Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 2:56:57 AM EDT
Who uses Midwest industries gen 2 rails? How good are they and how do they compare to KAC M4 drop in? I'm trying to decide if I want MI or second hand KAC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I previously put a set on my wife's mid-length BCM. They were damn good for the money! I recently swapped them out for another free-float system, but if you are looking for drop in they will serve you well. Compared to the KAC rails they feel about the same size but are lacking the heat shields. If it's just a plinker rifle I would say go MI. If you are going to be running it hot, you might want to consider getting the KAC rails.

ATW!
-Fox
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a need for heat shields if I use a vertical grip?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
One thing I like about the KAC RAS over other drop in rails is that it clamps to the barrel nut.  It's not free floated, but once you tighten the top screw and the clamp locks to the barrel nut, the top half is rock solid.  The bottom rail is still held in place like other drop in rails (unless you can find the SAS version) but the whole rail feel much more secure to me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
For the price you're awfully close to the DD Omega - which would freefloat your barrel. There have been a few in the EE for ~$150 lately.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
unless you absolutely need/want a drop in, free floats these days aren't that much more.

I've got a set of Gen 1 MI drop in handguards for a carbine.  They work well enough....though I used them for about 3 months and went back to a regular handguard.  Just didn't need a rail, so why have the extra weight was my thinking.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered my 3rd MI T series FF today. Also have a M series...

I love Midwest's stuff.. made in America and super competitive prices.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
unless you absolutely need/want a drop in, free floats these days aren't that much more.  

I've got a set of Gen 1 MI drop in handguards for a carbine.  They work well enough....though I used them for about 3 months and went back to a regular handguard.  Just didn't need a rail, so why have the extra weight was my thinking.
View Quote

I'm building to look like an m4 as that is the look I like so it requires delta ring and drop in rail.  I don't even like that the MI rail has a part that covers the delta ring on the top rail.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm building to look like an m4 as that is the look I like so it requires delta ring and drop in rail.  I don't even like that the MI rail has a part that covers the delta ring on the top rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD Omega is what you seek. 2 piece drop in, requires zero modification AND free floats the barrel.

ETA : ahh wait just noticed the part about you not liking the receiver to handguard bridge

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the gen1 is what you want then
Midwest Industries
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I liked the modifications to the fit and construction of the gen 2 over the gen 1. I believe Troy also has one similar to what I'm looking for as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I will check it out (DD omega). If I'm looking at the gen2 then I'm considering the bridge. I would prefer no bridge though
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a DD rail that I liked but it's discontinued. The ez car 7.0  I looked at the omega but don't like how it looks being oval shaped.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top