Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 8:29:57 PM EDT
Hello,

Typical an AK fan here, but I'm thinking about building an AR from an 80% lower. My question is does the brand matter or are they mostly the same. I saw this one online which seems like a really good deal. I contacted the company and they said it could be completed with just a drill press. Does this seem like a good choice for the lower for my first build? Thanks for any insight.

http://patriotarmsandsupply.com/product.80-anodized-lower-receiver-with-finishing-jig-and-drills-72-2525

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Although I've never completed one with a drill press jig- I've seen pictures of those who have and they do not turn out as well as the router based jigs.

Drill press spindles are not designed to be side loaded and sometimes bad things can happen when you do.

I recommend one of the router based jigs. They are more of an investment (cost of jig is more and you have to buy a router if you don't have one), but the return is worth it.

Search- 80% Arms or Modulus Arms.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Just as soon as I open up the machine shop I'm going to start work on an 80% in my spare time. It's either that or fish.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although I've never completed one with a drill press jig- I've seen pictures of those who have and they do not turn out as well as the router based jigs.
Drill press spindles are not designed to be side loaded and sometimes bad things can happen when you do.

I recommend one of the router based jigs. They are more of an investment (cost of jig is more and you have to buy a router if you don't have one), but the return is worth it.

View Quote

I would agree...  A router based jig is the way to go.  I like the Modulus HD jig.  Get it, Modulus's tooling kit, their Speed Drill Kit if you don't have a drill press and one of their recommended routers and I bet you won't be disappointed.  I've completed several lowers with this setup and had great results.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can highly recommend the jig from Modulus Arms. They are an Industry Partner here and also hang around and answer questions regularly.
View Quote

That's a good point...  the Modulus guys are super friendly and although I've not had any problems myself the few people around here that have had questions or issues have been taken care of quickly and with great customer service.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Brand of what?

Jig, yes it can matter.  If all you do are forged lowers then you can get any jig on the market.  If you have any interest in doing anything billet, uniquely shaped, or some polymers then you have to pay attention to the jig.  I personally use the Modulus Arms HD jig, my review can be found on here as well as a link to it on their website.  I bought it because at the time it was the only jig on the market that was universal and had steel side plates so I don't need to worry about the jig wearing out.  

Lowers, yes and no.  I've got 4 large flat rate USPS full of lowers packed in like sardines from many different vendors so my sample size isn't small, but not stupid large yet.  After buying a few from different places and looking them over closely I'm fairly certain for the generic raw forged lower it's same-same.  Some companies do a little nicer job finishing them up in terms of tumbling them longer to even out the finish but that's about it.  Anodized ones are a good deal if you're not wanting to mess with doing it at home or using a paint on finish like header paint or cerakote.  Again pretty much same-same across the board though there are some companies that do a better job on the prep and it shows in the finish.  It all depends on how picky your are about it.  With milled lowers there's a generic milled one that I have seen used by 5 or 6 different companies at this point, there's nothing really different about any of them.  I haven't messed with polymer lowers because they often cost more than a raw forged lower.  Unfortunately at this point I can't tell you which lowers came from which vendors.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt want some casting....

I wouldnt want something, someone, poured in a mold.

7075 only... no subs.

Get what you pay for.

It would be like SBR-ing a poly lower.

Your putting alot of time and money into something, you wanna keep. Do it right the 1st time, everytime, and never saying "I should have..."

1st post....Welcome
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I wouldnt want some casting....

I wouldnt want something, someone, poured in a mold.

7075 only... no subs.

Get what you pay for.

It would be like SBR-ing a poly lower.

Your putting alot of time and money into something, you wanna keep. Do it right the 1st time, everytime, and never saying "I should have..."

1st post....Welcome
View Quote

Show me an 80% casting and I'll be very surprised.  I haven't seen one of those for sale in almost 8 years now.

As far as 7075 vs 6065 in a lower you will be hard pressed to see a functional difference between the two.  6065 is a little easier to mill out, that's the one difference between the two you will notice.  If you're doing something that puts enough stress on the lower for that to matter A. you're doing something really stupid and wrong and B. you physically cannot exert the forces needed, or have the forces exerted on the lower needed to matter, and still survive if you're holding onto the AR.  The only 6065 lowers you'll find are billet ones anyways.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Hello,

Typical an AK fan here, but I'm thinking about building an AR from an 80% lower. My question is does the brand matter or are they mostly the same. I saw this one online which seems like a really good deal. I contacted the company and they said it could be completed with just a drill press. Does this seem like a good choice for the lower for my first build? Thanks for any insight.

http://patriotarmsandsupply.com/product.80-anodized-lower-receiver-with-finishing-jig-and-drills-72-2525
View Quote

View Quote
made hot

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have yet to see a cast 80% lower.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I milled 2.  They were gunshow buys from 10'ish years ago.  I'd put an 80% polymer over them any day.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I milled 2.  They were gunshow buys from 10'ish years ago.  I'd put an 80% polymer over them any day.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a long time ago in this business, hell I was still shooting what the army told me to shoot 10 years ago, whether it worked or not!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Back in the day, all "The Tannery Shop" sold was cast "80%" Lowers. (2001-2003?)

Cast A356 aluminum receivers, also some oddball alloys such as titanium, beryllium copper, etc.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I know they were out there, I have just never seen one!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see some pictures of these, if you don't mind posting some.

On topic, all of the forged ones I've seen have been pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

How does the router jig finished one come out better?  Smoother inside?  Huge difference or nit-picky difference?  

I am just testing the water and going up to a 80%  With the cost of a 100% it is already kind of a silly thought but it sounds fun.

EDIT, just saw you have to have a 2 axis vice... I would rather have a router if I gotta buy one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top