Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2016 9:47:06 PM EDT
So I'll be finishing off a build at christmas, it's a go bag rifle and has the following

Spikes lower                                          Spikes Upper
ALG Trigger                                           Spikes Nickel Boron BCG
KNS Pins                                                Sure fire War Comp
Spikes LPK                                             Seekins 12 inch SAR rail
Spikes Buffer kit T2 buffer                    BCM mod 44
Magpul MOE                                           Trijicon VCOG green seg circle
Magpul STR

I am trying to decide between going with a CHF noveske and a REV arms 16 inch, I don't feel like pin and welding I already have a light weight 14.5 as my other go bag rifle. I have an 18 inch SPR noveske barrel on my 3 gun rifle and like it, I want a long lasting barrel with solid accuracy. my only concerns about rev is their single edge land rifling being off when it comes to the BDC of the VCOG. One of their guys told me they get higher velocities like how noveske stainless does. I trust noveske to perform well but I am intrigued by REV.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
For CHF here is a good 16"

Lighter weight

I have the both the above barrels in 14.5".  My personal opinion is top notch greatness.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
BCM CHF.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
http://faxonfirearms.com/16-heavy-fluted-5-56-nato-mid-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

Since you're all Spikes.  Why not a chf Spikes optimum profile barrel?

http://www.spikestactical.com/st-cold-hammer-forged-16-midlength-barrel-556-p-830.html

Edit:  

Just looked into those Rev barrels.  Those look like a good option,but i can't find any reviews on them.  Any idea on what they weigh?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I got some barrels from bob at faxon and I know his machining is very precise and that's why he turns out solid barrels

My other go bag rifle has the FN/spikes chf 14.5 LW barrel it's another mainly spikes rifle but Troy rail and TR24. It shoots well up close have only stretched it out to 200 and it had a 5 shot group about the size of my palm with 55gr fmj only using the mag as support. Part of me wants to get the noveske to test spikes fn vs noveske chf and test chf noveske vs stainless steel noveske. When I talked to rev sales guys at a show they said two of their sponsored guys have 20k rounds and are still holding Sub MOA, but whenever I see pics of rev groups it's always 3 shot. I know molon did chf noveske tests and was getting a hair over 1 inch groups with the chf noveske for 10 shot groups.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got some barrels from bob at faxon and I know his machining is very precise and that's why he turns out solid barrels

My other go bag rifle has the FN/spikes chf 14.5 LW barrel it's another mainly spikes rifle but Troy rail and TR24. It shoots well up close have only stretched it out to 200 and it had a 5 shot group about the size of my palm with 55gr fmj only using the mag as support. Part of me wants to get the noveske to test spikes fn vs noveske chf and test chf noveske vs stainless steel noveske. When I talked to rev sales guys at a show they said two of their sponsored guys have 20k rounds and are still holding Sub MOA, but whenever I see pics of rev groups it's always 3 shot. I know molon did chf noveske tests and was getting a hair over 1 inch groups with the chf noveske for 10 shot groups.
View Quote
Noveske CHF is FN

Spikes CHF is FN   maybe built to different specs, maybe close enough it doesn't matter.  Buy Noveske if you like.  It used to be a bigger deal than it is now.  You will pay more for a similar barrel.  We all like different things.  Your money spend it how you like.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'm just going to go Noveske, they'll have a black friday or christmas sale and I'll pick one up. I know Noveske uses FN barrel blanks but I rather have the standard profile than the spikes optimum profile.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Spike's 14.5" Optimal Profile CHF...then pin & weld a Manimal flash hider.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go SBR and dont look back.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Spike's 14.5" Optimal Profile CHF...then pin & weld a Manimal flash hider.

View Quote

My other go bag rifle is a light weight spikes and has that barrel with a surefire socom pinned and welded on.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If this rifle were straight up defense it would be an 11.5 with an eotech but this is meant to be a jack of all trades rifle so that's why I have a 16 inch barrel in mind and I why I have a VCOG for it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go bag may mean he has to cross state lines. I wouldn't want State Police disarming me at a checkpoint on the other side of the border is a "Go Bag" situation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Go bag may mean he has to cross state lines. I wouldn't want State Police disarming me at a checkpoint on the other side of the border is a "Go Bag" situation.
View Quote

That is one of the reasons why I don't have SBR's yes they do have a purpose but because of state lines it is wiser to have an AR pistol in that instance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is one of the reasons why I don't have SBR's yes they do have a purpose but because of state lines it is wiser to have an AR pistol in that instance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If i am in some situation where i feel my rifle is needed for a go bag i dont think i will be worrying about crossing the state line. But i do just keep a free yearly updated travel form 5320.20 for SBRs to my neighboring states incase I travel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish they would stop thinking sbr's are evil and take them off the nfa
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I know as a Texan I should rep LaRue but I enjoy my noveske SPR barrel on my 3gun rifle, you guys make barrels that are great for precision, but this rifle is more of a jack of all trades. Looking for 1.5 inch or better but can handle heat well. I also had a problem with you guys giving me the run around on an order instead of saying hey we can't give you a true ETA.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
After going from Colt barrels to Larue, I'll never go back. My groups are .25 moa better with my current 12" Larue barrel vs my Colt 16" barrel. I know it's apples to oranges but most would think the longer barrel would give better accuracy. Me and my brother in law were just as shocked, he just ordered a 16" stealth to start his first build.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After going from Colt barrels to Larue, I'll never go back. My groups are .25 moa better with my current 12" Larue barrel vs my Colt 16" barrel. I know it's apples to oranges but most would think the longer barrel would give better accuracy. Me and my brother in law were just as shocked, he just ordered a 16" stealth to start his first build.
View Quote

Actually if they're the same thickness the shorter one will be more accurate, the reason why is rigidity. The more rigid the barrel the less harmonics are thrown off.  Barrel length usually equates to higher velocity. I know LaRue makes good barrels but like I previously stated this rifle is an all around rifle. If I wanted to improve my varmint rifle I would look at LaRue. For now I'm leaning towards the Noveske CHF 16.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Were they going cyclic, sustained, or rapid? I know LaRue makes top notch precision barrels but why should I go LaRue over Noveske's CHF for a hard use rifle?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Were these on your stealth barrels?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Somebody trying to get new barrels for their mk 18's?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top