Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 7:13:03 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to building uppers and I didn't want to cap the other thread.
I've watched a few videos on these, in your opinion, are these a better tool to use when installing a barrel, better then the action block (clamp in plastic block)?

I'm building a PA-10 , I'll probably do just 1 or 2 uppers and pass the tool on to my nephews. Of course the AR-10 action rod cost twice as much as the AR-15 so that leads me to another questions.

Is the AR10 action rod twice as good as the AR15 model?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take the heat. The clam shell is still the best option for installing barrels .... hands down.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll take the heat. The clam shell is still the best option for installing barrels .... hands down.
View Quote

That's kind of what I'm hoping to read, thank you Sir.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the clam shells are better... Reaction Rods and similar style tools can cause the indexing pin to shear in half and can also damage the indexing pin slot in the upper receiver.

People will come along shortly to tell me and wagonwheel1 that we are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, the clam shells are better... Reaction Rods and similar style tools can cause the indexing pin to shear in half and can also damage the indexing pin slot in the upper receiver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Others will be along to say we're wrong and say you can clamp all sorts of things to tighten it...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats wrong with clamping the barrel?

Thats what I usually do
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd say that clamping the barrel is the 'best" way....it requires the least "extra" stuff to buy.

But, clam-shells are good, as are reaction rods.

They all work, and they all load the various parts the same, just in different ways.

EDIT:

When the nut is turned, there is a drag on the barrel extension flange from friction between the nut and the flange, and there is a drag on the upper receiver caused by the friction between the threads of the nut and the upper.  It does not matter which you hold still, the friction and the drag are the same.  The only thing different is which side of the slot in the upper receiver the index pin bears on...

Short answer they are all the same....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd say that clamping the barrel is the 'best" way....it requires the least "extra" stuff to buy.

They all work, and they all load the various parts the same, just in different ways.

EDIT:

When the nut is turned, there is a drag on the barrel extension flange from friction between the nut and the flange, and there is a drag on the upper receiver caused by the friction between the threads of the nut and the upper.  It does not matter which you hold still, the friction and the drag are the same.  The only thing different is which side of the slot in the upper receiver the index pin bears on...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

If all the methods were the same you would see just as many sheared index pins (if not more) from people using clam shell upper receiver vise blocks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If all the methods were the same you would see just as many sheared index pins (if not more) from people using clam shell upper receiver vise blocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

Well that's certainly an inconvenient truth. Until the advent of the reaction rod, sheared index pins were a rather rare occurrence.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I made my own barrel blocks from some scrap oak 10 years ago...still working to this day and have used them to assemble and disassemble probably close to a thousand uppers at this point.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
double tap....again...WTF mouse!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well that's certainly an inconvenient truth. Until the advent of the reaction rod, sheared index pins were a rather rare occurrence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

Rather rare indeed.

I do find it odd though that K1rodeoboater has had such good luck with barrel blocks since they stress the index pin in the same way that the Reaction Rod does but with the added possibility of potentially loosening the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Rather rare indeed.

I do find it odd though that K1rodeoboater has had such good luck with barrel blocks since they stress the index pin in the same way that the Reaction Rod does but with the added possibility of potentially loosening the barrel extension.
View Quote

luck, skill, or just a ton of experience but I've only ever sheared 2 pins off.  Never had a barrel extension come loose.  Have also used a clamshell for a long time too, no real issues there except mucking up the finish on a few uppers if I didn't put blue painters tape on certain areas.  Got a plastiXrevolution block too now and I actually like it the most for flat tops.  For A1/A2 uppers I usually go with the barrel blocks first and clamshell second....or whichever one I can find first.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

luck, skill, or just a ton of experience but I've only ever sheared 2 pins off.  Never had a barrel extension come loose.  Have also used a clamshell for a long time too, no real issues there except mucking up the finish on a few uppers if I didn't put blue painters tape on certain areas.  Got a plastiXrevolution block too now and I actually like it the most for flat tops.  For A1/A2 uppers I usually go with the barrel blocks first and clamshell second....or whichever one I can find first.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rather rare indeed.

Interesting, do you remember what method you were using for the two pins you sheared? Was that with the barrel blocks?

I have nothing against the PlastiXrevolution vise blocks, I think they're great. Never really had any finish damage using clam shell vise blocks either, nothing that can't be buffed out with CLP at least. I do think it's best to hold both the upper and barrel at the same time as with the Geissele Super Reaction Rod and Windham Weaponry barreling jig.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Interesting, do you remember what method you were using for the two pins you sheared? Was that with the barrel blocks?

I have nothing against the PlastiXrevolution vise blocks, I think they're great. Never really had any finish damage using clam shell vise blocks either, nothing that can't be buffed out with CLP at least. I do think it's best to hold both the upper and barrel at the same time as with the Geissele Super Reaction Rod and Windham Weaponry barreling jig.
View Quote

Would have been the barrel blocks or the clamshell.  IDK if it matters but both barrels were surplus colt barrels, one was a M16A1 barrel the other was a 14.5" M4 barrel.

