Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2016 4:14:00 PM EDT
I've been wanting to build a coyote rifle for some time, but never really got serious about it. Lately I've been wanting to build better relations between my dad, and my 2 brothers (haven't had the best relationship for several years). I've been thinking of something to do to get the family together that we would all enjoy. We all love rifles, we love tinkering, we love hunting, we love shooting, and none of us have an AR. So I asked them if they'd be interested in doing a family AR build, and they said yes. So I went ahead and ordered 4 bare lower receivers the other day, and I just picked them up from the FFL dealer here in town. One for each of us. So what I'm looking for now, is a place I can purchase 4 rifle kits from. We're wanting to build some 20" - 24" heavy barreled varmint rifles, chambered in 223 wylde. I've found a few places online that sell kits, but I've heard very bad things about their quality. So I've come to you guys to ask where I can find a good quality rifle kit from that won't completely break the bank (since I am paying for most of this adventure). I really appreciate your time. Thanks.
Jake

Basically something just like this, but with just a plain aluminum free floating hand guard.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/XC-SquareBush/purva4_zpsxi7tqyfx.gif
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Something like this?

Not .223 Wylde but Compass Lake chambered .223 varmit exterminator from Windham Weaponry.
Their upper kits are $415 last I checked and includes a matched bolt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A 24" bull barrel makes for a really heavy weapon. I've handled an 18" Rock River bull upper and it felt like somebody tied a Brick the hand guard.  I can't imagine hanging six more inches of pipe off the end of that thing.
If you plan on walking any distance with this firearm you might want to reconsider. In my opinion those big long bull barrels have a very limited scope of use.  I have seen some really accurate rifles with standard profile 16 to 18" barrels.  By the time you add an optic, mount, and a bipod you'll need a hand truck to carry it around

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
there's outfits that sell good kits, i picked mine up from Wyndham Weaponry also. 20" barrel and it shoots! i added a fixed A2 buttstock and couldn't be happier.
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=184#axzz3yJQMdUox

Bruce
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are gonna have a barrel that long you might as well get it in .204 ruger
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree with others.

Longer barrel isn't worth the weight you have to carry every time you pick it up.
With todays ammo, and powders, Im not sure anything over 20" is needed in any caliber that would work with the AR platform.

If I was going long, it would be a 20" 6.5 G

My 16" Rainier barrel (5.56) will out shoot me. ( < moa) At least Iv been blaming me...

Get everyone on this site, and get them dreaming a little.

"Oh look at this! and that" = more of the family time your looking for....or not

When you guys are done, post pics!

PS...be the brother who picks up all the brass...
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is some good advice: Go handle one of those 24" bull barreled monsters before you build four of them.

The number one barrel that customers want to replace (in my shop) is a bull barrel. Unless you are prairie doggin' and shooting off a table there are plenty of barrels that make more sense to the average AR owner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless you are prairie doggin' and shooting off a table there are plenty of barrels that make more sense to the average AR owner.
View Quote

Event then there's no real need for them IMO
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a medium contour Green Mountain fluted stainless barrel with a Wylde chamber on my walk around varmint build. It's much lighter than my mini SASS bull barrel.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd do an 18 max. Maybe 20 but 24" will be ridiculous.
how far are you shooting. 600+ all the time?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate the input. Per your requests, I went and held my buddy's RRA Varmint rifle with a 20" barrel. Wow, you guys are right. That thing is HEAVY. It doesn't feel balanced at all either. I guess I'm going to look for a smaller diameter barrel and shorter. The only reason I picked 223 wylde, was for the ease of finding ammunition for my dad and brothers. They don't reload at all, and will be buying all of their ammo. I reload currently for a couple of 243's, a 22-250, and a few 7mm Rem Mags. The 204 is superior to the 223 ballistically, so I may order myself a 204. Thanks for the pointers so far. I'll have to take a peek at the Windham Weaponry uppers too. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Something like this?
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q783/HawgPhixer/VEX/c724962f3e36b88b4e5bc1220acab6d5_zpse64c6bca.jpg

Not .223 Wylde but Compass Lake chambered .223 varmit exterminator from Windham Weaponry.
Their upper kits are $415 last I checked and includes a matched bolt.
View Quote

Yes, something very similar to your rifle is what I'm after. I went to Widham Weaponry looking for that same upper, but the only one I could find was 775 bucks. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll probably just end up going with RRA. I was hoping to find some complete uppers in the 600-675 range if possible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
What do you guys think about this rifle? I could purchase this complete upper, an A2 buttstock kit, and a lower parts kit from a sponsor here for around what I'm wanting to spend. It has some good reviews, and it would be lighter than what I was originally thinking.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
That would be good to go. The only think I don't care for is the brake, I prefer a linear comp on a hunting and informal shooting rig to reduce noise from the shooter's (and anybody standing to the side's) perspective.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
My first build was 24" bull barrel AR15.  

