Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2016 1:34:18 AM EDT
I'm building my first AR and looking at which compensators. I like the idea of the linear compensators but are they really worth it? Also, how is the kick compared to a standard A2 type? I would imagine the kick is a bit more because the direction of the "push" but not to much since it's 556
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I wasn't finding anything for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Ar's don't really kick to begin with, the linear comp doesn't make it kick much more. IMO the advantage of sending the sound away from me, is worth the slight recoil increase.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My BRT linears were installed as part of the build so I have no before and after to assess recoil The first was a 6.8 and I can get one or two shots off in woodland without ringing my ears deer hunting - which is exactly what is needed.

The second went on a 10.5" pistol and it has cut the perceived noise at the ear, wearing muffs, to about the same intensity as the 6.8. Downrange I expect it to have the report typical of a pistol which has double the gas pressure exiting the barrel.

Linears do work well as they throw all the sound directly forward, unlike flash hiders and brakes which turn it sideways and allow it to hit the ear with more force - or the shooter in the next lane, too. There are no brakes used on close combat weapons due to close proximity of team members - you can't work together if the muzzle blast of the weapon is directed sideways at your buddies face and ears. In CQB work stacked in close assault those teams just go to silencers - but they also wear amplified muffs with commz built it to talk to each other.

You can get the usual A2 for about $10-12 shipped, a linear runs in the $40-50 range, but brakes tend to be nearly all $100. I see it as merchandising the marketplace - most muzzle devices are sold for cool, not an actual performance benefit. Brakes do reduce recoil and can keep the muzzle down for a faster more accurate followup shot - but you have to be a top 5% shooter to need it in 3Gun to see a benefit. In the field or on the street with 18moa targets moving around, almost nobody is trying to improve a 8 hit to a 9 - you're just trying to get the hit at all.

Linears are a nice step up and do perform, but don't expect any muzzle device short of a silencer to do very much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Midwest Industries linear comp and also the Levang Linear comp.  The recoil on the .308 with the MI is perhaps a bit more than a GI-style flash supressor.  Very subjective guess though.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top