Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 1:05:44 PM EDT
I purchased a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel with attached FSB and I want to remove the FSB so that I can mount the barrel to my upper & a KAC FF Carbine RAS.   The finish on the barrel and FSB, including the pins, is excellent and I'm looking for ways to try to minimize or eliminate any marks when punching out the pins.  The only past experience I have removing the FSB was with my old RRA 2003 M4gery (with the pressed on faux flash hider) and I ended up using a flat faced punch to finally get the pins moving.  Didn't deform the pins, but did mar the face of them.  I have the Brownells FSB block, all kinds of ar15 punches/roll pin starter tools.  I can take pics if needed, but I'm looking for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I purchased a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel with attached FSB and I want to remove the FSB so that I can mount the barrel to my upper & a KAC FF Carbine RAS.   The finish on the barrel and FSB, including the pins, is excellent and I'm looking for ways to try to minimize or eliminate any marks when punching out the pins.  The only past experience I have removing the FSB was with my old RRA 2003 M4gery (with the pressed on faux flash hider) and I ended up using a flat faced punch to finally get the pins moving.  Didn't deform the pins, but did mar the face of them.  I have the Brownells FSB block, all kinds of ar15 punches/roll pin starter tools.  I can take pics if needed, but I'm looking for any suggestions.
View Quote

A little patience and a harbor freight benchtop 1/2 or 1 ton arbor press and a set of CUP END punches are what you need to do the job right. Or you can make a cup end punch with a dremel, or drill press and some carbide dremel ball end bits. Make it short in order for it to fit in the press.
Or you could just whale away on it with a 2 pound maul and an old 20 penny nail.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used a brass drift punch in the past and taped the area with 3M blue painters tape.

It did an okay job

Obviously, the press is the best option and will do it clean and easy
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I went ahead and purchased the Brownells punch specifically for this purpose.  Have not had a chance to use yet, wife is going to be giving me a lot of gun stuff for Christmas and this will get tossed in with it all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went ahead and purchased the Brownells punch specifically for this purpose.  Have not had a chance to use yet, wife is going to be giving me a lot of gun stuff for Christmas and this will get tossed in with it all.
View Quote

I used the Brownell's tool and the pins came out no problem (did need a regular hammer) and no marks.  Barrel install went well too.  Put the KAC FF RAS on easily and then put the FSB all back together.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used the Brownell's tool and the pins came out no problem (did need a regular hammer) and no marks.  Barrel install went well too.  Put the KAC FF RAS on easily and then put the FSB all back together.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know the rules, pictures or it didn't happen

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deal, I'll get them out tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
MK18ish

DD MK18 factory upper (w/factory rail covers.  funky look but comfy.  might swap out for some KAC rail panels)
Troy BUIS
Aimpoint (T-1?) and factory mount

AR15.COM lower
ALG LPK (mag catch didnt fit lower/kept binding, had to use mag catch from a RRA LPK.  Not sure if LPK or lower issue)
ALC ACT trigger
Magpul STR stock (wanted B5 SOPMOD, but was sold out on black friday when I purchased)
BCM receiver extension kit, spring, buffer, plate with QD
Hogue grip

M4 ish

BCM stripper upper
Colt M4 SOCOM barrel with BCM A2 FH (will get replaced with SF Warcomp)
BCM BCG
KAC FF Carbine RAS  (love that design, rock solid, easy to install), KAC panels & VFG
Troy BUIS
Aimpoint M4S and factory mount

AR15.COM lower
ALG LPK (mag catch didnt fit lower/kept binding, had to use mag catch from a RRA LPK.  Not sure if LPK or lower issue)
ALC ACT trigger
Magpul STR stock (wanted B5 SOPMOD, but was sold out on black friday when I purchased)
BCM receiver extension kit, spring, buffer, plate with QD
Hogue grip

Need to shoot both and sign in both RDS.
Get sling(s)
Get suppressors ordered
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top