It has a stainless bull barrel on it.  A round free float tube with a bipod attached to the sling swivel, an A2 stock (which is a little long to be really comfortable.  I just put an A1 stock on a new 18" build (that I haven't got to shoot yet) and like the feel/fit of the A1 stock much better.  I may be ordering another A1 stock shortly.  The rifle has a 2.5X10 power scope on it.

My only experience varmint hunting was with a M700 Rem. in .223.  It has a 24" barrel and a 10X scope on it and was a tack driver.  I need enough scope to see a small target and they won't be moving when I shoot them, so no real need for adjusting a scope down to the low end.  The 2.5X10 ended up on my vARmint rifle because I already had it in the drawer.

Varmint hunting.  Smaller animals.  Smaller bullets = higher velocities.  I killed a lot of groundhogs and some crows with 45 grain Speer and Hornady bullets.

You'll want a nice trigger.  If you want to shoot small targets at some distance you don't what a GI trigger to fight all the time.  

Oh, because I intended to use lighter bullets (remembering my M700's accuracy with them) I used a slower twist barrel in mine.  One turn in 10" was all I could find at the time (about 8 years ago or so).  

I haven't shot it much (it is very heavy/awkward - but I didn't build it to hike with all day, just to find a good spot to sit down, watch over, and shoot varmints).  With my standard load of IMR4198 powder and Hornady 55 grain FMJ (supposedly not the most accurate bullets out there, but it's what I load for my 16" AR15's, so I have them all the time) it will outshot my youngest son's Savage heavy barreled varmint rifle in .223.  With an old load of 45 grain bullets and H335 (a load that didn't work out in my M700 but I found a box of them in the attic a few years back) it has shot the smallest AR15 groups I've ever shot.

If you build the 24" and don't like it.  You could build/buy another upper with a shorter barrel.

If you reload already, try different bullet weights/brands and different powders.

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks again guys for the info. In my search I've come across White Oak Armament. They are one of the few manufactures I've found that build a 204 complete upper. From what I've read they seem like a quality manufacture. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? I'm really leaning towards their 20" varmint 204 complete upper. Thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks again guys for the info. In my search I've come across White Oak Armament. They are one of the few manufactures I've found that build a 204 complete upper. From what I've read they seem like a quality manufacture. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? I'm really leaning towards their 20" varmint 204 complete upper. Thanks again everyone.
View Quote

Bought a 24" WOA upper in 223 for my son few years back in 1/8 for heavy bullets. comes with a Wylde chamber, BCG and CH.
Took 6 months to get after ordering because of the long backlog. WOA has a top notch reputation in the shooting community. The owner is the real deal...

I second the notion to put in a good trigger. A RRA 2 stage match is a cost effective choice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#17]
That RRA upper would be a very good one.  I've yet to mess with a RRA upper or rifle that wasn't an outstanding shooter.

A medium contour 18" barrel (such as many 3 gun shooters use) would be a good compromise.  If you want to build your upper from scratch, look at the barrel offerings from places like Rainier Arms, Black Hole Weaponry, White Oak Armament, Odin Works, Ballistic Advantage, or Nordic Components.  My Nordic 18" rifle gas barrel is a far better shooter than I am.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Delton 20'' hbar.

You won't want anything heavier.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a White Oak Armament 18" heavy (SPR) barrel and the thing easily punches sub MOA groups.  I can't speak to their 204 stuff, but I would imagine you'd be very happy with it.  Plus, their customer service was quick to get back to me when I had a question.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
WOA is a great outfit to deal with. John Holliger, the owner, is a national level NRA highpower competitive shooter and shoots what he sells.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Once again thanks everyone for your inputs. I've contacted WOA to see what kind of time line I'm looking at to get the uppers. If the wait time isn't too long I'm going to order them from them. If not I'll probably be looking at the Stag Arms or RRA uppers. I'm also going to go visit Dixie Gun Worx in St. George Utah this weekend to see what they have. I'll be sure to post some pics once the parts start coming in. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I know your looking at the 20" RRA Varmint uppers, but have you considered the 16"?  I was told that it was a stupid idea to get the varmint in such a short barrel and that it would not compare, but after having it for over 5 years I must say I feel the decision was correct.  It is easy to handle and is my most accurate rifle in the safe.  It has a good feel and is balanced.  I have taken lots of varmints and other game with it and I have always ben impressed with the accuracy and still keeping it handy and easy to carry.  I have handloaded for it and can keep 10 rounds MOA at 100 yards.  I will look at my reloading log and see if I can find those pictures if you want.  Just another option.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know your looking at the 20" RRA Varmint uppers, but have you considered the 16"?  I was told that it was a stupid idea to get the varmint in such a short barrel and that it would not compare, but after having it for over 5 years I must say I feel the decision was correct.  It is easy to handle and is my most accurate rifle in the safe.  It has a good feel and is balanced.  I have taken lots of varmints and other game with it and I have always ben impressed with the accuracy and still keeping it handy and easy to carry.  I have handloaded for it and can keep 10 rounds MOA at 100 yards.  I will look at my reloading log and see if I can find those pictures if you want.  Just another option.
View Quote