Yeah the finish damage was just a few rub marks.  After it happened a few times I just started taping the uppers in a few spots to prevent it.  CLP did hide it pretty well but if you sprayed it down with carb cleaner you'd see them again.  

If you wanted to be super uber paranoid about barreling you could rig something up with 3 vises side by side.  Use a reaction rod, a clamshell, and barrel blocks all at the same time.  My general rule of thumb has been...

Barrel blocks with for muzzle devices  -- always

Clamshell, and now receiver block, for barreling

Barrel block for barreling odd shaped receivers that won't work in the clamshell

Seems to have worked well for me.  Smooth and steady pressure on the torque wrench, and absolutely no jerking/bouncing/cheater bars.  If it doesn't come loose easily I bust out a torch and apply heat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Would have been the barrel blocks or the clamshell.  IDK if it matters but both barrels were surplus colt barrels, one was a M16A1 barrel the other was a 14.5" M4 barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Geissele has said that the indexing pins can shear if they are of poor quality (not to spec) but I wouldn't expect Colt to be using index pins that were not made to spec. I have seen an index pin shear on a Bravo Company barrel as well when a Reaction Rod was used on it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bill Geissele has said that the indexing pins can shear if they are of poor quality (not to spec) but I wouldn't expect Colt to be using index pins that were not made to spec. I have seen an index pin shear on a Bravo Company barrel as well when a Reaction Rod was used on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet he sheared 2 pins using a clamshell or barrel block.  I keep toying around with the idea of making a vise that holds a clamshell, reaction rod and barrel blocks in a lined up fassion. This way all three pieces are held in place just to end this argument once and for all.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you wanted to be super uber paranoid about barreling you could rig something up with 3 vises side by side.  Use a reaction rod, a clamshell, and barrel blocks all at the same time.
View Quote

I've thought about doing that but it would be to much OCD even for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And yet he sheared 2 pins using a clamshell or barrel block.  I keep toying around with the idea of making a vise that holds a clamshell, reaction rod and barrel blocks in a lined up fassion. This way all three pieces are held in place just to end this argument once and for all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really think it is necessary to hold the upper, barrel and barrel extension but this idea is very much like your screen name.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<shrugs> shit happens.  I haven't kept tabs on the "OMG I broke my index pin" threads, but I could see how using a reaction rod to install and remove a muzzle device could increase the stress on the index pin and upper receiver vs using barrel blocks. How much more that I don't know...I'm not a rocket surgeon physicist so it's above my pay grade.  If they're doing it during a barrel install then maybe they're using a cheater bar, bouncing/jarring the torque wrench, or maybe they had crap luck and got a barrel with a softer barrel pin or a receiver with a small void.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

<shrugs> shit happens.  I haven't kept tabs on the "OMG I broke my index pin" threads, but I could see how using a reaction rod to install and remove a muzzle device could increase the stress on the index pin and upper receiver vs using barrel blocks. How much more that I don't know...I'm not a rocket surgeon physicist so it's above my pay grade.  If they're doing it during a barrel install then maybe they're using a cheater bar, bouncing/jarring the torque wrench, or maybe they had crap luck and got a barrel with a softer barrel pin or a receiver with a small void.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a Reaction Rod is used to install or remove a muzzle device it would have no effect on the upper receiver or the index pin, you could potentially tighten or loosen the barrel extension if it was not torqued to spec.

Barrel blocks are the best way to deal with muzzle devises and upper receiver vise blocks would be the worst.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

If the upper is held stationary, the nut will drag the barrel around, until it is stopped by the index pin.

If the barrel is held stationary the nut will drag the upper around, until it is stopped by the index pin.

If the extension is held stationary the nut will drag the upper around, until it is stopped by the index pin.

Someone will have to show some actual data to prove that one is 'better' (or inferior) than another....
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the upper is held stationary, the nut will drag the barrel around, until it is stopped by the index pin.

If the barrel is held stationary the nut will drag the upper around, until it is stopped by the index pin.

If the extension is held stationary the nut will drag the upper around, until it is stopped by the index pin.

Someone will have to show some actual data to prove that one is 'better' (or inferior) than another....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

This is all correct.

As far as posting "actual data" to prove one method better than the other it has already been done in my opinion by all of the posts about sheared index pins caused by the use of the Reaction Rod since it has been available. The clam shell vise blocks have been around a hell of a lot longer than the Reaction Rod and in much greater numbers but with very few sheared index pins being reported.

I'm not saying that index pins don't/can't shear with the clam shell upper receiver vise blocks but if this does happen with as much regularity as with the Reaction Rod why is no one posting about it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Last I heard, the index pin only shears off if it's not up to spec.

So all these $100 barrels people are buying up these days might break, but in theory the decent barrels won't.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top