Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2015 9:59:58 PM EDT
I was looking at an old 80% lower I have and I was wondering if I could do a diagonal cut on the front section of the magwell, from .25" below the front pin straight  across to just outside the trigger guard. I assume it will just reduce weight, and perhaps make it easier to insert mags (I sometimes rock them in). I cant imagine it will hurt anything, but I decided to check with u guys first.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO that would be problematic, but obviously don’t know that for sure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Like this:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=624408

Would leave more magwell than the SCR has:

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That bottom rifle is actually pretty sharp...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks, this is what I was looking for
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've wanted to build one like that for a while now but I don't know what the lower is. It looks completely different from a standard AR lower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It's an Ares SCR.  You can buy complete lowers with bolt carrier or complete rifles.  They don't sell stripped lowers because almost every part is proprietary.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's an Ares SCR.  You can buy complete lowers with bolt carrier or complete rifles.  They don't sell stripped lowers because almost every part is proprietary.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]
That particular SCR is their patrol rifle SBR.  The sights are their own and are designed to sit lower than traditional AR sights.

The stock shown is their Sporter stock, but they also have Monte Carlo (raised cheek rest) and Sporter Short stocks.  I've been wanting one for a second rifle for a while.  The lowers are $499, which is steep, but not too bad if you compare with a billet lower, lower parts kit, buffer tube assembly, stock and bolt carrier, which is basically what you are getting.

OP: what you are thinking about would also look like the LAR-47:

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That particular SCR is their patrol rifle SBR.  The sights are their own and are designed to sit lower than traditional AR sights.

The stock shown is their Sporter stock, but they also have Monte Carlo (raised cheek rest) and Sporter Short stocks.  I've been wanting one for a second rifle for a while.  The lowers are $499, which is steep, but not too bad if you compare with a billet lower, lower parts kit, buffer tube assembly, stock and bolt carrier, which is basically what you are getting.

OP: what you are thinking about would also look like the LAR-47:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/files/2012/09/RRA-LAR-47_001.jpg
View Quote

I was looking at their lowers last night the prices are pretty steep but competitive with completed uppers so it balances out I think. I may pick one up eventually to do a build with. They are pretty sharp looking.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top