BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
11" or longer to cover up the gas block on a mid length barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thread protector would be even better, in terms of weight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I put a v7 on my 18" Grendel, but for a 16" 5.56 a flash hider seem to be what most people go with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, 11-13 is super popular on 16" barrels.

It all depends on what you might want to mount to the rail and where you want to place your hand when shooting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It all depends on what you might want to mount to the rail and where you want to place your hand when shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From looking at video and pics from my class, my hand was about middle of the barrel. I'm going to split the difference and get a 12"

The only thing I want to mount is a red dot and sights. That's it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap! This has gotten expensive!

Spike's Tactical stripped lower - $115
Spike's Tactical upper - $96 (on sale)
Faxon 16" pencil barrel $189
Faxon low profile gas block $36
Faxon gas tube - $16
Midwest Industries 12" G3 hand guard - $189
Brownell's BCG - $140
Charging handle - $50
CMMG lower parts kit - $75

I'm at $917 already (doesn't include shipping costs). Still need stock, sights, optic, sling, rifle case, and some way to lock it up at home.

Is there anything else I'm missing?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Holy crap! This has gotten expensive.

View Quote

I always think that after I'm done with my builds too, my most recent is nearing 4k

And now you're just missing a few cases of ammo. Sgammo.com has wolf gold for $300 per case.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I always think that after I'm done with my builds too, my most recent is nearing 4k

And now you're just missing a few cases of ammo. Sgammo.com has wolf gold for $300 per case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy crap! This has gotten expensive.

Hah! The only rifle ammo I have is a bit more than 100 rounds of .223 left over from Saturday's class. I'm trying to do this reasonably without going cheap and having crap later.

Really, what am I missing out of what I listed?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Muzzle device
Pistol grip if the LPK doesn't have one.
Barrel nut included with hand guard?  

Since you don't have an AR already...Do you have tools to tighten barrel nut?
Vise, receiver block, torque wrench, barrel nut wrench that works with your barrel nut, grease for threads.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Muzzle device
Pistol grip if the LPK doesn't have one.
Barrel nut included with hand guard?  

Since you don't have an AR already...Do you have tools to tighten barrel nut?
Vise, receiver block, torque wrench, barrel nut wrench that works with your barrel nut, grease for threads.

View Quote

I have several options in friends to help me put it together, who have all the tools.

LPK has pistol grip.

Have to check on barrel nut. ETA: hand guard comes with barrel nut and wrench

Muzzle device added to list. Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Holy crap! This has gotten expensive!

Spike's Tactical stripped lower - $115
Spike's Tactical upper - $96 (on sale)
Faxon 16" pencil barrel $189
Faxon low profile gas block $36
Faxon gas tube - $16
Midwest Industries 12" G3 hand guard - $189
Brownell's BCG - $140
Charging handle - $50
CMMG lower parts kit - $75

I'm at $917 already (doesn't include shipping costs). Still need stock, sights, optic, sling, rifle case, and some way to lock it up at home.

View Quote

The reason most first time BIY rifles get so expensive is because folks are in a hurry to get all their parts and get the rifle built quickly. Perfectly natural to be eager on your first build, so don't take that as negative criticism.

If there's a next time, you might slow down a bit and seek out deals on some of the parts.

For example, you could've gotten Palmetto State Armory's Premium BCG for $99, and their MOE lower parts kit for $59 (and with free shipping to boot). That's a minimum of $57 savings on just those 2 items alone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried ordering from PSA. They won't even sell parts to those of us who live in Cook County. So PSA can go screw itself.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried ordering from PSA. They won't even sell parts to those of us who live in Cook County. So PSA can go screw itself.

View Quote

Aw man, that's messed up. Sounds like you need to find a go-between to relay cheap parts to you. I'll bet you could find plenty of volunteers in GD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aw man, that's messed up. Sounds like you need to find a go-between to relay cheap parts to you. I'll bet you could find plenty of volunteers in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend is going to do the order for me. I've amended my Brownell's order to just get hand guard through them. BCG, LPK, and charging handle now through PSA. Too much $$$ difference.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#14]
^^^Smart move. The savings there represents about half of a LaRue MBT trigger, which would be a very valuable upgrade to your build. Something to think about for down the road, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm an Amazon Prime member, so i'm going to try there for optic and rifle case.  I think I'll just go for a standard stock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The reason most first time BIY rifles get so expensive is because folks are in a hurry to get all their parts and get the rifle built quickly. Perfectly natural to be eager on your first build, so don't take that as negative criticism.

