Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2015 12:01:25 PM EDT
Hey there, just finished up my pistol 300 blackout build. Bought 3 barrels from REV-Arms, a Virginia-based manufacturer. Both the 5.56 barrels headspace out nicely with my brand new Daniel Defense bolt carrier groups. The 300 BLK is giving me more of a problem. I am using PTG headspace gauges.

So here's the deal, the bolt will not lock on the Go or No-Go gauges with standard pressure (me just pressing on the back of the bolt with my finger), so the tolerance is a bit tight. I can take a rubber mallet and -- very lightly -- tap on the back of the bolt carrier group and it will lock. I covered a flat-head with some adhesive felt and have to tap the bolt carrier the opposite direction to get it to unlock.

My question is this, should I just do this 50 - 100 times and maybe it will loosen up itself or should i get the thing lathed down at a gunsmith? I called the manufacturer and they had not heard from anyone having a headspace issue with their barrels before and said that their tolerances can definitely be tight at times depending on the bolt. If i can fix it myself, I would prefer that.

Let me know the options I have. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just take it to a gunsmith (this is coming from a guy who DIY'ed an M4 barrel into a disipator using a hand drill and a bucket).

I had a similar problem (same barrel as mentioned above, actually). The bolt would close on a live round, but not on a go gauge. I had an actual competent gunsmith ream the chamber, and it is all good now.

ETA:

Quoted:

My question is this, should I just do this 50 - 100 times and maybe it
will loosen up itself or should i get the thing lathed down at a
gunsmith?
View Quote
A bolt and barrel that loosen up chamber dimensions after 50-100 cycles is probably not made of metal that you would want to send live rounds through in the first place.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it not close on all of the new BCGs or just one of them?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it not close on all of the new BCGs or just one of them?
View Quote

Tested on both of the new Chrome DD bolts and an old anodized one with 500-1000 rounds on it. Wouldn't pass on any of them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Upfront, I'm pretty new to the AR.

If it's only a couple thenths and you don't want to buy a reamer, could you fix a empty casing, or chamber mop to a shaft and use some lapping compound around the neck? Either with a drill or hand lap?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it back.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Upfront, I'm pretty new to the AR.

If it's only a couple thenths and you don't want to buy a reamer, could you fix a empty casing, or chamber mop to a shaft and use some lapping compound around the neck? Either with a drill or hand lap?

Just a thought.
View Quote

LOL I am planning on taking gunsmithing courses, but I don't know the first thing about reaming a barrel, so i'm gonna go ahead and not do that. :)

I was hoping the tolerance was just tight and maybe it was just a burr or something. I didn't want to pay $100 (or whatever it will cost) for something I can do myself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
<SNIP>
I called the manufacturer and they had not heard from anyone having a headspace issue with their barrels before and said that their tolerances can definitely be tight at times depending on the bolt. If i can fix it myself, I would prefer that.

Let me know the options I have. Thanks all.
View Quote

Considering many in good faith (misplaced in this case) don't think you have to headspace an AR barrel,  I would say
that is why they haven't heard of this problem before.

The part in red is key,  how they admitted to you that it could be too tight and out of spec.

Send it back.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Send it back.

View Quote

THIS.

If a barrel won't allow several bolts to close on a GO gauge, it is not properly chambered.  End of question.  Send it back with an explanation of how you tested it.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything but LIGHT finger pressure when checking headspace.  If very light finger pressure isn't enough to get the bolt to close, the bolt isn't closing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL I am planning on taking gunsmithing courses, but I don't know the first thing about reaming a barrel, so i'm gonna go ahead and not do that. :)

I was hoping the tolerance was just tight and maybe it was just a burr or something. I didn't want to pay $100 (or whatever it will cost) for something I can do myself.
View Quote

Haha. Fair.

Call me reckless.

Just out of curiosity, Is it chrome lined?

I guess this puts me in the send it back camp.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you remove the extractor when you check the headspace?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/fVJo2i3hyvE[/youtube]

http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=439

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/771941/ptg-solid-pilot-chamber-finish-reamer-300-aac-blackout
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Haha. Fair.