For sure. I would love to see the pictures of your groups. I'd love to see a picture of your rifle too. If you don't mind sharing your load data as well, that would be awesome. How far do you shoot as well? I need to be accurate all the way to 500 yards. I had a short barreled bolt gun before, and I could never get the accuracy from it. I'm not scared of carrying a little extra weight around if I have to. We've been throwing the idea around to start varmint hunting together, so the more accuracy the better. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the RRA R3 upper for my coyote rifle, it is very accurate.  covered a 5 shot group with a nickle!  (100 yard from shooting bench).  its my only AR15 (2nd in the works), so I cant compare, but it is pretty loud!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Well I went ahead and made a decision on my AR. My Dad and Brothers haven't made up their minds, on what they want to  build. I contacted Specialized Dynamics, and ordered a complete upper (20" stainless steel barrel, chambered in 204), a lower receiver parts kit, A2 buttstock kit, and a velocity trigger. He said it should be done by Friday, and then he'll be test firing it before it ships. I'm looking forward to it for sure. I've heard good things about Scott and his guns. My friend has had two rifles (204, and 6.5 G) built by Scott, and both rifles shoot amazing. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be sure to post some pics once things start showing up in the mail.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#26]
So another quick question for you guys. Now that I've got the rifle being built, it's time to think about optics. I currently own a Vortex Viper PST, Vortex Viper HS-T, and a Vortex Viper HS-LR. But they are sitting on other rifles. I wish I had the money to get another PST honestly, but my budget won't allow for it. I want to stick with Vortex, and I've come down to 2 choices. I can't make up my mind between the Vortex Viper 3-9x40, and the Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42. They both cost the exact same amount, and they are both extremely similar. I'm leaning towards the HP for the extra magnification. But I'm also leaning towards the Viper, just because I've been so pleased with the Viper lineup. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for you time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Well that was an easy question to answer. Lol. As soon as I posted my last question I found a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 for sale, for dirt cheap. It made the decision for me. So now down to the scope mount? Any suggestions? Is the Vortex Cantilever Mount any good? Thanks.
Jake
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Aero ultralight scope mount gets my vote.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard this from a few guys now. Which one do I need for an AR though. The normal, or extended? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Built my wife her rifle over the Christmas holiday before heading back to the deserts.  I used a Green Mountain 18" SS Wylde chambered with a 1:14 twist for lightweight bullets.  However, Federal Premium 55gr BTHP is sub MOA.  Added a B5 buttstock for her to adjust length of pull and a DPMS freefloated handguard.  Scope is a old New in blister Simmions 3x9 I had sitting on the shelf.  I'll add a Geissele trigger later.  She wanted it pink. Its a bit heavier then I'm used to (14.5" M4A1 or M4A1 with 10.3" CQBR and suppressor) but balances well and shoots lights out.

CD

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#31]
My 1st ar was a 20 HBAR(not bull) kit from model 1 sales with just the cheap ff tube 1/9 that thing was a shooter easy under 1 moa with hand loads  i didnt think it was overly heavy and the balance was good shot great off hand and killed a lot of critters wish I still had it
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Built my wife her rifle over the Christmas holiday before heading back to the deserts.  I used a Green Mountain 18" SS Wylde chambered with a 1:14 twist for lightweight bullets.  However, Federal Premium 55gr BTHP is sub MOA.  Added a B5 buttstock for her to adjust length of pull and a DPMS freefloated handguard.  Scope is a old New in blister Simmions 3x9 I had sitting on the shelf.  I'll add a Geissele trigger later.  She wanted it pink. Its a bit heavier then I'm used to (14.5" M4A1 or M4A1 with 10.3" CQBR and suppressor) but balances well and shoots lights out.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/12434169_212618875744464_1425799138_n.jpg

