Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2016 9:00:56 PM EDT
anyone use ballistic advantage barrels? have 2 of their lowers coming and looking at a 5.56 and 300 blackout barrel and looking for range reports.  they say sub MOA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a 16" mid on latest build. Sub moa is with match ammo but if i do my part the barrel does its. Will definitely buy more, actually ordering a few more  soon
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 11 of them and have been nothing but happy with them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Another happy BA user - 18" rifle-length Wylde barrel providing excellent service.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As mentioned, we guarantee sub-MOA with match grade. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I'd be happy to help. Nothing would make us happier than to get a BA barreled upper on that BA lower!

Now THAT is brand loyalty! Haha! glad to hear they are performing well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As mentioned, we guarantee sub-MOA with match grade. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I'd be happy to help. Nothing would make us happier than to get a BA barreled upper on that BA lower!

Quoted:

I'm up to 8 now myself.  They range from 10.5 to 18in in 5.56, Wylde and 300 blackout.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 14.5 mid gas from BA, and its definitely a shooter.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]

16" 300blk barrel, Barnes 120gr TAC-TX, 5 shots @ 75 yds

(sorry for the iPotato pic)

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Two lowers coming and looking at getting a 16 inch 5.56 and 300 blackout barrel. What is the difference in the Hanson and modern barrels as far as accuracy? I think I have the two models right. Any particular brand ammo they prefer? Will be mounting them in aero precision uppers
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I screwed up on posting this below. Still trying to figure out how to respond

Two lowers coming and looking at getting a 16 inch 5.56 and 300 blackout barrel. What is the difference in the Hanson and modern barrels as far as accuracy? I think I have the two models right. Any particular brand ammo they prefer? Will be mounting them in aero precision uppers
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Why kind of ammo do you use in your 300?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s725.photobucket.com/user/luny42183/media/Barnes%20120gr_zpsxn9gzd8z.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/luny42183/Barnes%20120gr_zpsxn9gzd8z.jpg</a>

What type of ammo?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah I screwed up on posting this below. Still trying to figure out how to respond

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both Hanson's and Modern on my various rifles and when you get down and dirty on the bench, I just have not found much difference,  Right now I am shooting 5.56 and .300 blackouts and they are both very accurate, I do all of my testing at 100 yards on my test range, I do notice if you get the Modern heated up to much it will start to drift a small amount, but all of my guns are shooting at 0.75 MOA right now, so I could not be happier.

Good luck on your choices.  I can tell you, they are a hell of a lot more accurate than the guns they issued me when I was in the service.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have both Hanson's and Modern on my various rifles and when you get down and dirty on the bench, I just have not found much difference,  Right now I am shooting 5.56 and .300 blackouts and they are both very accurate, I do all of my testing at 100 yards on my test range, I do notice if you get the Modern heated up to much it will start to drift a small amount, but all of my guns are shooting at 0.75 MOA right now, so I could not be happier.

Good luck on your choices.  I can tell you, they are a hell of a lot more accurate than the guns they issued me when I was in the service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What ammo have you had the best results from? Does the Hanson hold up to heat better and hold accuracy better? For the money and accuracy you can't beat them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
My .300 blackouts, I am running 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tips as well as 110 grain sierra handloads, right now I am running H110 power and small rifle Winchester 400 primers, the majority of my 5.56/.223 ammo is the standard PMC rounds that every body carries, like said, they both run just fine and they will put the bullet on the target, when you do everything as close to right, I run a lot of my PMC through one of my rifles with a bumpfire and as said, it does get hot and drifts a small amount, but not all that much if you really pay attention to what you are doing.  I think my PMC stuff is around 60 grains.  I don't really pay much attention, I pick up a box of shells and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What type of ammo?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s725.photobucket.com/user/luny42183/media/Barnes%20120gr_zpsxn9gzd8z.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/luny42183/Barnes%20120gr_zpsxn9gzd8z.jpg</a>

What type of ammo?

see above

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice, I was considering getting a Faxon barrel later this week for a build - but now I think I'll go with ballistic advantage.

I had never even heard of them until now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm very happy with my 10.5 BA barrel
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Got one on this bad boy and it is crazy accurate

This one is BA as well.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

TL;DR: BA Hanson>others not because of "better" accuracy, but because of insane controllability.

The modern series and Hanson (premium and performance series) will not see a large difference in inherent accuracy. The big draw to the Hanson barrels is the way the barrel reacts. The proprietary profile improves the barrel's harmonics; reducing barrel whip, and directs the force of the recoil in a linear fashion. This allows the shooter to really take Advantage (sorry, just had to do it ) of the rifle's mass and a stable shooter, to make for a very flat and soft shooting rifle. As I said for accuracy, the profile does not necessarily improve accuracy, but you will definitely notice faster, tighter groups under rapid fire... Not because of the "accuracy" of the barrel, but because of the improved controllability.

All of our barrels will shoot sub-MOA, Modern, Performance, and Premium series. Performance series and Premium series both have a recessed 11 degree target crown as an added touch to ensure consistent groups.

I hope this helps answer your question. I'm a bit passionate about this kind of stuff if you couldn't tell, I can easily talk about this all day.

-Tony @ BA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TL;DR: BA Hanson>others not because of "better" accuracy, but because of insane controllability.

