Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:24:21 AM EDT
Has anyone found 19in handguards?  I found dez tactical but it doesnt work with piston kits. Also have found 18 from midwest and 17 from leapers. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone found 19in handguards?  I found dez tactical but it doesnt work with piston kits. Also have found 18 from midwest and 17 from leapers. Any insight would be much appreciated.
View Quote

Why?  Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#2]
wow handgaurds are getting longer and longer.

it reminds me of that chris costa pic where they made the hand guard a few feet long.

I thought my Larue 13.2" looked long on my 18" SPR(it) build
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wow handgaurds are getting longer and longer.

it reminds me of that chris costa pic where they made the hand guard a few feet long.

I thought my Larue 13.2" looked long on my 18" SPR(it) build
View Quote

Some people like them all the way to the end of the barrel to me that's extra weight but each to their own.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What piston are you using?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A 19" on a 18" maybe, one on a 16" would be straight up stupid without a can that works with the ID of the HG.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A 19" on a 18" maybe, one on a 16" would be straight up stupid without a can that works with the ID of the HG.
View Quote

Unless he is using something like a KX5 or slim line flash can.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The ridiculously long rails remind me of people who put 28" wheels on an old classic car. Looks silly. To each his own.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or those. Might not look too bad at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My personal preference.  Everyone has their own wants. Im using a adams arms xlp kit. Problem with dez handguards is their barrel nut and the design.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Problem with dez handguards is their barrel nut and the design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Problem with dez handguards is their barrel nut and the design.
The problem isn't the handgard, it's the piston kit.

Direct from AA about that kit:
We recommend using a standard barrel nut or barrel nut with similar measurements for proper fit and function of the kit. Many aftermarket proprietary barrel nuts do not offer the clearance for the drive rod or proper seating of the spring and bushing.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Correct. I was more less looking for other companies that have 19in handguards. I know barrel nut doesnt have a wide enough slot for the piston. Ive talked with them, if they make it wider it doesnt hold up over time with the piston.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Update still nothing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]
sounds lame
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Any luck finding a 19"? When I was looking for a 17" I had to search for a while to find what I wanted and I never ran across any 19's.

Here's my 17" rail on an 18" barrel.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have found one 19in but it wont work with a piston gas system. Found one 18in and one 17in.
Quoted:
Any luck finding a 19"? When I was looking for a 17" I had to search for a while to find what I wanted and I never ran across any 19's.
Here's my 17" rail on an 18" barrel.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/maximusscriptorius/D6262A4B-F8FF-4851-926B-734BCAB22794_zpsxs15jcet.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Still no luck......
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't seen any 19" ones, it seems the demand for them is... low. I know to each their own, but when only a fraction of a percent of the consumer base wants a handrail that long, businesses just don't/won't invest to stock units that they can't get sold in a timely fashion.

I would like to see a 19" handrail in person though. My lord that has to be insane. 12" on my 16" rifles is the longest I would dare go personally, and on a longer system I would still just go long enough to cover my gas block.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah i cant really fine outside dez or doing the extension on samson.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Just adding unneccesary weight and it looks goofy...unless you are 7' tall with arms to match...then you might need it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#20]
More criticism instead of a solution. Thanks for the effort pal!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven't seen a 19" handguard. Flex could be an issue if you plan on mounting a bipod near the end of the rail. I noticed some on my 15" Troy, ended up moving the bipod back due to gas block clearance issues with the flex. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Since the base issue here relates to the barrel nut, why not try finding out which nuts actually will work with hit (other than the OEM nut made to use with a delta ring)? Once you have a nut that works, you could possibly work on requesting the longer rail through those companies, or else working with a local machinist to make one for you?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't believe no one has mentioned these guys yet.

https://www.shaolinrifleworks.com/features/

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one has mentioned these guys yet.

https://www.shaolinrifleworks.com/features/

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/photo-1.jpg
View Quote

That looks ridiculous. Not to mention the amount of flex you'll have out at the end of the handguard considering its only attachment point is almost two feet away. Plus, the additional weight added by a barrel and handguard that long, then add on whatever muzzle attachment you'll be using. Not a very practical set-up. I guess that's why nobody runs their rifles that way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That looks ridiculous. Not to mention the amount of flex you'll have out at the end of the handguard considering its only attachment point is almost two feet away. Plus, the additional weight added by a barrel and handguard that long, then add on whatever muzzle attachment you'll be using. Not a very practical set-up. I guess that's why nobody runs their rifles that way.
View Quote

Hey, no one said practical, just wanted a 17"+ handguard. I guess that was welded for a customer with really long arms.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top