Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2016 12:42:43 PM EDT
So I was in the fun shop the other day, and I noticed a stripped upper in the case that was marked "USED - $30" Although it has cosmetic issues, it has no functional issues. So I decided to take some leftover parts, along with some new "clearance/sale" parts and start building a rifle that is even cheaper than what you would consider a "budget rifle." Some parts were takeoffs from other rifles and some were freebies, so that helps cut costs.

Upper

Unknown Stripped Upper "slick side" but does have a brass deflector. - $30
MAS Defense Omega 13" Hand Guard - FREE
PSA Charging Handle - $20
A2 Flash Hider - FREE
Daniel Defense Foregrip - $2.99

Lower

Anderson Mfg Stripped Lower - $60 (in shop / or pay $39.99 + $25 FFL fee, so I bought it in shop)
PSA M4 Stock - FREE
PSA Buffer, Buffer Tube, Spring, Endplate, & Castle Nut - $25
Fire Control Group - FREE
A2 Pistol Grip - FREE
Brownells LPK - $30

Total as of 7/25/16: $168

Still need

Barrel - $100ish
Gas Block -$20ish
Gas Tube - $10
BCG - $100 (if not on sale)
LPK - ???

And because this is a dirt cheap turd gun so far, I'm trying to find the most tacticool derpy optic for it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I love these "spare parts" cheapie builds. Keep us updated.

Brownells "B-Tac" looks promising:  http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=b-tac&ksubmit=y

Heard good things about Midway USA's "AR Stoner" line also.

The tacticoolest derpiest optic out there is the one you already own + the free app and their overpriced mount.

http://inteliscopes.com/

Why don't you get one and try it out for us?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Brownells "B-Tac" looks promising:  http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=b-tac&ksubmit=y

The tacticoolest derpiest optic out there is the one you already own + the free app and their overpriced mount.

View Quote

LOL I may just go with something from Primary Arms or the Bushnell T1 clone.

here's the mockup so far

Charging Handle and Buffer Assembly shipped today, so I'll have them soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
PA has a radical arms mid length for $99 right now.  Might be worth looking into.  I wish you could have gotten in on the $69 RBA barrels last year lol

ETA: That's how this gun started.  I looked around the shop one day and thought I had enough stuff to make a gun.  Only thing I had to buy was PA Dot / Mount.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#4]
KAK Value Line is also an option. I'm impressed with their barrels tbh. 4150 steel, melonited, they seem well machined and accurate for what they are. Just because it's a budget build, doesn't mean it can't be a tack diver. Brownells BTAC looks comparible though.

KAK Industries
Barrel=$110
Midlength
Carbine

5.56 NATO MELONITE BARREL
5.56 NATO CHAMBER
16.0 INCH
1:7 TWIST
41V50
.750 GAS BLOCK SIZE
NO DIMPLES
MUZZLE THREADED 1/2-28
MELONITE TREATED
M4 EXTENSION
MARKED FOR CALIBER AND TWIST ONLY
View Quote

Gas Block= $22.50
Gas Block= $22.50
Midlength Gas Tube $16.50 (Carbine is $15)

For the BCG either Aimsurplus or DSG Arms is good to go.

Prices are pretty close.

I've also been seeing DPMS LPK for $50. Anderson sucks real bad, avoid those LPK
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the input and suggestions guys! I'm going to take a look into all of it.

The shop down the street has some cheap gas blocks and tubes, which would save on shipping, but if I can get them on an order with a barrel or BCG that would be fine too. One stop shopping if fine with me
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I sold a bunch of Magpul parts, including the RVG pictured, but I happened to be looking online and found an LPK (minus the FCG & Grip) for $30 and a Daniel Defense A4 style foregrip for $2.99 lol. Luckily, while I was at a buddies house this weekend, he knew I was looking for parts and gave me a FCG and A2 pistol grip, so now all I need is the barrel, gas tube, gas block, and if I don't rob one of my other rifles, I need a BCG.

