Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2016 12:13:03 PM EDT
Hey guys, my first AR just sits in the safe because it's sort of outdated.....and heavy. It has a surefire quad rail on it, bull barrel, and A2 front sight. I've been thinking about putting a KMR on it and just using it with iron sights, that would make it a LOT lighter.

So, I know that doing the KMR install will be a breeze, but I'd rather not have to put on a new gas block and such. I'm looking for a judicious and quick fix.

I was thinking about just chopping off the top of the A2 and then shaving it down to fit under the KMR, and painting over the raw metal. That would keep me from needing a new gas block.

Has anyone done this? Any reason not to do it? This isn't a rifle I rely on. Just wanting to turn a dust collector into a range shooter. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hey guys, my first AR just sits in the safe because it's sort of outdated.....and heavy. It has a surefire quad rail on it, bull barrel, and A2 front sight. I've been thinking about putting a KMR on it and just using it with iron sights, that would make it a LOT lighter.

So, I know that doing the KMR install will be a breeze, but I'd rather not have to put on a new gas block and such. I'm looking for a judicious and quick fix.

I was thinking about just chopping off the top of the A2 and then shaving it down to fit under the KMR, and painting over the raw metal. That would keep me from needing a new gas block.

Has anyone done this? Any reason not to do it? This isn't a rifle I rely on. Just wanting to turn a dust collector into a range shooter. Thanks!
View Quote
Plenty of people have done it with success and there is a guide somewhere on the forum. A shaved FSB makes a very secure gas block.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
it is routinely done and comes out fine, if fact very solid as its pinned.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Driving out the FSB pins is sometimes hard. I use a large heavy 12 inch punch shaped for the task. I use cold blue to blacken the shaved area and I use pins that I drive out to reinstall the shaved gas block. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
do it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Remove hand guard
Remove gas tube
Mask off barrel
Hack saw or cut off tool
Dremel to final configuration
Aluma black finish
Reinstall gas tube
Install new rail
Report back
Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
You coul sell it and use that money toward a new barrel configured the way want.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Works good for me.....

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
my $.02

if it is a fighting rifle, a pinned gas block is a must.  if it is a range gun, pull the gas block and put it in a bag; sometime later you may want to change the upper around, once you cut the gas block you cant restore it.

fatkid
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top