Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2016 5:05:04 AM EDT
Installed all the bits and pieces in my new Spikes lower. Go to mate upper & lower. Damn front pivot pin will NOT align with the upper lug!

Rather than bust out the mallet I examine it closely and and it looks like the ALG EMR rail is too far back, preventing proper alignment. Loosen up the rail screws and move the rail as far fwd as the tolerances will allow and it mates now but still interferes a bit when I break it open; all the M16s I had in the Corps just flopped all the way open until the hand guard banged against the front of the magwell, as did this same upper on my OLD  lower. After moving the rail fwd a bit it now opens up almost all the way but rail still binds a bit on the lower lugs before it pivots open all the way.

The Spikes lower pivot pin lugs are indeed beefier than the old lower's lugs, which is a good thing.

Looks to me like I just need to remove a bit of the rail where it binds and I should be good to go. I COULD live with it as is but I know I will forget at some point and end up grinding up the nice lower with the rail.

Anyway, as the subject line says... Anyone ever run into rail / lower interference issues before?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Pictures would help.

I've mounted several ALG rails, never had an issue.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I had the same issue with the EMR v2 that I installed last weekend on an Aero lower. I taped off the rail to indicate the area of interference, and carefully used a cutoff wheel to remove the bulk of the aluminum (maybe 60 thousandths). I cleaned it up with a file,  and used a Sharpie to make it black again. I was nervous about it, but it worked out fine. Other than this required "tuning", I am very pleased with the ALG rail. Good luck!

One additional tip - make sure that you mark/tape the rail with it installed on the upper and mated to the lower receiver. The material that you will be removing is not centered between the rail attachment screws. The 3 rows of rail attachment screws are not symmetrically placed about the vertical centerline of the rail.

J
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same issue with my ALG EMR V2. Had been using it on a GWACS lower for a few months, no problem. I recently picked up a forged lower and when I checked fit, the pivot pin would not align until I lossened the 6 screws. Even then, it would bite into the lower when pivoting. I hope they get this fixed, as I really like the V2 and plan on picking up a shorter one for this lower, for which I submitted a Form 1.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same issue when assembling a friends AR with a no name dickmod PSA upper, I just took the back of the rail to the grinder.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top