Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2016 6:48:02 PM EDT
Hi All,

Looking for advice- I did accuracy testing for the first time today on a new(ish) build & it's awful, 5-8" at 100 yards.

Background: This is an Armalite AR-10B pattern rifle, chambered in 45 Raptor (wildcat, just a 460 S & W magnum) with a barrel by Satern. I've got maybe 250 rounds through it, so far I 've been doing load development & only looking at velocity & pressure (measured by expansion of brass just in front of extractor groove). When I put the upper together, the barrel extension & upper had a snug fit so I didn't shim or anything. I did bed with blue Loctite.

There are no factory loads for this cartridge- handload only. I've tried two very different loads (bullet weight & charge) with the same results.

The rifle has a Leupold VX3 fixed power 6x in an Aero precision mount. I've remounted the scope several times to no change.

Early on, I had problems with the muzzle device not being threaded concentric & bullets actually hitting the last 'baffle'. I sent the muzzle device in & the same one came back bored out larger to avoid the problem. To rule this out as potentially affecting accuracy, I removed it & tested again with the same results.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Any ideas on potential causes?

I've heard that and improper gas tube fit/ alignment can be contacted by the BCG, which puts pressure on the barrel & can throw accuracy off. I don't know how to test for this- any advice on if this is worth checking, or how I could test for it?

Any advice appreciated.

Also- I'm posting this here because it seems like more of a general build problem. If this belongs in variants, just let me know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you think the problem is the load you're making? Have you tried shooting a 'ladder test' to find an 'accuracy node'?

Reloading Ladder Test
Ladder Test Redux
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure the crown on your barrel is good and the 'baffle strike' on the muzzle device wasn't caused by an improperly threaded barrel?

I'm not familiar with this cartridge so I'll ask the obvious. Is this a round that should be capable of 100yd MOA accuracy?  I know that your problem is a lot more than 2 MOA but their claims may be over exaggerated or only under specific conditions.

Their website says this:

http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/faq/
Question – What level of accuracy is obtained with the 45 RAPTOR?

Answer – In testing with a complete range of bullet weights and designs, the 45 RAPTOR consistently delivers 2 MOA accuracy within 200 yards.   Certain bullet designs, FMJ RN and FTX bullets, have demonstrated increased levels of accuracy.
View Quote

Perhaps you should step your load way down and work up. This time watch for accuracy instead of velocity.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I would try a second scope.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top