Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2016 5:47:02 PM EDT
So i've built some rifles in the past that were a mishmash of parts but today (while searching for a specific part for M16Indianna) I realized I had enough spare parts to build a complete rifle.

This is my progress so far. The only things i'll be purchasing for this build will be a stripped lower (already have lpk, stock etc and the lower was already on order from PA) and an A2 flash hider which staggeringly I don't have.

I was toying with the idea of putting a KAK flash can on it because I have one of those but it looks ridiculous with it on.

In any case I never did find what I was looking for in regards to M16Indianna i'll post up pics of the final rifle when she's complete.

Total cost to me (not including found parts obv) will be about $40.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the pics.
I just did the same thing over the last week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good man...my favorite AR's are mixed parts guns...its cool to see what you can make with said parts!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I like it. What type of handguard is that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it. What type of handguard is that?
View Quote

Troy alpha, although its an old one. I like them because they work with a standard barrel nut and they take about 10 seconds to install.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]
My last "spare parts build" was actually built mostly from used parts I'd purchased off the EE at prices I couldn't pass up. Had a lot more than $40 into it but still way less than if I'd bought all the parts new. Any excuse to build another rifle is good enough.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty good for spare parts.
I like it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking upper. I know how the spare parts turning into another build goes. I have managed to use/clear most of my AR15 parts, but still have some.

Problem is now I am messing with an AR10. With the extra trigger groups, stocks and grips from the AR15's along with the extra AR10 muzzle device,  I can see the parts turning into another build even though I am not really wanting or needing another gas gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I built a couple of those from random crap.
Shot fine, show pix to co worker's.

They thought they were the coolest things they ever saw

Now they own them
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking about doing a rattle can finish on this thing...thoughts? I'm not really a fan of stainless barrels is the only reason I was thinking that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about doing a rattle can finish on this thing...thoughts? I'm not really a fan of stainless barrels is the only reason I was thinking that.
View Quote

YOU CAN DUUU ET!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is some "part build paint motivation"  This is an older pic of my SPB or Spare Parts Build...:)  I have DD and Colt rifles but love this thing!

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Update:

Will be doing some more rattle canning tonight
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Just need a riser for my scope :( urgh

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No!  Please, no!

I'm not a fan of rattle can jobs but if you want to do it , OK.  But why not just leave it alone as an honest spare parts build.  If you want patina, go new- old school rat rod and do some patina work.  Much more interesting than average rattle cans.  Just my opinion, and thanks for asking.
Nice Build.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I am too late.  
OK, awaiting updates.

Nice Build..
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am too late.  
OK, awaiting updates/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am too late.  
OK, awaiting updates/

Because every single one of my other rifles is stock with no rattle can or color on them (other than my cerakoted sbr) so why not go a little nuts on my spare parts build?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because every single one of my other rifles is stock with no rattle can or color on them (other than my cerakoted sbr) so why not go a little nuts on my spare parts build?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am too late.  
OK, awaiting updates/

Yes..you did good!  The paint will soon take on its own look with use anyways.  All black AR's are boring most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I sell my used parts so things like this don't happen. The 8.5" 300blk i just built was made of about 50% parts I had laying around.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

YOU CAN DUUU ET!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU CAN DUUU ET!!!!!

Listen to this man!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am too late.  
OK, awaiting updates/

It's all good, Bro.  Nice build.
The cool thing about building is that every time I order a part I get an extra or 2 extras, and pretty soon I have enough to build another just kinda cause I bought a couple of parts. Way cool
Best,
Rick

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good man!
What colors? Rustoleum?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks good man!
What colors? Rustoleum?
View Quote

Krylon and Rustoleum... just what I happened to have. I'll post the colors up tonight. Now the paint is dry the finish is much lighter than the pic shows and there is less variation between the colors which is a little annoying. Anyway looking forward to getting my 3x9 on there and getting some wear on it now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently built a spare parts gun too.  All it is missing is a crush washer and flash hider (they're being shipped as of writing this.)  Right now all I have is a set or two of GI hand guards and grips, so I think I'm safe from another outbreak of BRD until the next big sale on other parts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Well she's done. I know I should paint the scope but I just can't bring myself to do it. Total cost to me was $35 for the lower +$20 Transfer Fee + $32 for the riser = $87.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#26]
OP that rifle looks awesome!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well she's done. I know I should paint the scope but I just can't bring myself to do it. Total cost to me was $35 for the lower +$20 Transfer Fee + $32 for the riser = $87.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/frankenrecce2.jpg~original
View Quote

Thanks Gacksnabbit

ok so completed specs as far as I can remember:

Optic/Mount:
Old realist 3x9 scope with rings
YHM riser

Upper:
Radical Firearms 16" Stainless Steel Barrel - 5.56 NATO - Mid-Length
No name gas block and mid-lenth gas tube
No name Charging Handle
Take off A2 birdcage (I think from a Colt but I don't remember)
AIM Surplus BCG
Anderson Flattop Upper
Troy Alpha Rail (with old barrel nut of which I now have a pile)
OLD VFG

Lower:
Anderson lower w trigger guard
PSA LPK
A1 Grip
A1 Stock assembly

Paints:
Krylon Sand & Olive
Rustoleum Earth Brown

Provided accuracy is good with the rifle I might actually swap the trigger out to a nice two stage one. I should also mention I didn't really want to use A1 furniture and paint it because I feel that's somehow sacrilegious however i'm not a huge fan of A2 grips and even less of a fan of A2 length stocks.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Well took her out on the first range day today (sorry my old man was spotting for me not running the camera so no action pics).

Groups were about 2"-3" at 100 yards using PMC Xtac 5.56. As i got used to things they stayed closer to 2" but I was limited on time so only put about 150 rounds down range. I'll do some proper shooting with decent ammo soon enough.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top