Call me reckless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. Fair.

Call me reckless.

If it isn't in spec, send it back. I just sent one back with a canted sight. Messing with it will likely void your ability to send it back
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:My question is this, should I just do this 50 - 100 times and maybe it will loosen up itself  . . .
View Quote

It will probably ruin the headspace gage . . .
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was hoping the tolerance was just tight
View Quote

You keep using that word incorrectly.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]
If a bolt that is .153” from the bolt face to the rear side of the lugs will not close on the Go gage the barrel is short on headspace.
Do not force the gages.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Right now we are living in the Golden Age of ARs. This won't last long. Why screw around with a crap barrel when you can just buy one that is good right out of the box?

Send it back and buy one from a reputable vendor and be done with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would just take it to a gunsmith (this is coming from a guy who DIY'ed an M4 barrel into a disipator using a hand drill and a bucket).

I had a similar problem (same barrel as mentioned above, actually). The bolt would close on a live round, but not on a go gauge. I had an actual competent gunsmith ream the chamber, and it is all good now.

ETA:

A bolt and barrel that loosen up chamber dimensions after 50-100 cycles is probably not made of metal that you would want to send live rounds through in the first place.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

Quoted:

My question is this, should I just do this 50 - 100 times and maybe it will loosen up itself or should i get the thing lathed down at a gunsmith?

I would refrain from reaming anything Chrome Lined or nitrided, for obvious reasons.  Bare metal is one thing, treated metal(whatever form) you are reaming you investment away.  

I would talk with manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Why people put shit together and then check the headspace is beyond stupid.  You should take your new barrel  and your striped bolt and insert the go gauge and check it before you install the barrel.  You can turn the striped bolt with your fingers and tell if its good or not and not jack up your headspace gauge.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:12:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Excessive headspace creates a dangerous condition.  A bit tight, on the other hand, isn't an issue so long as the bolt will fully close.

Personally, I'd probably just go shoot the thing, see how it does (making sure, of course, that the bolt was fully closed each time for awhile).  The high spots on the lug engagement surfaces will wear in.   I've put together a couple that were real snug, to the point that you could let the bolt go and chamber a round, but extracting it required a tap on the CH with a mini deadblow or small piece of wood.  Guess what?  After a mag or two, they smoothed right out, was able to easily hand cycle rounds.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Send it back
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Excessive headspace creates a dangerous condition.  A bit tight, on the other hand, isn't an issue so long as the bolt will fully close.

Personally, I'd probably just go shoot the thing, see how it does (making sure, of course, that the bolt was fully closed each time for awhile).  The high spots on the lug engagement surfaces will wear in.   I've put together a couple that were real snug, to the point that you could let the bolt go and chamber a round, but extracting it required a tap on the CH with a mini deadblow or small piece of wood.  Guess what?  After a mag or two, they smoothed right out, was able to easily hand cycle rounds.
View Quote

Not closing on a GO gauge isn't "a bit tight."  And any effort beyond LIGHT finger pressure to close the bolt is TOO MUCH.  That's how headspace gauges work.  If you're forcing things, you may as well not use the gauge.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#22]
As many have said, if the gauge does not close with normal light pressure than your barrel is not head spaced properly. You need to remove extractor with the PTG gauge.

You can try another bolt just to be certain it is your barrel that is out of spec.

I checked REV Arms web site and they claim to be sub-MOA barrels and the price is no bargain. Contact them and let them make it right or refund your money. Why fix a new part?

To fix this right you need a chamber finish reamer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Chamber and cartridge specs are set so maximum tolerance rounds will safely function in minimum tolerance chambers and vice versa.
If your headspace is short or long you are setting yourself up for function issues.
Maybe not a big deal at the range, but in a HD or hunting situation it could have unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Just to be sure you are using a 300blk gauge and not the 223/556 right?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Right now we are living in the Golden Age of ARs. This won't last long. Why screw around with a crap barrel when you can just buy one that is good right out of the box?

Send it back and buy one from a reputable vendor and be done with it.
View Quote

This makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad it worked for you but for others it may just become a rifle that fails to chamber or extract reliably. YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top