Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2016 1:39:58 AM EDT

I'm thinking about assembling a few rifles.  After doing a lot of reading, I'm now starting a list of tools that I need to get.  There seem to be so many options out there that I'm having a hard time decking what I need.  And once I get that list started, there's an overwhelming number of options.

I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there a consolidated list of wrenches, vice blocks, punches, and specialized tools to have on hand?  If not, could we start that list here?  Recommendations for variations that don't suck much appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
My buddy picked up the "Ar-15 armor's kit" from Cabelas and while I have NO frame of reference to tell you how "good" it is, I can say it came with everything we needed, and the stuff it came with worked fine. (pulled the barrel off his gun, put a free float rail on) It seemed like a pretty darn good kit for the money, at least for hobby level.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont make it complicated. And you dont have to buy all these expensive tools. IMO its a bunch of marketing hoopla.
Punches-harbor freight
Non marring hammer-harbor freight
Torque Wrench- Harbor freight
Armor's wrench- Wheeler (can buy at academy)
Clam shell vise block for upper reciever- Wheeler (Academy)
Magwell vise block- pro mag (academy)
5-6 inch vise- Sears

Boom your done! Total cost=$150 if at that
Buying fancy tools through Brownell's=$300 at least
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont make it complicated. And you dont have to buy all these expensive tools. IMO its a bunch of marketing hoopla.
Punches-harbor freight
Non marring hammer-harbor freight
Torque Wrench- Harbor freight
Armor's wrench- Wheeler (can buy at academy)
Clam shell vise block for upper reciever- Wheeler (Academy)
Magwell vise block- pro mag (academy)
5-6 inch vise- Sears

Boom your done! Total cost=$150 if at that
Buying fancy tools through Brownell's=$300 at least
View Quote

You may need screwdrivers / allen wrenches if you don't already have them.

Painter's tape can be very helpful as well.

A barrel vise block is needed to properly install and remove muzzle devices.  A block of wood works, but I got one off Amazon for $20.

Make sure you clamshell vise block has the supporting insert.  Mine came with a gas tube guide rod, which has been helpful.  It helps me center free float barrel nuts more than anything else.

Roll pin starters can be very helpful, but not critical.  I would recommend a good set of punches from Brownell's if you plan on doing more than 1 or 2, but cheap ones will work.

CLP is nice to have on hand to clean off the preservative sticky grease on parts, and keep them a little wet to help with install.

Beware of any special tools a handguard may need.

A laptop / tablet to watch all the install videos here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've found that this roll pin punch from Brownells is needed, for me at least. I guess you could grind down a reg punch..

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/dissassembly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In addition, I found this tool VERY helpful for installing the bolt catch roll pin. It's sold by KAK and it's known as Walt's Tool.

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Bolt%20Carriers/6DB3B562-DAA6-485E-B501-0E385E0CDCCF.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Bolt%20Carriers/6DB3B562-DAA6-485E-B501-0E385E0CDCCF.jpg</a>

View Quote

i bought one of those made by Little Crow Gunworks along with their roll pin pusher for the trigger guard.  good investment, can do trigger guards without needing a receiver block of any sort to support it, removes trigger guards easily as well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Upper:
Bench Vise
Clam shell - I use a Bushmaster
Roll Pin Set - Brownells
8 oz. Ball Peen Hammer - Craftsman
Proper nut wrench for your handguard
Torque Wrench up to 80 ft. lbs.
Front sight tool (if installing)
Wrench for flash hider
Small needle nose pliers for the ejection port e clip
Headspace Gages (cartridge specific Go and No-Go)

Lower:
Roll Pin Set - Brownells
8 oz. Ball Peen Hammer - Craftsman
Bench block (I use a hockey puck with various holes drilled into it)
Extension nut wrench
Big Fat Click Type Ball Point Pen (retracted) to push into the hole of the mag catch button while screwing it in on the other side

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top