The modern series and Hanson (premium and performance series) will not see a large difference in inherent accuracy. The big draw to the Hanson barrels is the way the barrel reacts. The proprietary profile improves the barrel's harmonics; reducing barrel whip, and directs the force of the recoil in a linear fashion. This allows the shooter to really take Advantage (sorry, just had to do it ) of the rifle's mass and a stable shooter, to make for a very flat and soft shooting rifle. As I said for accuracy, the profile does not necessarily improve accuracy, but you will definitely notice faster, tighter groups under rapid fire... Not because of the "accuracy" of the barrel, but because of the improved controllability.

All of our barrels will shoot sub-MOA, Modern, Performance, and Premium series. Performance series and Premium series both have a recessed 11 degree target crown as an added touch to ensure consistent groups.

I hope this helps answer your question. I'm a bit passionate about this kind of stuff if you couldn't tell, I can easily talk about this all day.

-Tony @ BA

Is there any plans to make a 300 blackout in anything other than the Modern?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay, I finally dug a box of ammo out, had to find one as most of my stuff is either in magazines or on strippers.

The PMC that I am running right now is PMC Bronze, 55 grain FMJ-BT and it shoots great out of the BA barrels I have used it in.

Sorry about that, I couldn't remember where I put the boxed stuff, I have about 10K rounds on hand, so I will be shooting it for a while.  I have also ran American Eagle through them and they are just about the same for being accurate.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We do have .300BLK in Performance and Premium series.

In our Performance series, we offer 8", 9", 8.3" BA Hanson, and 10.3" BA Hanson.
Premium has 8.3" BA Hanson and 10.3" BA Hanson.

-Tony @ BA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In our Performance series, we offer 8", 9", 8.3" BA Hanson, and 10.3" BA Hanson.

-Tony @ BA

How often do your barrels come in stock?

My first pick for a barrel is OOS.  Wondering if I should just go with my second choice or wait a little while.

(I'm impatient. )
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

-Tony @ BA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Tony @ BA

crap, i meant 16 inch
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

crap, i meant 16 inch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Tony @ BA

crap, i meant 16 inch

The 16" modern is a great barrel, I have been shooting mine for a while now and have no complaints at all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two BA barrels and they shoot better than me. Only complaint is they are a bitch to dimple for a gas block.  I will be ordering two more and need something better than a Dewalt titanium bit to use on the QPQ.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have two BA barrels and they shoot better than me. Only complaint is they are a bitch to dimple for a gas block.  I will be ordering two more and need something better than a Dewalt titanium bit to use on the QPQ.      
View Quote

Yes, they are a bitch, but I know I don't have to worry about them, I dimple them on my mill, with one of my end mills that I have modified.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I was going to post a question about BA barrel quality and reputation but I guess there's really no need to anymore after reading this thread. Just getting started on my second build, went with RRA M4 CM and BCG last time but NOW it's time for an upgrade. Glad I ran across this thread !
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Have two of their .308 barrels and one .223 they are very nice barrels with quality ammo it meets their guarantee which is sub MOA.

Probably the best barrel for the money available.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#35]
For those of you stating sub moa accuracy, are you firing 3, 5, or 10 shot groups? I am NOT wanting to start a shot group shit storm, I'm just curious
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All of our barrels are BA with our logo engraved. They are fantastic. Check out our website and if you see a model you like email. I run discounts for you guys
View Quote

Good to know.

ETA: Just installed a 5.5" 9mm barrel and am working out some issues with mags then I will surely be a happy customer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those of you stating sub moa accuracy, are you firing 3, 5, or 10 shot groups? I am NOT wanting to start a shot group shit storm, I'm just curious
View Quote

Depends which barrel.

I have a 16" SPR profile that will shoot 10 shot MOA groups, very happy with this barrel.

My 10" 300blk will only shoot 3 shot MOA groups, which is their standard.  5 shots or more are always 2-2.5 MOA.  Ive contemplated finding a better barrel but nobody else makes a 10".
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do all three methods when setting up a new rifle. and have not had much adjusting to do on any of them.  It just depends on what I am setting that particular rifle up to do.  I do know that all of my rifles will shoot better than I can these days.  None of my stuff is Short Barreled as of yet, I may build a couple of pistols in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have a 16" mid on latest build. Sub moa is with match ammo but if i do my part the barrel does its. Will definitely buy more, actually ordering a few more  soon
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a 16" SPR profile that will shoot 10 shot MOA groups, very happy with this barrel.

Cool I'd like to see those sub MOA groups.  In the mean time I added you to The Wall of Claim.

I have a 16" BA barrel but haven't had it out yet.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

-Tony @ BA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Tony @ BA

how will your 10.5" 5.56 barrels hold up to full-auto use?  i want to build an MK18 Mod 0 upper for my M16A1 that's currently running a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

i just hit them very lightly with my dremel with a grinding stone to remove a bit of the QPQ finish then dimple them with my jig from rainier arms and touch them up with some perma blue and lightly oil them and install the gas block.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#44]
6.5 Grendal. ..soon?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I have several BA barrels and love them 5.56, 300 blk, and 9mm. About 8 total and all shoot great even with plinking ammo. I only buy 2 brands of barrels anymore BA and Larue.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top