Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2016 8:33:06 PM EDT
I have an adjustable gas key I would like to install and stake in place.

Do I need to 'push' the material out of the way when removing the old key so I can re-stake the new key with the same material or is cutting a minimal amount to free the screw ok?

Also any tips on re-Stakin the new key would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can knock the displaced metal back it'll make getting the screws out a lot easier.

As far as staking teh new one one, it's pretty straight forward with either a chicle or a punch.  Just have to displace the metal to "lock" the screws in place
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You may want spare screws in case you strip the hex head.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You should ALWAYS replace the carrier key screws with new ones.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah generally a good policy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The new adjustable gas key came with a new set of screws.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
To clarify, stake the key into the screws, not the screws into the key.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#7]
It is good that you are looking to do this right the first time. I have had more guns brought into my shop from the owner removing, then reinstalling the gas key without re-staking than any other problem.

I have also seen people glue their bolt into the carrier with locktight when they put back on the key so that is another thing not to do.

Use a proper torque wrench to install the screws on your gas key, proper torque is very important. I dont have the numbers at my desk but they should not be hard to find on this awesome sight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The current torque spec is 50-58 inch pounds. The old torque spec was 35-40 inch pounds.

You are supposed to use a sealer under the key around the gas port as well.

It has been advised to not use a punch to stake the key unless you are doing the field staking method. I would recommend using the MOACKS Plain.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The current torque spec is 50-58 inch pounds. The old torque spec was 35-40 inch pounds.

It has been advised to not use a punch to stake the key unless you are doing the field staking method. I would recommend using the MOACKS Plain.
View Quote

What type of sealant should I use, and if it's hard to find where should I get it from?

Thank you, everyone for all the helpful tips. I haven't done any work to it yet. I'll try to update this thread with any progress/problems and maybe even a pic or 2.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What type of sealant should I use, and if it's hard to find where should I get it from?

Thank you, everyone for all the helpful tips. I haven't done any work to it yet. I'll try to update this thread with any progress/problems and maybe even a pic or 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spec calls for Permatex Aviation #3, you can find it at any auto parts store.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
LMT uses Loctite 518 sealant.

Young Manufacturing uses Permatex high strength thread locker gel (Part Number 27010).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LMT uses Loctite 518 sealant.

Young Manufacturing uses Permatex high strength thread locker gel (Part Number 27010).
View Quote

And Colt calls for Permatex Aviation #3, I wouldn't go by any recommendation by Young, they don't believe in staking carrier keys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top