Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2016 8:55:20 PM EDT
So due to a machining issue on an 80%er I find that running the spring and detent for the safety is gonna be an issue.  Any other options out there?  Just run without the safety selector?  Junk the whole lower?  What say you?  Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Blow thru the detent hole?  Try an ambi safety
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Use jbweld to build the are back up and redrill the detent hole.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So due to a machining issue on an 80%er I find that running the spring and detent for the safety is gonna be an issue.  Any other options out there?  Just run without the safety selector?  Junk the whole lower?  What say you?  Thanks for any help
View Quote

Why can't you use it, a little more information would be good, what issue are you having?

I don't recommend running it without a safety.  As a firearms safety instructor, running a modern gun without a safety is asking for trouble, post some pictures and explain what the problem is.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Was it a 15 dollar blem?

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Drill the other side?   Someone here had the detent path machined on the other side of the safety.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Learn on this one and build another.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was it a 15 dollar blem?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a 15 dollar blem?  

I have built all 6 of my blem lowers and have not had an issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Use jbweld to build the are back up and redrill the detent hole.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Blow thru the detent hole?  Try an ambi safety
View Quote

FPNI.

Got a little to close to the wall on this one.  Not one of the $15 ones, but it is one ive had around awhile.  $25 tactical machine if I remember correctly.  I did just barely open up it up, detent is in and working just worried it might crack open later and jam things up.  Im gonna run it as just a dedicated .22lr.  Ive got others that came out much better, but I hate to scrap it over something so minor.  JB weld might be worth a try.  

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Been there done that. I did it on my first 80% and got over anxious while using my cordless drill on the FCG pocket and the 3/8 drill bit walked to the side and breached the safety detent hole.
I fixed it with JB Weld as other have suggested. However, if you want to make the drilling easier first place a small wooden toothpick in the hole and then fill with the JB weld. Then drill out to the correct size. The wooden toothpick helps with the drilling. There are actually two sizes to the hole but don't worry about that as you only want to close the hole up enough where the detent and spring stay inline with the safety.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have built all 6 of my blem lowers and have not had an issue with any of them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a 15 dollar blem?  

Nice!!

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
dont use JB weld theres some shit that you can buy from autozone that comes in clay type bars. mix it up and the shit sets up like a friggin rock. might as well be aluminum. might be stronger and more sturdy for this application than jb weld. not sure of the name. good luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
What about one of the cross bolt safeties the three gunners use?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about one of the cross bolt safeties the three gunners use?
View Quote

Would be even worse, as now you're applying a left-right load on the detent.

You could always throw an ambi selector on there so it can't be pulled through far enough to launch the detent.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top