Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2016 3:43:53 AM EDT
Just thought I'd throw this out here as I was apprehensive about it, but it was complete cake.
Geissele did very well with this, follow their instructions, use a short rigid bit, use lube, go slow,
and eyeball the alignment carefully.  Worked like a charm despite my obviously shade-tree metal
cutting skills and equipment.

screenshot

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Im really considering this gas block.  What rail is going over this?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice

What make/model drill press ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sir, those photos are wonderful. This has inspired me and I hope it inspires others.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of block is that underneath? I'm most intrigued by that.

Nice work!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice work!
View Quote

The socket?

Oh, the one with all the markings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
+1.  I did the same thing this weekend with the same block.  

What made it easier for me was the Geissele instructions including the exact McMaster-Carr part numbers for the two drill bits (dimple and cross-pn) and the end mill to create a flat on the barrel to prevent the cross-pin drill walking sideways.  Knowing I had the "right" tools helped take some of the edge off of the first-timer nervousness.

FWIW:  The instructions recommend using the end mill to create a flat surface for the cross-pin drill bit to start on if you are drilling a nitrited barrel, to help avoid the drill bit being pushed sideways by the hard surface.  I was drilling a stainless Ballistic Advantage barrel, and I don't believe I really "needed" it.  That said, I'm very glad I ordered it -- it was such a perfect fit for the block's undersized (pre-final drilling) cross-pin holes that it helped with eyeballing the alignment (i.e., checking block alignment by advancing mill in the not-running drill press while tweaking the vise position until there was no mill/hole wall contact).  

The end mil also went through the stainless barrel material so smoothly (with cutting fluid and slow feed rate) that I just kept advancing/withdrawing/advancing the end mill all of the way through to the other side of the barrel.  That left a perfectly straight hole all of the way through the block/barrel to help guide the final 13/16" drill.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
help guide the final 13/16" drill.
View Quote

That must be ugly...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That must be ugly...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
help guide the final 13/16" drill.

That must be ugly...

Yikes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im really considering this gas block.  What rail is going over this?
View Quote

Gas block came with the rail, Geissele Mk8, great deal imo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice

What make/model drill press ?
View Quote

This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQONFY6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I replaced the chuck and arbor, and it cost almost as much as the drill press itself, but it upped my precision a bit.  South Bend Lathe parts, chinese still but better than
what it came with I think.  Also the included belt was crap and the "laser" alignment stuff is junk.  It is what it is, but for under $300 shipped it's OK.

I learned in the course of researching and buying a drill press and doing some 80% lowers, that any drill press under $1K is not precise. :)
But, if you are super, super, super careful you can get reasonable results form a budget model if your expectations are reasonable.
I also do a lot of mechanic/handyman stuff so it's been a good investment.  Just tonight I drilled out the holes for a crank pulley holder
for a timing belt change on an old car.  Could have done it with a hand drill, but it was nice to toss it on the press and be done.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice work!
View Quote

This guy?  http://www.primaryarms.com/156945/p/156945/

Works well, I've removed two FSB with it, works as described.  If have a barrel block thing from them too, works well for my
non-professional use.  :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
+1.  I did the same thing this weekend with the same block.  

What made it easier for me was the Geissele instructions including the exact McMaster-Carr part numbers for the two drill bits (dimple and cross-pn) and the end mill to create a flat on the barrel to prevent the cross-pin drill walking sideways.  Knowing I had the "right" tools helped take some of the edge off of the first-timer nervousness.

FWIW:  The instructions recommend using the end mill to create a flat surface for the cross-pin drill bit to start on if you are drilling a nitrited barrel, to help avoid the drill bit being pushed sideways by the hard surface.  I was drilling a stainless Ballistic Advantage barrel, and I don't believe I really "needed" it.  That said, I'm very glad I ordered it -- it was such a perfect fit for the block's undersized (pre-final drilling) cross-pin holes that it helped with eyeballing the alignment (i.e., checking block alignment by advancing mill in the not-running drill press while tweaking the vise position until there was no mill/hole wall contact).  

The end mil also went through the stainless barrel material so smoothly (with cutting fluid and slow feed rate) that I just kept advancing/withdrawing/advancing the end mill all of the way through to the other side of the barrel.  That left a perfectly straight hole all of the way through the block/barrel to help guide the final 13/16" drill.
View Quote

I don't have any experience doing this with other gas blocks, but it really was cake with this one.  I don't mean to be brag since it was easy but I was really apprehensive about it and as it turns out it was
super easy, so I figured I'd post it up.  I used a lot of align-by-feel of the bit and it was very intuitive, mine was a Sionics standard steel and it cut like butter with plain HSS bits and lube.
And I didn't kill the barrel which was the best part. :)

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top