Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2016 10:51:25 PM EDT
I am gathering parts for my first accuracy build, and I believe that with the sale that LaRue is currently having, a 18" 5.56 PredatAR Barrel with M4 feed ramps will be a good choice. My intention is to purchase the barrel, the barrel nut, and the gas block with the gas tube, all from LaRue, and all on the same order.  I might just order one of his triggers as well…

My question is about the barrel nut and my as yet undecided handguard choice.  If I use the LaRue barrel nut, is this only compatible with a LaRue forearm?  I have no experience with the myriad of free-floating handguards out there but it seems that most of them use their own proprietary barrel nut, or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for any opinions you might offer.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would hold off on the nut. As you said, most handguards use their own proprietary mounting systems. The LaRue nut will just become a paperweight. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm doing the same build and have the same question! I look forward to the responses!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Doing that build with an 18" Stealth. I have those parts, but since I'm using an SLR Solo handguard, I'm using their barrel nut. I'll still use the LaRue block and tube, but the barrel nut won't make it. May get a better answer in the LaRue forum.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
If going for accuracy the stealth barrels might be a better option:
http://www.larue.com/556-stealth-barrel

I'm looking at those myself just not sure if I want to go 18" or 20".  I only have a 16" right now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Having 4 of the larue  barrels 16 and 18stealth,16and18predatar,get  there gas blocks and gas tubes from larue, there barrel nuts are fine if you are using a hand guard which attaches to the standard barrel nut,if the rail you decide on has it's own nut use that also buy there  new trigger, it's fantastic, by the way these barrels are really nice and accurate as all get out
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If going for accuracy the stealth barrels might be a better option:
http://www.larue.com/556-stealth-barrel

I'm looking at those myself just not sure if I want to go 18" or 20".  I only have a 16" right now.
View Quote

+1 on the stealth for an accuracy build.

I picked up a 16" tar barrel and it's great, I already have a 18" tobr for my precision setup. As for the barrel nut, I'd hold off until you know what rail you're going to use. And I'd get the MBT as well.(I have 3 and I'm very happy)
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Somehow, I just knew this was going to quickly turn into a Stealth versus PredatAR thread…

Seriously, I have used the search function both here and at Google and I keep coming up with the consensus that if you are going to be mostly stable, the Stealth is the better choice, but if you plan on carrying and moving, the PredatAR configuration is better.  And since I will not be firing lots of shots in a short period of time, I think that the approximately 13 ounce difference would make for a better handling rifle.  

I think I will forgo the barrel nut and get everything else, including the trigger.

To those of you who have built something similar, what hand guard did you use?  My number one criteria is durability.

Thank you for your opinions, I truly appreciate the well thought out responses.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I just finished a build using a 16" P'tar bbl. I wanted lightweight in addition to accuracy.
I used a MI guard. Had to use their nut. So I would not buy a bbl nut just gas block and tube. As far as accuracy they are both considered equal by a lot of LT owners. I have to agree. I have both too. Hope this helps. As to the trigger you can't go wrong there either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a 15 in alg v2 m lok,a 12 larue,a 15 geiselle, ,a 12 alg  v2 mlok
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a 15" Geissele SMR Mk4 on my 18" PredatAR barrel.  I bought one of their blems during last year's sale, but if I didn't get the SMR at 50% off, I probably would have gone with ALG, Midwest Industries, or SLR in that order (price being the main consideration).  

In my own admittedly biased opinion, I think you're making a great choice with the tAR barrel.  For roughly the same weight as a government profile 16" barrel, you have a worthwhile upgrade in quality & accuracy.  It's not so much about how much it weighs as it is about where that weight is located.  The tapered profile keeps the weight balance farther back where it's easier to support and swing.  For offhand shots, dynamic classes, or hunting in the field, it seems to me like the perfect choice.  Good luck with your build!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  In my own admittedly biased opinion, I think you're making a great choice with the tAR barrel.  For roughly the same weight as a government profile 16" barrel, you have a worthwhile upgrade in quality & accuracy.  It's not so much about how much it weighs as it is about where that weight is located.  The tapered profile keeps the weight balance farther back where it's easier to support and swing.  For offhand shots, dynamic classes, or hunting in the field, it seems to me like the perfect choice.  Good luck with your build!
View Quote

As I have underlined in your response, this is exactly what I was thinking when I made this choice.  I noticed how many people spoke highly of the Bravo Company Enhanced Lightweight Barrel.  The concept behind that, as I understand it, is to have the weight of the barrel back more towards the center point, and to have less weight out front.

And during my research, I could not find anyone who claimed that the PredatAR barrel was deficient in accuracy.

I do appreciate all of your responses.  Now, I have to research handguards.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the 18" stealth on mine. I balanced my completed build (- scope, mount and ammo) on a pencil.

Mine, through shear luck, balances right on the front take down pin. That is with the stock adjusted for my liking,as well.

I'm sure that sort of thing varies from build to build. Just throwing that out there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have the 18" stealth on mine. I balanced my completed build (- scope, mount and ammo) on a pencil.

Mine, through shear luck, balances right on the front take down pin. That is with the stock adjusted for my liking,as well.

I'm sure that sort of thing varies from build to build. Just throwing that out there.
View Quote

With what stock?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would like to see details on your build as I am looking at doing something similar.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Hold off on the barrel nut unless you're buying a LaRue hand guard.  Other than a few that can use a stock barrel nut, many come with their own proprietary nut.

I also took the plunge and bought an 18" Stealth, along with their gas block and gas tube.  The barrel is already dimpled for their gas block.

If you haven't yet, pick up an MBT trigger.  Even if you select, "I'll wait,"  the wait time is only a couple of weeks.  Great trigger, great price.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With what stock?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With what stock?

Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would like to see details on your build as I am looking at doing something similar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOWER BUILD

Aero Precision Stripped Lower
LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
Spike's Tactical Lower Parts Kit
Daniel Defense Collapsible Buttstock
Aero Precision AR-15 Buffer Tube Kit - Mil-Spec
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Magpul MOE grip

UPPER BUILD

Rock River Arms Flat-Top Receiver
18" LaRue Tactical Stealth Barrel
Palmetto State Armory Premium Bolt Carrier Group
Radical Firearms AR15 charging handle
Larue Tactical gas block
LaRue Tactical midlength gas tube
A2 Flash Hider
UTG PRO AR 15" SPR SLM MLOK FF HNDGD
Fab Defense front and rear flip up sights
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top