BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2015 12:29:59 PM EDT
Can someone explain the benefits of using a ar15 cut bcg versus a m16 cut one
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The ar carrier is lighter in weight and will allow the action to cycle a bit faster. Pretty sure thats it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that there is a different for years. Never seen it. I shoot around 1,000 rounds a month and have never experienced a problem related to an ar-15 carrier.I persoally think its a tomatoes, tamatoes thing.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The AR15 BCG was designed to NOT allow full auto function if an M16 fire control group was installed/fitted into a semi-auto AR15 receiver, or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the benefits of using a ar15 cut bcg versus a m16 cut one
View Quote

No real benefit, other than the slightly reduced mass, as mentioned.  So, it will take a bit less gas to cycle it, and thus , it will slightly reduce felt recoil if you can choke back the gas with an adjustable GB.

ARFCOM will beat you to death on this subject.

The sky will fall, kittens will die, and your rifle will never reliably feed the next round when the zombies attack if you do not use a full profile FA carrier  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
M16 cycles better.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the rear portion of an AR 15 bcg and compare that to an m16 bcg ( semi auto vs full auto). The semi auto has a little portion cut away so it will not trigger the auto sear in a full auto trigger group. Where as a full auto bcg is fully rounded all the way around behind the space where the hammer swings up and hits the firing pin.

Google full auto vs semi auto bolt carrier, and click images. Just in case my link below doesn't work.

ht
Whether you'd be able to tell the difference, or I could tell the difference, likely not, maybe, I dunno. Either way, if your rifle is strictly semi auto, a full auto bcg is not required, and shaving off a few ounces of metal doesn't matter to you, then I'd suggest making your decision based on the reputation of the bcg you have in mind, not whether it's semi or full auto. If you require full auto, then get a full auto bcg.

I use a full auto bcg, but have only semi auto AR's. Full auto shoots dollar signs and isn't nearly as accurate. I've fired full auto plenty of times, I'm over it.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh and also, as stated by others above, the semi auto weighs less, and may potentially cycle faster. On the other hand, the additional weight of the full auto bcg is said to cycle more smoothly, which makes sense to me. However, if I had a semi auto to compare to, I may not be able to tell the difference.

I use BCM's bcg due to their reputation regarding their bcg. It just happens to be full auto. I picked one up from them about 2 weeks ago for $169.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The difference in mass between a "semi" carrier and a "full auto" carrier is at most half an ounce.  Unless you're using pretty wimpy ammo, it's unlikely that you'd notice any functioning difference between the two.  The tiny extra mass in an auto carrier has been said to "smooth out" the operation of carbine-gas guns, but again, it's such a small difference that it's unlikely that any real, measurable difference comes from the carrier itself.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top