Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2015 10:21:15 AM EDT
Time for a rebuild! Is anyone using a Mega upper or have any thoughts on them? Specifically, this one? http://www.rainierarms.com/upper-mega-heavy-duty-billet-upper

Thanks ~
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used that particular one myself, but Mega stuff is top-notch.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
No fwd assist or ejection port cover - not really sure that it's needed though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No fwd assist or ejection port cover - not really sure that it's needed though.
View Quote

Depends on your application.  Forward Assist is not something you'd need very often, or ever, but I'd prefer it on a HD type rifle.  Also prefer dust cover on just about everything, but would maybe consider leaving it off on a game gun or bench rifle.

Mega makes billet uppers with those features as well, so you can have it either way.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had excellent luck with Mega billet and forged products.  High quality as far as I am concerned.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have had excellent luck with Mega billet and forged products.  High quality as far as I am concerned.  
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  

This. +1

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the side charging version of the upper you are looking at, it is well made and very thick.  The thing you have to watch with it is compatibility with free float handguards / rails, since many have anti rotation tabs that interface with the upper receiver, and this upper is so thick that many tabs won't fit.  For example, I'm using a samson evolution rail and I had to file the tabs down significantly to get it to fit.  

This is the upper I have:
http://www.rainierarms.com/upper-mega-billet-side-charging-upper
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the side charger too that goes on their Ambi lower. Nice combination but I only have it because of the side charging feature. Too big for a regular gun. Mine is an NRA Match Rifle.

B
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 billet sets, my favorite receiver sets by a long shot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

For sure.  Mega and Rainier forged are my favs
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
OP...that's the exact upper I built up into a Grendel. I used a Primary Arms Seeekins free float and it required removal of material from under the hand guards to clear the receiver. My second build is on hold due to that...I'm going with a CMT UPUR-3 this next go around. Couldn't be happier with the Mega, just not a big fan of the dremel when it comes to building my ARs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have the side charging version of the upper you are looking at, it is well made and very thick.  The thing you have to watch with it is compatibility with free float handguards / rails, since many have anti rotation tabs that interface with the upper receiver, and this upper is so thick that many tabs won't fit.  For example, I'm using a samson evolution rail and I had to file the tabs down significantly to get it to fit.  

This is the upper I have:

http://www.rainierarms.com/upper-mega-billet-side-charging-upper
View Quote

Ah - good call.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Have heard nothing but positives about Mega, hope to build with one myself someday
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top