Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2016 11:02:33 PM EDT
Started out as a pile of quality parts.  Spikes LPK, PSA stock kit, TM 80%, Spikes upper, Spikes M4 barrel, old mil surp carry handle.  

Looks like I'm in the market for a used RAS or RIS.  

All together

After a few stomps, drops, kicks, drags and "washes" in the gravel driveway

Followed up by some sand paper, scotch Brite and elbow grease

And just for those that like the truly worn parts, the RAS has the purple tint.

And I just had to cut and pin the barrel.  I cut at 14.7" so the standard A2 brought it out to 16.1".  Now the bayonet mounts correctly too.

One more, I think it's done, unless I come across a cheap aim point or acog.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a couple that looked like that, only I didn't use any scotch brite or sand paper.

Now, my question is, Why??
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You only can look like you operate, if you operate.

That looks fake.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You can tell everyone at the range about the Operator you bought your gun from.  After a few years, it will evolve to being the gun that DEVGRU let you keep to thank you for service.  Then you will sell more beef jerky.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a couple that looked like that, only I didn't use any scotch brite or sand paper.

Now, my question is, Why??
View Quote

Yeah, me too, but they weren't  "mine"  

I have other rifles, they all have their place.  I wanted one that looked beat but wasn't worn out.  One I could take a few carbine courses with and not be worried about dragging my tier 1 rifle in the dirt or banging against obstacles the whole time.  And a bit of nostalgia...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You only can look like you operate, if you operate.

That looks fake.
View Quote

Actually I agree.  I "was" a fan boy for Tactical Machining.  But purposely beating on their anodizing and Spikes at the same time, the TM chipped and scratched more like paint.  I've never had chips and scratches like that in any quality anodizing.  The Spikes wore and dented without chippingo scratching.

Short of starting with a raw lower and stepping through multiple passes of wear, Cerakote, wear and Cerakote with various shades of silver and gray before black, this was the next best thing.  

It's not for everyone, maybe few other than me, but I enjoyed building it.  I think that's why we're here.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You literally chucked it down the driveway? I thought that was an old Napoleon Tanerite joke.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a fan of the battle worn look as much as anybody, even like the crazy Cerakote stuff. But...I'm not really feeling this one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks pretty good to me, forget all the people asking why they are used to having their pretty toys.  I will pick a worn look over a new look any day of the week, but I grew up collecting milsurp guns and love the history and how it looks when well used.  With that said, I would have probably done a little less scratches on it and a little more wear with the scotch brite - but not bad either way.  Good to know that the TM receivers act more like paint - I figure I will stay away from their anodized 80s for that reason since I will probably do the battlefield pickup look on most of the ones I do.  I thought for sure that was paint, and can't believe that is anodizing.  I like how that looks too, but I just love how worn anodizing looks.  

One thing I would do for sure though is get rid of that handguard and pick up a standard CAR style since they look much better to me.  But I am not gonna knock it if you like the one you have.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You literally chucked it down the driveway? I thought that was an old Napoleon Tanerite joke.
View Quote

LOL you never go full N_T
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't get this sort of thing at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#11]
It may not be for everyone, but damn if you didn't do a good job!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It may not be for everyone, but damn if you didn't do a good job.........
View Quote

fucking it up!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
This doesn't "fuck up" anything on the rifle that will ever affect function.  It is just a personal preference on how a rifle looks - just how some people like to paint their ARs with fancy colors or paint schemes that I think are god awful ugly.  That doesn't hurt their function either, and if the owner likes it then that is all that matters.  I know a lot of people are very anal about their firearms finish and would go crazy if their firearms ever seen real usage and got worn.  I know that I am in the minority group of guys that would rather pick up a pistol or rifle that has that well used look as apposed to a shiny new one.  The things I do care about are the internals, and I would pick my firearm on what is inside of them not what it looks like on the outside.  But all things equal give me the worn firearm that usually is even $100 cheaper.  Most of my firearms are considered tools and not collector pieces.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't go full retard to make it look used,it looks used because it is used!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't look bad. I wouldn't do it, but I support that you like what you did to your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can tell everyone at the range about the Operator you bought your gun from.  After a few years, it will evolve to being the gun that DEVGRU let you keep to thank you for service.  Then you will sell more beef jerky.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I like it OP. It looks good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#19]
HE through it down the driveway.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Constructive criticism: it looks like a brand new gun that fell off your truck. It doesn't have the wear patterns of being carried and cleaned. Chips and scrapes aside,it still just looks like a new gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Constructive criticism: it looks like a brand new gun that fell off your truck. It doesn't have the wear patterns of being carried and cleaned. Chips and scrapes aside,it still just looks like a new gun.
View Quote