CD

View Quote

Good job. The rifle looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My 1st ar was a 20 HBAR(not bull) kit from model 1 sales with just the cheap ff tube 1/9 that thing was a shooter easy under 1 moa with hand loads  i didnt think it was overly heavy and the balance was good shot great off hand and killed a lot of critters wish I still had it
View Quote

I actually almost purchased a Varmint Rifle Kit from Model 1 Sales, but decided against it at the last minute. I've heard good things about their rifles, but bad things about credit card fraud.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#34]
So the build (ordering) continues. Haha. I have everything ordered for the rifle now, I'm just waiting on the parts to all show up. Here's the list:

- Specialized Dynamics 20" 204 Complete Upper (Standard charging handle, and I forget what BCG he uses)
- PSA Forged Lower Receiver
- 3 lb Single Stage Velocity Trigger
- Specialized Dynamics Lower Parts Kit (not sure what he uses)
- A2 Buttstock Kit
- Aero Precision 1 Piece Scope Mount
- Vortex Viper 4-12x40 Scope
- Two 20 rd Pmags
- 204 Full Length Die Set
- 32 gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tips
- Reloader 10x Powder
- CCI BR-4 Primers
- Hornady 204 Cases
- Soft Tactical Rifle Case

He said he'd possibly be done with the upper today, and shipping it Monday. So I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have everything here and ready to put together next weekend. Pics are soon to come.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
The parts are starting to roll in.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've heard this from a few guys now. Which one do I need for an AR though. The normal, or extended? Thanks for your help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would get the extended.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought 204 was best in 24-26in barrels...did a quick google search and it showed a minimal drop in FPS to go with a 20in barrel.  Good choice OP!  You'll be really happy with that gun and that round.  Everyone I know who has one says it's a better gun for shooting yotes than 5.56 and is less likely to mess up the hide so you can get more money for the pelt from your fur buyers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Alright. 99% of the parts are in. If I would have remembered to order a pistol grip, all of the parts would have been here. Haha. I can't believe I did that. Luckily my buddy has one that he's going to let me borrow until the one I ordered last night shows up. So any ways, here are some pics!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Alright. 99% of the parts are in. If I would have remembered to order a pistol grip, all of the parts would have been here. Haha. I can't believe I did that. Luckily my buddy has one that he's going to let me borrow until the one I ordered last night shows up. So any ways, here are some pics!

<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/XC-SquareBush/media/Hunting/20160209_184518_zpsoqor1ehs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/XC-SquareBush/Hunting/20160209_184518_zpsoqor1ehs.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/XC-SquareBush/media/Hunting/20160209_205809_zpsvsqozocy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/XC-SquareBush/Hunting/20160209_205809_zpsvsqozocy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/XC-SquareBush/media/Hunting/20160209_205751_zpskukchv2g.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/XC-SquareBush/Hunting/20160209_205751_zpskukchv2g.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice, enjoy shooting your new rifle.

CD
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#42]

That's a nice shootin' stick.

I'm building one with a 20" RRA Predator Pursuit upper half.  Still need an optic for it though.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks everyone for the replies. I prepped 50 cases last night, and got them all primed. Then I got side tracked. I'll finish putting powder in them, and putting lead in them tonight. I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow after work. I'll post some pics up after that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/XC-SquareBush/media/Hunting/20160210_165322_zpsigihsu7b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/XC-SquareBush/Hunting/20160210_165322_zpsigihsu7b.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice build.  How is the rest of the clan coming on their builds?

CD
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/XC-SquareBush/media/Hunting/20160210_165322_zpsigihsu7b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/XC-SquareBush/Hunting/20160210_165322_zpsigihsu7b.jpg</a>

CD

My dad is wanting to have Ritch's Precision Guns build his upper, over in St. George. He's going for something similar to my rifle. My youngest brother is wanting to get into 3 gun competitions, so he's doing research on what he wants to build (he changes his mind, every 2 seconds, so who knows). And my other brother is wanting to build just a plain Jane M-16. I don't mess around, and knew exactly what I wanted to build. I'm hoping they will make up their minds soon. I'll be sure to post up some pictures as things come together.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Well I got some rounds loaded, and made it to the range for a quick site in. I could have sited it in in just 2 shots, but I shot 2 three shot groups, to see how well it would group. I was pretty pleased honestly. All 6 shots were at 100 yards. This is going to be a shooter for sure.

Some of these are for my 204 and some are for my 243.

I wish I would have had my calipers with me so I could have measured this, but I'm guessing about a 3/8" group give or take.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like a good shooter to me.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#48]
OP, any update on the other guns?

CD
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top