Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2016 8:34:02 PM EDT
So in my ongoing education and research I've come to realize that damn near every critical part out there, barrel, bcg, etc, from good manufacturers, is available with a nitride finish for usually $10 more than the original part.  That leads me to the question: If it's so cheap to do, why do they even bother making these critical parts without the finish in the first place?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Because a lot of people trying to save a little money will buy them.  Companies don't make stuff that does not sell, so if they are making them, somebody is buying them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I duno I guess I can't imagine many people not being able to rustle up an extra $20 to make the two most important parts of the rifle exceptionally better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
A hell of a lot of people buy the cheapest parts they can buy, why do you think the China companies do so well.

Why do you think Walmart does so good!

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A hell of a lot of people buy the cheapest parts they can buy, why do you think the China companies do so well.

Why do you think Walmart does so good!

View Quote

No joke there!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]
So Chrome lined barrels and FC chambers cost more to produce, due to EPA regs are inferior?

Those have been the standard for decades.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So Chrome lined barrels and FC chambers cost more to produce, due to EPA regs are inferior?

Those have been the standard for decades.
View Quote

So were horses.... just sayin'.

Melonite is relatively new metals technology.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Because Melonite costs $10 more, you kind of answered your own question.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Cause there are still old school people that prefer chrome and won't be convinced otherwise. It's the same on a lot of other topics people get involved with as well. Ever hear the Colt koolaid drinkers about their brand loyalty??
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Same reason HBAR barrel contours exist.  IT saves time and money by leaving out extra processes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Try asking this question in the Retro forum.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I go with nitrocarburized barrels, generally, but it is not clear whether that's actually better than chrome lining for barrels that see a lot of rapid or auto fire.

As far as bolts go, I avoid it because I don't see much benefit, but I do see potential issues (messing with the heat treating).
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Add up $10-$20 per part across all the parts and it may be an amount that factors into some people's budgets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread in AR discussions a while back where Nathan from Faxon was giving allot of detail about the whole melonite vs chrome lined discussion.

Basically what he said is that melonite works fine for non-automatic fire and is even a little more accurate because is is a surface treatment not a lining, allowing the barrel to have better tolerances. But under automatic fire, melonite does not maintian its hardness at high temperature like chrome lining does.

Morale of the story; For 99% of AR-15 owners, melonite works just fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good summation. Its (as with many things) much more nuanced, but that covers it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a thread in AR discussions a while back where Nathan from Faxon was giving allot of detail about the whole melonite vs chrome lined discussion.

Basically what he said is that melonite works fine for non-automatic fire and is even a little more accurate because is is a surface treatment not a lining, allowing the barrel to have better tolerances. But under automatic fire, melonite does not maintian its hardness at high temperature like chrome lining does.

Morale of the story; For 99% of AR-15 owners, melonite works just fine.

Good summation. Its (as with many things) much more nuanced, but that covers it!

I just went back and read it. I forgot about the part were you said "extreme high temperatures", so even the a few mag dumps are okay. I'm guessing the CL ideally is only needed for belt fed style weapons that can keep the auto fire going for 300 rounds before reloading?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top