yup.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see this too.
I'm trying to find the post in the Retro section, but quite a few people there have done a "battle field pick up" treatment to their lowers to match old uppers (or age reproduction uppers). It is a mix of scouring pads, sand paper, steel wool, time, and effort, but the end product looks like it has been naturally worn from use.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The upper "wore" nicely.  I'm only disappointed in the lower.  The anodizing didn't wear.  It's either black or bare metal.  And the chips are terrible.  The anodizing shouldn't chip or scrarch around dings.  I'm not a photographer ( read: cell phone pics) otherwise you could see the difference better.  

Over all I'm still happy with it.  I've seen several done, some better some worse.  For anyone looking to do something similar, take my warning about the TM lower anodizing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't get this sort of thing at all.
View Quote

I know my AR's will still operatingly operate once they've been broken in, but I prefer to let time and regular use get it to that point.

Different strokes for different folks and all I guess
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Needs more thrown down the driveway look.  The old M16s we had in basic had less scratches and more overall fading of color.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HE through it down the driveway.
View Quote

The GRAVEL driveway.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#27]
lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Needs more "thinning" in the lower finish
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#29]
May I recommend......using your rifle to get the more "worn" look?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Why no purple?

Every well used M16/M4 is purple
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
So did you ever delete system32 before??? Everyones doing it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like an A1 upper would have been more fitting. I like the look and feel of a well worn gun, sorta like that favorite pair of jeans. I'm not digging all the chips in the lower though. Swap the upper out and it'll look the part more.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#33]
It's easier when you cerakote it, flash it, then sand off where needed. This is of course after dragging it down the driveway.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Lol... you know that's a joke, right?

You're not supposed to LITERALLY throw it down the driveway...

This is comedy gold.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's easier when you cerakote it, flash it, then sand off where needed. This is of course after dragging it down the driveway.

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/FullSizeRender%202.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/FullSizeRender%202.jpg</a>
View Quote

Not my style. But cool looking
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
What about the handguard , Doesn't that get the treatment...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Bud, you don't have to rush things.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]
looked good before.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/FullSizeRender%202.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/FullSizeRender%202.jpg</a>
View Quote

I always like this better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#40]
What I did was rattle canned my whole gun, and after a bunch of use, it looks well worn and it looks pretty sweet. Once you paint a gun you can see where the natural wear points are, its a pretty cool effect.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This has never been done before

View Quote

I was looking for his video.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't get it, to me this is like throwing on a military uniform and pretending to have served. I guess to each his own, just not something I'm into.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Here ya go OP, this is what a few decades old worn down service rifle looks like:

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One I could take a few carbine courses with and not be worried about dragging my tier 1 rifle in the dirt or banging against obstacles the whole time.  
View Quote

You could have just taken it to some courses and put natural wear on it.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#48]
if you don't have anything nice to say say nothing at all............... so . ....................

nothing at all
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
if you don't have anything nice to say say nothing at all............... so . ....................

nothing at all
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

nothing at all

All good, I can take it.

NICE!  Thank you, even though it was probably directed as criticism.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Never drivewayed a rifle but I do have a beat to hell, use it and toss it on the ground, cuban welterweight whore AK-47 that I love more than any other gun I own.

ETA- got it for a song from a guy who was "installing an ACE block but fucked up" Re: He chopassed the rear and couldn't make it work.  I paid him some magic beans, tossed a wood stock on it and called it good with one screw.  Ever since i've treated it like a diry dirty whore.  I feel more comfortable with it than any of my other guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top