That brings my total up to $168 thus far

If I can get my hands on an $80 barrel, and another $30 for the gas tube & block, I'll be at $278 for a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a psa melonite discontinued kit for $299 delivered. The upper doesn't have a forward assist.  While back got some blemish 80% lowers which came out to $16.50 each.  I don't think I could get any lower, but others beat the bushes and find low priced parts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got a psa melonite discontinued kit for $299 delivered. The upper doesn't have a forward assist.  While back got some blemish 80% lowers which came out to $16.50 each.  I don't think I could get any lower, but others beat the bushes and find low priced parts.
View Quote

Just goes to show how cheap manufacturing parts really is
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a B-Tac barrel and a AR Stoner stainless barrel..........both in my parts bin as we speak..........For another option try Anderson Manufacturing...........I used one of  there barrels and it was great for the money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes either AIM or Damage Industries will have a Mossberg barrel for $89 on sale
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#11]
AR Stoner barrels are dirt cheap nowadays.  Sub $80.

Here is a $71.99 option.  Never used one so I can't speak to the quality but they seem to get good reviews.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are just rebadged bear creek arsenal barrels as they are often can be found with the same price and specs as a BCA labeled version.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/834998/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-m4-contour-1-in-9-twist-16-chrome-moly-phosphate

Speaking of which $72.50 for a BCA at Primary Arms.  Same specs.

http://www.primaryarms.com/b556cm41619p/p/b556cm41619p/

Midway will put their AR Stoner barrel with the melonite finish v. phosphate on sale for $79 quite often.  I like the 1:9 twist better than the 1:7 for 55gr but I think it would be worth an extra couple of bucks to get the melonite v. phosphate/parkerized.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AR Stoner barrels are dirt cheap nowadays.  Sub $80.

Here is a $71.99 option.  Never used one so I can't speak to the quality but they seem to get good reviews.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are just rebadged bear creek arsenal barrels as they are often can be found with the same price and specs as a BCA labeled version.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/834998/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-m4-contour-1-in-9-twist-16-chrome-moly-phosphate

Speaking of which $72.50 for a BCA at Primary Arms.  Same specs.

http://www.primaryarms.com/b556cm41619p/p/b556cm41619p/

Midway will put their AR Stoner barrel with the melonite finish v. phosphate on sale for $79 quite often.  I like the 1:9 twist better than the 1:7 for 55gr but I think it would be worth an extra couple of bucks to get the melonite v. phosphate/parkerized.
View Quote

PSA, Midway, and Primary Arms all have the barrels cheap, but I agree with you, I may just spend the few extra dollars and get a decent barrel. I, and friends, have had good luck with MAS Defense barrels, which run around $100-110. I don't mind paying for something that will last, and I'd prefer to stay away from any phosphate/parkerized barrels.

My orders from PSA and Brownells should be here by Friday, so I'll post an updated set of pictures then. AIM usually has BCG's for $90 and below, so I'll just be patient. Other than the barrel and BCG, I just need the gas block and tube. There's another fun show coming up, so I'll be on the lookout for random doodads in case I decide to build another like this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting on my LPK... UPS is going sloooowwwww

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
LPK came in, put it all together, and noticed a problem. The Anderson lower is out of spec, but I think it will still work.

Edit - Got it to work. I goofed and didn't account for the barrel extension flange thickness. It clears, but only by a hair.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Decide to rob more parts from another rifle. Always tinkering and building.

Here's the complete mockup, minus the barrel and BCG. I can order them now, but I'm holding out for some better sales. The DD rear fixed sight was on there out of curiosity. I'm most likely going to end up with some budget sights or a cheap optic. If I can keep the total core rifle cost under $400, I may buy a decent optic.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]
18" barrel came in!

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks great so far! What are the barrel specs? Still MAS defense just a different length?
I think I need to document a budget build.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks great so far! What are the barrel specs? Still MAS defense just a different length?
I think I need to document a budget build.
View Quote

Yep, I stuck with MAS Defense. They had the barrel to my door in two days

MAS Defense .223 Wylde 18" HBAR Mid-Length Gas for $119.99
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top