Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2016 11:00:43 PM EDT
Any good videos out there? Not finding anything worthwhile on youtube...
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a video?  They are pretty simple to do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing to it.  Unless you're tig welding, cover up everything you don't want covered in spatter.  Otherwise, yeah, I get it, it can be a little intimidating the first time, but after that, you will spend far more time looking for something else to weld while you have a everything out and at the ready.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

helpful
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nothing to it.  Unless you're tig welding, cover up everything you don't want covered in spatter.  Otherwise, yeah, I get it, it can be a little intimidating the first time, but after that, you will spend far more time looking for something else to weld while you have a everything out and at the ready.
View Quote

Yes it is with a TIG, thanks for the tip. I don't plan to do it myself... my coworker is a car guy  and has all the tools, but not familiar with this process. Was trying to make it easy for him.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

helpful
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

helpful

Wasn't meant to be helpful, it was honest, set the depth on your chosen tool, drill the hole, drop the pin and then hit it with a small tack of weld, clean up with a file and then cold blue, pretty simple process.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... you will spend far more time looking for something else to weld while you have a everything out and at the ready.
View Quote

This is the problem I have when the welder comes out

I have a small MIG and as others mentioned, cover what you don't want spattered... which means everything beside the spot to be spot weld. I like to leave the weld proud to the surface as proof of weld and position it underneath the barrel. If you need to remove, its easier to do too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
if using a TIG, do you need filler metal?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
High temp silver solder is also an option to pin the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if using a TIG, do you need filler metal?
View Quote

I'd suppose so.  You might have to add to the puddle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have a small MIG and as others mentioned, cover what you don't want spattered... which means everything beside the spot to be spot weld. I like to leave the weld proud to the surface as proof of weld and position it underneath the barrel. If you need to remove, its easier to do too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... you will spend far more time looking for something else to weld while you have a everything out and at the ready.

Wrap it with aluminum foil.  I used duct tape.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Did my 14.5 with an extended A2 from the Online Store. Drilled the 6:00 hole for a 6/32 thread, installed A2 with crush washer, drilled a dimple in the barrel, installed a allow set screw with dog point in barrel, cut off extra set screw and hit the top with weld.
Use tin foil to protect from splatter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
High temp silver solder is also an option to pin the barrel.
View Quote

This is not a pinning method.
It is a legit way to install a muzzle device by silver soldering the thread joint with High Temp silver solder. No pin required.
Silver solder should not be used to cover a pin, Spec says weld witch silver solder is not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Not even worth worrying or arguing about again, it has been done many times here.

I just really don't understand why it is so confusing when it comes to permanently attaching a muzzle device.  It is one of the easier things we do on AR's!

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not even worth worrying or arguing about again, it has been done many times here.

I just really don't understand why it is so confusing when it comes to permanently attaching a muzzle device.  It is one of the easier things we do on AR's!

View Quote

Good point.
I think it's because it is an operation that both requires more than hand tools(a welder), some basic skill, and is a procedure that is not done often enough by most to gain that comfort level you speak of.
I'm working up to it but have had both of my 14.5's done by a local shop.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I drilled the FH
screwed it on
drilled though the threads of barrel (only) with a 1/8" bit, using the FH as a guide.
Flipped the drill bit around in the drill and touched it to a grinder, giving it the same angle at the cutting end.
stuck the non cutting end into the hole and marked it, pulled it out and cut it off.
Stuck it back in, trim to final length, and weld it.

Do everything but the welding, and that would make it easy for him.

If the pin goes in as deep as the root diameter of the threads on the barrel, its not going anywhere  without shearing  the pin and destroying the threads to get off.

If you drill into the barrel threads, tell you have no threads showing, your slightly deeper anyway because of the point of the drill. This is why I ground the bit to match the cutting angle.

It may have taken me longer to type this out with my 2 fingers than to do it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I drilled the FH
screwed it on
drilled though the threads of barrel (only) with a 1/8" bit, using the FH as a guide.
Flipped the drill bit around in the drill and touched it to a grinder, giving it the same angle at the cutting end.
stuck the non cutting end into the hole and marked it, pulled it out and cut it off.
Stuck it back in, trim to final length, and weld it.

Do everything but the welding, and that would make it easy for him.

If the pin goes in as deep as the root diameter of the threads on the barrel, its not going anywhere  without shearing  the pin and destroying the threads to get off.

If you drill into the barrel threads, tell you have no threads showing, your slightly deeper anyway because of the point of the drill. This is why I ground the bit to match the cutting angle.

It may have taken me longer to type this out with my 2 fingers than to do it.
View Quote

you just talked me into doing mine myself at the shop...
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Filler metal? Tig?

Yes, just a bit. Enough to make a slight convex puddle. You dont want an ugly crater (shitty pothole). I take a fine flat file to mine just to touch it up a bit then tape everything off except that spot and hit it with high temp stove paint. Blends right in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I tig welded mine.  very small amount of filler.  Mostly just let the brake get hot and pool in around the pin, then hit it with the filler.  Probably didn't take 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone know if the SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake is parkerized, and if so, how do you ground it for TIG welding? Also, how many AMPS are needed?

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't go crazy with the drill just dimple the barrel. You don't have to drill more than 1/16" ish. You can use a cut piece of hanger as the pin.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake is parkerized, and if so, how do you ground it for TIG welding? Also, how many AMPS are needed?

View Quote

Dont know about ASR mb, but I use BCM A2Xs and they are parked. I set my heat at 200, but I run a little hot. I put my ground clamp right on the flash hider, make sure its secure or itll throw an arc and possibly smoke your device with a nasty arc strike. Its easy, dont sweat the details OP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

When someone starts TIG welding they start out at max amps (I do anyway) then ramp down to what they are welding, it will take about half a second to burn in the pin. You don't need filler rod for this.

It's not hard to do. Clamp the ground to the barrel and TIG it up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually pick up the short end throw aways from the stick welder.  Most of em are 6013 or some other mild steel rod, but I haven't noticed any of them making a difference one way or the other.  They make good pins as they are quality alloys and being free is just a bonus.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top