Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2016 11:09:27 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting an 80% polymer lower as a fun summer project for my son and I. If it turns out good I would probably move to the forged ones but figured I would start with a polymer first. Are they all fairly equal in finished performance?  Any brands to stay away from?  Are the ones with the brass insert for the buffer tube threads worth it or is it just marketing?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for answers
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a Polymer80 lower that works real well. My only complaint is that there were some minor details like detent holes that were not completely drilled, and another detent hole being off. Otherwise the rifle sees no difference at all. It's good if you have limited tools, if you have the means to machine aluminum go with aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done some 80% forged and billet lowers with the 80% easy jig.  Really easy to do.  I have a 22lr build I'm going to try one of the Polymer 80s to swap out with my billet lower.  If I ever get around to it I'll be sure to come back with my opinion on Aluminum v. Polymer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My advice is don't, the cons outweigh the pros
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My advice is don't, the cons outweigh the pros
View Quote

^^^^^

This, to many reports of failures on the polys, with the prices the way they are right now, if you have the means, the aluminum lower is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I made one. A JMT poly lower. I don't beat the shit out of it and when its shot it is done lightly. Something just to have to bring to the range for someone to use if they need one.

it feels sturdy but I would never use it as a truck gun where I throw it around, or a competition gun where it would be shot a lot. or a HD gun where I need 100% without a doubt reliability (not that it hasn't been reliable) but for the money I can just as easily get a quality aluminum one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Their flock lower is good but clocks were designed to have plastic frame in the first place. If I could change anything I would make the rear slide aluminum or 1018 steel
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top