Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:19:20 PM EDT
The easy jig is probably the best jig on the market. 80% arms put some good engineering into their design. They're a great company with a great product and they take pride in their work.
THE GOOD:
- Router method was quick and safe
- Jig design and tolerances are top notch
- Jig is good for multiple uses
- Instructions are awesome!

THE BAD:
- I wish there was another plate included. One that had smaller guide holes in between the large 3/8 holes in order to remove more material. Would make for a lot less routing/milling. (more of an issue with 7075 lowers as compared to 6061)
- The jig requires you to drill the trigger/hammer pin holes with a 5/32 bit which is 0.1563". Standard AR pins are 0.154". This results in your pins rotating like crazy and possibly walking out. I believe the 5/32 hole spec compensates for the process of anodizing which may tighten the hole tolerances. The problem is that many 80% lowers are anodized before the holes are drilled. I wish I would have known this before I drilled my holes because it bothers me. I would have ordered a #23/0.154 bit online.

TIPS:
- Use a drill press
- Take your time
- Use 6061 alloy - 7075 is fine but it takes forever and you will most likely need 2 endmills
- Use cutting fluid
- Expect A LOT of aluminum shavings everywhere -use shop-vac during process
- Order 2 endmils -one may break and you'll have delay your build
- Use Birchwood Casey's "Aluminum Black" on your trigger pocket if you're OCD like me

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#1]
How long did it take?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Using the same jig the first one took me about three hours. Continually referring back to the instructions, anxiety about messing it up, and triple checking everything added a considerable amount of time to the process.

Now I can do them in about an hour and a half and I am not hurrying.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
First one took about 3-4 hour when taking your time. 7075 Aluminum is harder so routing takes forever to prevent chatter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I use KNS Pins on all my 80% lowers for the reason you mentioned. It is just cheap insurance and for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use KNS Pins on all my 80% lowers for the reason you mentioned. It is just cheap insurance and for peace of mind.
View Quote

Yes that's what I was going to do until I found out Geissele recommends that you do not use them with their triggers. I recommend buying an IRWIN #23 0.154" drill bit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

KNS now offers a pin set specifically for the oddball Geissele diameter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that's what I was going to do until I found out Geissele recommends that you do not use them with their triggers. I recommend buying an IRWIN #23 0.154" drill bit.

KNS now offers a pin set specifically for the oddball Geissele diameter.

These are the ones I have for my Texas Cola Warrior SSA-E trigger

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KNS_Precision_Gen_G_1550_Trigger_Group_Pins_p/kns-gen-g-bk.htm

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice build,so far I been using 1 end mill per 5 lowers at 7075 I haven't tried the 6061's yet I got three ready but haven't done them yet maybe tomorrow,have you had any issues with the safety selector holes?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice build,so far I been using 1 end mill per 5 lowers at 7075 I haven't tried the 6061's yet I got three ready but haven't done them yet maybe tomorrow,have you had any issues with the safety selector holes?
View Quote

I did have a few issues at first. I drill each side separately, then when I take the jig off, I redo the selector hole by slowly drilling through both holes and make a few in and out passes. The goal is to smooth the hole out, not to remove more material. This seems to line up the holes better. I do the same thing with the hammer and trigger pin holes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
What speed for the router....????
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What speed for the router....????
View Quote
Router speed thread
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top