Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 3:47:44 PM EDT
What size oring has been proven in the feild to take up a sloppy fit between upper and lower. I dont have a lot of loosness im the only one that notices it im just ocd.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What size oring has been proven in the feild to take up a sloppy fit between upper and lower. I dont have a lot of loosness im the only one that notices it im just ocd.
View Quote

I wish I could remember but I don't. I actually came to post that I tried the o-ring fix and while it does work if you never separate the upper and lower, it doesn't if you do. O-rings broke every time I closed and opened the receivers. Also, it won't work with a lot of free float rails.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm i intended to buy a few of them and replace after every cleaning. Imdidnt know about the free float,rails. I have ap free float rails.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay after looking at it i guess the oring method wont work. Poop.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of lower receiver do you have? If you by some odd chance have an Aero Precision gen. 2 receiver, it has a tensioning screw to lessen receiver wobble.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
No i have a modulus 80 with ap complete upper. I priced an accu wedge today the local gun shop sells them for 4 bucks ill pick one up tomorrow after i can get to the bank. Id like to know of any other things i can do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No i have a modulus 80 with ap complete upper. I priced an accu wedge today the local gun shop sells them for 4 bucks ill pick one up tomorrow after i can get to the bank. Id like to know of any other things i can do.
View Quote

Not worry about it?  That's what I'd do.  You're trying to fix something that isn't going to be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a lower made by Quentin Defense that has a set screw with a nylon tip inside the pistol grip tang. That screw goes into the rear takedown pocket and I think it is meant to take up any slack between the upper and lower. You will have to drill and tap a hole under it though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
.500 x.625 x.062 should work fine.  Any thicker cross section than that may get too crushed causing the rubber to fail.  Always install on the pivot lug only.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to truly eliminate any play between the upper and lower, JP makes a tensioning pin.  They are a little inconvenient when you want to break your rifle down, but they will absolutely lock down your lower and upper rock solid.

https://www.strongsidetactical.com/jp-ar-15-take-down-tension-pin/
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a #21 O-Ring  5/8x15/32x3/64
Available at ACE Hardware. Stock # 35738B
Made by Danco, Inc., Irving, Texas 75062

I've been using them for 20 years. They work great and see the best solution for receiver slop. Makes upper-lower hit rock solid. Goes around the front lug of the upper. Buy a bunch
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Op I am a bit OCD too I put my upper lower together and said man there is play its got to go. In my head I wanted to fix it but I wanted to wait and think about it consider all the fixes are only semi perminant and add extra parts. Oddly I ended up forgetting about the issue and its no longer an issue. If you want to fix it by an matched upper and lower set. Any other method is just a band aid. Well the tension screws are pretty nice assuming the play isnt so massive it causes a large gap. You do what you want I am just voicing my opinion.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top