If there's a next time, you might slow down a bit and seek out deals on some of the parts.

For example, you could've gotten Palmetto State Armory's Premium BCG for $99, and their MOE lower parts kit for $59 (and with free shipping to boot). That's a minimum of $57 savings on just those 2 items alone.
View Quote

Part of the rush is that I got BRD at a very inconvenient time. Parts availability is spotty now. I didn't want to wait a few months and end up not being able to get items.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I think most of us are in that mode right now.  Trying to beat the 41P deadline, and making sure we have what we need before fall.  So not only BRD but election paranoia, too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#18]
What about tools for the build? Is that something you've considered? Armorer's wrench and a clamshell/block to clamp the upper into a vise are pretty much minimum requirements.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What about tools for the build? Is that something you've considered? Armorer's wrench and a clamshell/block to clamp the upper into a vise are pretty much minimum requirements.
View Quote

Friends with tools will be helping with the assembly. They told me to not bother buying any tools.

One of my friends told me to not bother buying any mags, as that would be their contribution to my new rifle. :)

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Good deal on the tools. I don't know how many mags your friend is giving you, but I would consider buying a few extra just to be on the safe side. 10 mags per rifle is a good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I think most of us are in that mode right now.  Trying to beat the 41P deadline, and making sure we have what we need before fall.  So not only BRD but election paranoia, too.
View Quote

41f is going to allow Marie to build an SBR.  There's no deadline - only more paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm stuck on stocks. I see mention of mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes. I'm going on the assumption I'll have a commercial one, but I'm not sure.

I'm looking at the basic Magpul stock.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/MAGPUL_MOE_Commercial_Stock_for_AR15_M4_p/mag-401.htm
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I only use mil-spec diameter buffer tubes. Just seems there are more stock options available in mil-spec.

Nothing wromg with the MOE stock. Pretty much the most basic "upgrade" over a standard M4 carbine stock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I only use mil-spec diameter buffer tubes. Just seems there are more stock options available in mil-spec.

Nothing wromg with the MOE stock. Pretty much the most basic "upgrade" over a standard M4 carbine stock.
View Quote

So is a buffer tube something separate I need to get? Work has been crazy and I've not been able to do the additional research I wanted.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So is a buffer tube something separate I need to get? Work has been crazy and I've not been able to do the additional research I wanted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, or check the DSG link I posted.  It includes everything you need.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Commercial buffer tubes have a slight angle on the back, so check yours before you buy a stock.  I've the magpul moe.  It was tight when I got it, but now it rattles.  I bought the MIssion First Tactical minimalist because a lot of reviews on here rave about how tight it stays.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Thank you! And they even have PINK! :)

I ordered black.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Received my barrel and hand guard today. Went to my range/LGS to do background check for lower. Went through without delay. Would you believe that IL considers a lower a "handgun" and so I have to wait the same 72 hours as I do for a pistol after it comes in? Long guns are only 24 hours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#30]
You'll probably want a different grip eventually.  I'd suggest the Magpul MOE-K.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You'll probably want a different grip eventually.  I'd suggest the Magpul MOE-K.
View Quote

That does look good!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Couple of more questions, guys...you've been a huge help so far.

Flash hider? I'm looking at the basic A2 flash hider. Does having a pencil barrel make any difference?

Sights, optic, mounts.. Even though I'm going to get a red dot (Vortex Strikefire 2 - it was on the rifle I borrowed for my class and it worked out really well), I'd still like to have regular sights. Suggestions? I have a Midwest Industries 12" G3 free float hand guard. What do I need for mounts?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#33]
A2 works fine.

SLR makes a great fixed optics mount that's lightweight and inexpensive.  Although I believe the vortex comes with its own mount already.

For sights, Magpul mbus or if you want metal sights, the mbus pro would be my preference.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A2 works fine.

SLR makes a great fixed optics mount that's lightweight and inexpensive.  Although I believe the vortex comes with its own mount already.

For sights, Magpul mbus or if you want metal sights, the mbus pro would be my preference.

View Quote

Vortex does come with its own mount.

Do I need any special attachments/adapters to mount sights?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A2 works fine.

No, they're ready to mount out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Received my barrel and hand guard today. Went to my range/LGS to do background check for lower. Went through without delay. Would you believe that IL considers a lower a "handgun" and so I have to wait the same 72 hours as I do for a pistol after it comes in? Long guns are only 24 hours.
View Quote

If you think 72 hours is long, you really wouldn't like CA's 2 week wait...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That does look good!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does look good!

