Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 4:42:44 AM EDT
So Ive decided to build my first major component since its tax time.. However, I haven't been in the AR-15 world for to long, so I want to make sure I get everything right. I'd hate to buy parts just to return them!

So I already have a .223 DPMS Recon that I have a Nikon P-23 3-12x40, and its mostly a range toy. I WILL however be using the lower interchangeably. But I recently moved into an apartment with with my girlfriend, and was wanting something to use for defense if need be, or possibly hunting in the future. Let me know if yall think .300 BLK would be bad for that, by the way. lol

I'm trying to go relatively lightweight, yet affordable theme, so the cheaper and lighter, the better. Also, SBR's aren't an option, as I'm only 20, But I'm from Texas, so Its possible, just not currently. Here it goes:

Radical Firearms was having a sale on their 16" .300Blk barrels, but if that sale ends before I buy parts, it'll be a CMMG 16". $119 and $189, respectively.
I like the Fortis REV 9" free floated rails ($199 and 7.9oz), but it's $40 more and 2oz heavier than Aero Precision's Enhanced KeyMod 9" ($165 and 5.7oz) Still stuck on these two...
Next on the list is an Aero Precision Assembled Upper, at $99 and 8oz.  I just checked the page and realized they're out of stock -_-. So if anyone has some recommendations...
Odin Works Low Profile Gas Block is listed as $28 on Rainer Arms. .750.
And then a CMMG Pistol Gas Tube comes at $15. However, the aforementioned CMMG barrel uses a carbine length tube. I'm slightly worried about cycling being an issue, too.
Last but not least, I've been looking at the Strike Industries muzzle devices. Most are about $40 and have good reviews, but I'm not sure what type of muzzle device I should be looking for if I'm to use this as a home defense or mid range hunting rifle. Suggestions?

Anyways, thats it. Don't hold back, I wanna know what you think, whether it be "this is a stupid list" or whatever. Thanks, Yall!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, let me clarify that when i said I'm new to the AR15 world, I meant the forums. I've been shooting long enough. Oh, I have multiple toolboxes with an assortment of tools, but am I going to need anything special?

Edit: I also realized some of the words in the original post put links. I'm not sure why. Like I said, I'm new here
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you priced .300" Blackout vs 7.62x39mm?

I'm fond of flash cans/linear compensators.  No real recoil in the AR platform til you get up to the .458", so why throw the sound back @ your ears w/ a brake?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you priced .300" Blackout vs 7.62x39mm?

I'm fond of flash cans/linear compensators.  No real recoil in the AR platform til you get up to the .458", so why throw the sound back @ your ears w/ a brake?
View Quote

To be quite honest, I haven't. However, from what I've shot, heard, read, whatever, I overall like the .300 BLK. I also like that it was designed to be shot subsonic suppressed, which hopefully I can get the ball rolling on the NFA's as soon as my 21st bday next December. And as to the muzzle devices, I probably will stay away from brakes since my most of my family has bad hearing
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Go price .300" Blackout before you start your build.  IM me if you're in the D/FW area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Radical Firearms was having a sale on their 16" .300Blk barrels, but if that sale ends before I buy parts, it'll be a CMMG 16". $119 and $189, respectively.

View Quote
I would check out Ballistic Advantage for barrels. The 16" is currently out of stock, but if you're not in a hurry, they do go on sale pretty regularly.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
      I would check out Ballistic Advantage for barrels. The 16" is currently out of stock, but if you're not in a hurry, they do go on sale pretty regularly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be sure to check them out. However, I just checked out Brownells page, and they're on sale for $105, so that might be my best bet.
Edit: reading the reviews from Ballistic Advantage, it might be worth paying the extra $65. The overall quality arms to be pretty good, so I'll keep an eye on them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to get into the NFA game, I would recommend just waiting till your birthday and get the ball rolling. The 300blk really shines out of a suppressed SBR.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want to get into the NFA game, I would recommend just waiting till your birthday and get the ball rolling. The 300blk really shines out of a suppressed SBR.
View Quote

I would, but all I'll be changing is buying a shorter barrel to swap it with, and then a Spikes Tactical lower. Not much being changed there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, so I've actually decided to make it a pistol, just to get me that much closer to an SBR, since I'm 21 in less than a year. I went with a 10.5" barrel from Radical Firearms, and went ahead and bought a stripped lower from a buddy that already had it registered as a pistol. I chose the LPK from Red Barn Armory, so all that's left to complete the lower portion is the pistol gas tube and buffer. This is unexplored territory for me in regards to the pistol tubes, so anymore ideas or suggestions would help.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Misread your post. Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  Okay, so I've actually decided to make it a pistol, just to get me that much closer to an SBR, since I'm 21 in less than a year. I went with a 10.5" barrel from Radical Firearms, and went ahead and bought a stripped lower from a buddy that already had it registered as a pistol. I chose the LPK from Red Barn Armory, so all that's left to complete the lower portion is the pistol gas tube and buffer. This is unexplored territory for me in regards to the pistol tubes, so anymore ideas or suggestions would help.
View Quote

Uh, we don't have registration in Texas.  His FFL dealer sold him the lower as an "other".  As long as it was a virgin lower from the manufacturer when your buddy bought it, and he didn't build a rifle on it first, then strip it back down to sell it to you, you're good to go to build a pistol on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Uh, we don't have registration in Texas.  His FFL dealer sold him the lower as an "other".  As long as it was a virgin lower from the manufacturer when your buddy bought it, and he didn't build a rifle on it first, then strip it back down to sell it to you, you're good to go to build a pistol on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Okay, so I've actually decided to make it a pistol, just to get me that much closer to an SBR, since I'm 21 in less than a year. I went with a 10.5" barrel from Radical Firearms, and went ahead and bought a stripped lower from a buddy that already had it registered as a pistol. I chose the LPK from Red Barn Armory, so all that's left to complete the lower portion is the pistol gas tube and buffer. This is unexplored territory for me in regards to the pistol tubes, so anymore ideas or suggestions would help.

Yeah I know there's no registration, I was just using that as a generalization. It's a brand new stripped Spikes Tactical Honey Badger lower that he recently bought and decided he didn't want.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah I know there's no registration, I was just using that as a generalization. It's a brand new stripped Spikes Tactical Honey Badger lower that he recently bought and decided he didn't want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Uh, we don't have registration in Texas.  His FFL dealer sold him the lower as an "other".  As long as it was a virgin lower from the manufacturer when your buddy bought it, and he didn't build a rifle on it first, then strip it back down to sell it to you, you're good to go to build a pistol on it.

You're good then.  Build away!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top