Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2015 8:16:41 PM EDT
Bought a used ar that was built ...   Has a Joe bob billet lower giessle trigger.
The upper is a forged one.  Not sure the manufacture since the guy I bought it from lied to me about a lot of parts he used .
Is has a letter A stamped in it near the ejection port. It is a m4 feed ramps upper the barrel is a seekins precision 10.5 inches .
When I looked in the chamber I didn't look as though the barrel has m4 feed ramps that match the upper .  The problem is when firing it it will shoot a couple of rounds then the rounds will start nosediving into where the feed ramp starts. I think it's the barrel not matching the receiver m4 ramps.
Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine looked like the one that says bad
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing seekins barrels dont have m4 feed ramps
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine looked like the one that says bad
View Quote

Time for a new barrel with M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm guessing seekins barrels dont have m4 feed ramps
View Quote
yes they do.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
So the why was there a lip between the uppers m4 feed lip and the seekins
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine looked just like picture that shows bad.    How can I tell if this is a seekins barrel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine looked just like picture that shows bad.    How can I tell if this is a seekins barrel.
View Quote

Remove the handguard and show us some pictures of the markings.  Show us a pic of the extension/upper area you mention.

Sounds like he lied.  I didn't know Seekins was selling rifle barrels.  Is it a 20"?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a 10.5
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So the why was there a lip between the uppers m4 feed lip and the seekins
View Quote
The upper could be cut too deep. Look carefully at the extension cuts, if they are not completely round on the bottom, i.e. if they don't brake the edge of the outside diameter of the extension, then they are not M4. If the cuts have a flat on the bottom, i.e they extend past the OD of the extension, then they are M4.

If they are not M4 cuts in the barrel then it is not a Seekins barrels.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#11]
They do not break the edge of the barrel.  Does any one know what markings are on a seekins barrel.   And does anyone have a pic of the m4 cuts on just the barrel not in the receiver
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it possible to make your own cuts in the barrel
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The barrel will stainless steel with a blasted finish and be marked "Seekins Precision 223 WYLDE"  on the bottom of the barrel between the gas block and the muzzle.
But as I said if it doesn't have M4 cuts then it is not a Seekins. Here is a picture of the Seekins 10.5" barrel. You can also just see the M4 cuts in the extension.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey thanks for your help man I really appreciate it.  I bought this weapon used and he lied already about the bolt and upper so why not lie about the barrel....
Is it possible to make m4 cut in it
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Or should I just eat this barrel and buy another one
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the choice is yours, either buy a rifle extension upper or a new barrel with M4 extension.  Buying a new upper would likely be cheaper than buying a barrel.  Recoup some costs by selling off the offending part.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I would very highly recommend not trying to do the cuts yourself.
This is your best, or actually cheapest, route to take. Finding a barrel without the M4 ramps is going to be costly, only a few high end companies make them.
But if you have the money and can live with a 12" barrel then this one is very highly recommended, can be had without M4 ramps, and one of the best barrels you can buy. Get it now because it is going back up in price. It will shoot circles around a Seekins barrel (and Seekins barrels are no slouch).

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Well the mystery is solved .   It's not a seekins barrel.  That's why it doesn't chamber right , no m4 feed ramps.    It's a cheap ss 10.5 inch barrel from some no name company . Can't find any markings on barrel.  I'm gonna take it out and either replace it or try cutting my own. If I ruin it who cares. Thanks for everyone help and input.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well the mystery is solved .   It's not a seekins barrel.  That's why it doesn't chamber right , no m4 feed ramps.    It's a cheap ss 10.5 inch barrel from some no name company . Can't find any markings on barrel.  I'm gonna take it out and either replace it or try cutting my own. If I ruin it who cares. Thanks for everyone help and input.
View Quote
Damn, sorry I had it all back asswords. If you need a barrel with M4 ramps those are everywhere. Check into the KAK 10.5 barrel here.

Sell your current barrel on the EE with full disclosure and recoup some of your money. $50-75 and someone will snap it up fast.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Sucks you got lied to and spent money on those lies. Unless the guy you bought it from was too tarded to know about the ramps and sold it because it didn't work right. Why wouldn't he just replace the barrel if he knew? When I first started building, that's the thing I heard the most about: ramps ramps ramps ramps ramps. And then mil spec mil spec mil spec mil spec. Seems to me he didn't get the memo, couldn't figure it out, and sold it. Hope you got a good deal for it. Glad you figured it out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#21]
This guy was just a liar all around.   He lied about the bcg also. Just an asshole but a learned a lot about custom ars in the last couple days.   I'm gonna take it apart and fix it.   So I'm of sure if I'm gonna get trouble for posting this but anybody from pa if you buy on PAFOA classifieds, don't trust Donttreadonme44. He burned me
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top