If you can get your hands on a magpul moe+ grip, give that a feel. It's my all time favorite grip, it has a rubbery texture but still the same shape as the moe grip.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you can get your hands on a magpul moe+ grip, give that a feel. It's my all time favorite grip, it has a rubbery texture but still the same shape as the moe grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does look good!

The MOE+ is what I have on all my rifles, and I do like them, but I'm considering going to a K or BCM Gunfighter grip for the steeper angle. For running carbine drills, that increased grip angle is more natural and feels better with the elbow tucked in close to the body.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Ordered red dot, a couple of mags, flash hider, and front sight last night.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#40]
A coworker's son who was recently separated from the Army (fiancée didn't want any part of Army, bad choice on his part) told me I had to get the head space measured by a gunsmith before I shoot it for the first time. I suspect this is just Army talk, but I'm not sure. Guy who will be putting rifle together has done a number of builds.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A coworker's son who was recently separated from the Army told me I had to get the head space measured by a gunsmith before I shoot it for the first time. I suspect this is just Armu talk, but I'm not sure. Guy who will be putting rifle together has done a number of builds.

View Quote

It's not a bad idea, but it's not really necessary either.  You got quality components from known manufacturers, everything should be in spec.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A coworker's son who was recently separated from the Army (fiancée didn't want any part of Army, bad choice on his part) told me I had to get the head space measured by a gunsmith before I shoot it for the first time. I suspect this is just Army talk, but I'm not sure. Guy who will be putting rifle together has done a number of builds.

View Quote

Buying decent components usually takes care of that. Manufactures know the specs to make things to get the proper headspace. I've built a dozen and never have checked it, but I also don't buy the cheapest stuff I can find.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  Couple of more questions, guys...you've been a huge help so far.

Flash hider? I'm looking at the basic A2 flash hider. Does having a pencil barrel make any difference? <snip>
View Quote

If you live in Cook County, you might not be allowed to have a flash hider, as apparently you have a county "assault weapons ban" in force.  That's probably the reason so many vendors won't do business with you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you live in Cook County, you might not be allowed to have a flash hider, as apparently you have a county "assault weapons ban" in force.  That's probably the reason so many vendors won't do business with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Flash hider? I'm looking at the basic A2 flash hider. Does having a pencil barrel make any difference? <snip>

The ban is currently unenforced due to legal proceedings. I also live in home rule town with pro-2a cops. I have an email from the PD's number 2 telling me that ARs are legal to own in my suburb. I'm saving that email! The CLEO would also sign off on SBRs as another Arfcommer who lives in the same town has reported.

Crook County can go f itself.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The ban is currently unenforced due to legal proceedings. I also live in home rule town with pro-2a cops. I have an email from the PD's number 2 telling me that ARs are legal to own in my suburb. I'm saving that email! The CLEO would also sign off on SBRs as another Arfcommer who lives in the same town has reported.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.  Was disappointed to see the Supreme Court didn't take up a suit against the ban.  CLEO signoff on SBRs goes away 13 July - but you'll need your C&R license 1st (Illinois specific law).  Sounds like you're building a nice gat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thank you for the reminder! :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you went with the 16" pencil barrel, you'll need a .625" gas block. You don't want to order a .750" one by mistake.

Thank you for the reminder! :)

You should be very happy with their pencil profile.  It is well made and the lightest pencil profile I have handled.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Should I do anything to my parts before they're put together? I've used Frog Lube on my pistols for two years and I'm very happy with it. Plus the fact that it doesn't stink up my small place.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Should I do anything to my parts before they're put together? I've used Frog Lube on my pistols for two years and I'm very happy with it. Plus the fact that it doesn't stink up my small place.

View Quote

There are some parts that require assembly grease, but after that I would highly suggest Black Rifle Balm from Cherry Balmz. It's specifically engineered to use in AR's. You won't find a better lubricant.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Wheres the pics!

with no pics it didn't happen

Its funny how fast the cost adds up. I could have got a whole rifle for the cost of building my 300 blk upper. But then again, buy once, cry once!

I figured once you saw the G3 handguard it would find its way onto the build.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#50]
By the manual you're supposed to grease the receiver threads with some kind of mil spec non graphite grease. Its to prevent the steel barrel nut threads from galling the aluminum threads. I'm sure some oil would be fine. Buffer tube threads could also be oiled up. Muzzle device threads. I highly recommend staking the receiver end plate for piece of mind, not a fan of loctiting the castle nut.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top