peace of mind that components are within spec and gun won't blow up.....  PRICELESS!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm interested in this. Where can I get a bolt disassembly tool for $15 please?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Gun smith at local range checked mine for $10 and about 87 seconds of his time. It was worth it to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is that which you seek.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top