Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2016 2:49:58 AM EDT
Hey fellas, I'm new to AR's though I've done plinking for the better part of my life.

Decided to just build my first AR after shooting several that belong to my friends.
I have in my possession an AeroPrecision monolithic upper receiver and Aimpoint t1 micro red dot sight. The rest I have yet to acquire.

(Sorry for the poor quality image)
I have an AeroPrecision ambidextrous lower on order.

Looking at a CMC drop in trigge, a 16" midlength barrel from Ballistic Advantage, and potentially a syrac piston kit.
Outside of that parts kits to round everything off, I figure.
I'm open to suggestions on a stock, safety levers, some tools(vice block or reaction rod and what have you) and whatever else comes to mind. I THINK I've got a pretty good handle on how this'll go, but we shall see. I'll try to post updates here as parts come in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, be sure to grace that upper with an Aero Gen2 lower.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if the info Aero passed me is accurate, their ambi lowers are gen 2 now, so I've got that one in the bag I think!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Question.
What CAN'T I do with a Magpul BEV Block?
I'm looking to use it for barrel installation as well as muzzle device installation. Should I be GTG with the BEV Block for both of these? I've seen conflicting statements on this.

Also, would it work for installing the buffer tube? Have seen conflicting statements regarding this as well.

Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
First off, you're gonna need an AR-height riser for the T1. That included mount is meant for handguns and long arms with a higher rail to cheek weld relationship. If you're interested in a well made, lightweight mount I would suggest the Fortis F1.

Stocks are a personal preference item, but I've been very pleased with the MFT Minimalist. When it comes to safeties, I like the smooth and crisp feel of the user-configurable BAD levers. I've never held one, but there is a large following with positive reviews about the AXTS Talon.

Good luck with the project.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Question.

I'm looking to use it for barrel installation as well as muzzle device installation. Should I be GTG with the BEV Block for both of these? I've seen conflicting statements on this.
Also, would it work for installing the buffer tube? Have seen conflicting statements regarding this as well.
Thanks fellas!
View Quote
Installs are fine with the BEV block.  Just don't use it, or any type of reaction rod for removing muzzle devices or barrel nuts. Barrel blocks in a good vice should be used for these chores.
Remember the barrel extension, the part that is held by the bev block or reaction rod, is screwed onto the barrel. So holding this part stationary and trying to unscrew something attached to the barrel could very well unscrew the barrel extension instead. This is not a good thing since the gas port is drilled after the barrel extension is torqued in place. The chances are slim of getting a proper realignment at proper torque if the extension comes loose.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Question.

Thanks fellas!
View Quote

I really didn't like the Bev Block.  For me it was tough to keep the upper in place on it.  

This vice block clamp worked far better for me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/210021/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I really didn't like the Bev Block.  For me it was tough to keep the upper in place on it.  

This vice block clamp worked far better for me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/210021/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15
View Quote
You need to put a carrier (without the bolt) in behind it. The carrier pushes on over the o-ring on the back of the bev block and locks the whole thing together.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I figured that I'd have to get a riser for my aimpoint. I saw a larue one that looked really nice.

All good information, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice beginning of your build. BA barrels are definitely the way to go, really like mine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My new lower, one AeroPrecision ambidextrous lower.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt1/treyduhee/d7cc7d1a29b94ff45fc1d68ef7a63971_zpsm0eacbjv.jpg

And with the majority of an LPK installed, sans rear takedown pin, buffer tube, and FCG.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt1/treyduhee/9ba45decf4211dd86e16de12f44d591d_zpsfngs9bch.jpg

So my necessary missing components list is dwindling now.
Stock and assembly.
Ballistic Advantage 16" government profile barrel with midlength gas port.
Supperlative Arms short stroke piston kit; I took some calipers to the upper, and looked at the CAD drawing available on their website. Everything SHOULD fit.
Oh, and BCG components. (Probably an AIM nitrited BCG, and a Raptor CH)
DD fixed irons and a riser for the Aimpoint.

ETA: Added to required components list.
Edit 2: The Take down detent springs are VERY springy.
Had a good time looking for THAT tonight...

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Purchased an m4 style barrel on sale this week.
Primary Arms has some damned good shipping prices! And not a half bad deal for my Ballistic Advantage 16" midlength.
Also picked up a BEV block. That's a pretty handy tool.

New Barrel:

Installed:

My next big purchase for the build will be either a MAGPUL UBR or a piston kit Superlative Arms.

I used the drawing with measurements from Superlative's webpage to make a profile of the gas block in SolidWorks.
I'm going to 3D print it to test for fit. Figure I'd save myself a few hundred bucks on the chance the gas block for the piston doesn't fit under the handguard.
I can post a picture of that (the computer model) as well if anyone is interested. I hope to get my "profile" printed sometime this week.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Seekins Precision ATC Muzzle Break? Not priced too bad and performed alright in a large comparison I saw online.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great so far. Definately like the upper and handguard. I'm going to have to look up the Superlative piston kit, it doesn't need it's own BCG? UBR is a great stock, should be a good match for your build.

Eta: looked at the piston kit, it does have a BCG. You mentioned a BCM carrier so I was curious...
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!
And yeah, the Superlative kit uses its own bolt carrier, but I still have to get a bolt, firing pin, etc.
If I've read their website correctly anyhow, hahah!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Printed out the gas block profile of the Superlative gas block. I can't check for fit until I'm back home, but I figured I'd post a picture of it anyway.
Apologies for the shitty iPhone pics.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I love your paper!!!  That paper through college made me hate regular white paper.

I just realized it says you are in LA.  I went to Tech for engineering, hence my love of your paper.  Where in LA are you?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Haha! I'm actually at Tech for mechanical engineering myself! Small world, eh?

And yes, regular white printer paper makes me about cringe these days. Love the engineering paper.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#18]
That is a really nice upper.  I wish they would coat the dust covers in something that doesn't look subpar to the rest of it.  I ended up changing my dust cover out with a Strike Industries U.D.C. (Ultimate Dust Cover).  It is a polymer dust cover and looks a lot better in my opinion.  They have a couple different styles.  The one I am linking is the one I am using.  http://www.primaryarms.com/si-ar-udc-e-223-03-bk/p/si-ar-udc-e-223-03-bk/
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Question.

Thanks fellas!
View Quote
The thing I don't like about the BEV is that you have to use the carrier to partially lock in the upper. If the receiver does rotate at all, it could end up pushing against the gas key, possibly buggering up the carrier key and the receiver at the same time. As for working on lowers, it is no different from any other lower vice block - just a lot more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice. I love the smell of Rapid Prototyping in the morning.
Nothing like knowing that something will work. The beauty of Modeling.
Your rifle is looking good.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top