Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2016 11:16:05 AM EDT
I have built an AR Pistol that functions perfectly EXCEPT the bolt stop. The bolt stops, but it stops short of being back far enough to pick up a round. The bolt catch when operated MANUALLY does the very same thing: it stops the bolt carrier but not back far enough at all. The bolt stop, when operated manually stops the bolt about 1" forward into the ejection port. I have replaced the entire bolt catch system, I have tried a 2nd bolt carrier group, nothing seems to stop my bolt in the right place when operated manually or at full function upon empty. When you change to the next magazine, this forces you to drop the bolt, insert the newly loaded mag, then rack the bolt and it does fine. If you empty a mag, the bolt stops, but too far forward and it will not pick up a round.

Suggestions? No it has not been dry fired, yes I have tried 2 bolt carriers-same thing.

DR
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Which part are you referring to when you say "bolt stop?" Also, what length buffer tube, buffer, and type of spring are you using?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the bolt catch actually catching the bolt face or catching on the carrier for some reason? Possibly the wrong length buffer spring?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]

The bolt catch is catching the carrier not the bolt face

The Buffer tube is a pistol style. The carrier will pull back PLENTY far enough for the bolt catch to catch the bolt, it just doesn't. It's almost like there is no bolt face there, but the bolt carrier is  perfect. The bolt is NOT beating up the buffer either, not a mark on the buffer other than slight paint wear.

Pic coming....

DR
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Check your spring and buffer tube.  How far past the bolt stop can you pull the bolt when the charging handle is fully retracted?

If you have a rifle spring in a carbine length pistol tube, it won't let the bolt fully retract like it should.  If the tube is short, it won't let the bolt fully retract like it should.  Both of these will result in the bolt catch hanging on the carrier instead of the bolt face.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check your spring and buffer tube.  How far past the bolt stop can you pull the bolt when the charging handle is fully retracted?

If you have a rifle spring in a carbine length pistol tube, it won't let the bolt fully retract like it should.  If the tube is short, it won't let the bolt fully retract like it should.  Both of these will result in the bolt catch hanging on the carrier instead of the bolt face.

View Quote

This, or perhaps you have a strange receiver extension tube that is shorter than the standard.

How about some pics of:

-The BCG, buffer weight, and spring all removed from the gun.

-The receiver extension (aka buffer tube)

A close up of the bolt catch as viewed with the upper removed, to see if it is damaged or broken in some way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you use a pistol length buffer spring?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Anderson lower?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Would either be the buffer tube length or wrong spring size.

I had a similar issue with a cheap unnamed buffer tube with a notch cut out for the detent. It made the buffer tube length a hair too short. Totally unusable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes Anderson Lower.

Pic's later tonight

My buffer is:
PC-armament, Model 4/15 .223 5.56 Style tube extension kit. Anodized RED.
Sold by: PC-Armament

My buffer has no notch but it is cutout in a weird way:

http://www.pc-armament.com/#!Exciting-New-Products-Release/fcc7r/563ad41d0cf275e9c5986bac

DR
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
What do you mean, doesn't have a notch?  The pictures on the website show the end plate groove with the notch in the extended section. I like the Red!  A picture of the buffer tube, an angle showing the buffer retainer with buffer would be helpful.  Maybe a picture with the buffer spring removed.  Maybe they gave you the wrong spring length.  Also, I would look inside the tube itself and make sure it's empty.  I had a similar tube and they packed an additional pad in there at the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes Anderson Lower.

Pic's later tonight

My buffer is:

PC-armament, Model 4/15 .223 5.56 Style tube extension kit. Anodized RED.

Sold by: PC-Armament

My buffer has no notch but it is cutout in a weird way:

http://www.pc-armament.com/#!Exciting-New-Products-Release/fcc7r/563ad41d0cf275e9c5986bac

DR
View Quote

That is the buffer tube, or more accurately, the receiver extension.

The buffer is the weight that reciprocates in the extension, between the BCG and the action spring.

Some are longer than others, and may limit the full travel distance of your BCG, thus preventing lockback.

You should have a traditional carbine sized buffer and action spring, as seen in the bottom of this image:

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, you're correct, mine has a notch.

Seems I had two things at play that fixed the problem. I loosened the castle nut and backed off the buffer tube one turn, and I compared the springs length to another AR spring I had on the bench. My spring was 2.5 turns LONGER. So...I backed off the buffer tube one turn and cut off 2.5 rounds off the spring. Works perfectly now!!!

Thanks SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO HELPED!!!!!!

DR
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like it had a rifle spring in it. I would buy a replacement carbine spring. Damage Industries has their enhanced carbine springs on sale for $6 pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
jaqufrost,

Why buy another spring? I used bolt cutters on this spring, so the temper has not changed. I also filed the cut round and smooth.

I do not at all mind buying another spring! Not at all, I'm just trying to understand why.

Thanks so much!

DR
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
No need to buy a new spring if you cut it to the right length. Unless it will make you sleep better at night.  It will make no difference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry, you're correct, mine has a notch.

Seems I had two things at play that fixed the problem. I loosened the castle nut and backed off the buffer tube one turn, and I compared the springs length to another AR spring I had on the bench. My spring was 2.5 turns LONGER. So...I backed off the buffer tube one turn and cut off 2.5 rounds off the spring. Works perfectly now!!!

Thanks SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO HELPED!!!!!!

DR
View Quote

Careful how far you back out the receiver extension. When I did mine, it barely held onto the buffer retainer pin. So after the bolt cycled a few times, the retainer slip out and jammed the bolt.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top