Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2015 11:47:16 PM EDT
Ok. I bought a stripped lower. I can make it into a pistol and be legal as long as:

1) it's never been a rifle
2) no stock
3) no vertical grip

Correct?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#2]
does the 4473 have to be filled out a certain way? or am I thinking of something else? I guess, if I buy a stripped lower, build it into a rifle, then completely disassemble it and reassemble as a pistol, how does anyone know whether it was ever a rifle?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

does the 4473 have to be filled out a certain way?
View Quote

Legally no.  All lowers without a barreled upper should be transferred as "other" on the 4473, regardless of the intended final build state.

"Quoted:

I guess, if I buy a stripped lower, build it into a rifle, then completely disassemble it and reassemble as a pistol, how does anyone know whether it was ever a rifle?"

Well, posting your intentions to do so on the internet would be an unwise idea...

But theoretically, yes, if you were to do it and never took any pictures or told anyone about it, it would be a hard case for the ATF to prove.

Remember though, so long as you FIRST build the lower up into a completed pistol, you can then re-configure it into a rifle and back to a pistol at will, so long as you add/remove parts in such and order that you don't ever make an SBR/AOW in the process.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
  Legally no.  All lowers without a barreled upper should be transferred as "other" on the 4473, regardless of the intended final build state.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think this is the part I was half-remembering.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
It could be viewed as unwise to have the components to build the lower as a rifle as well as a pistol without another lower around. You could be considered as having constructive intent to build an SBR since you'd have the tube and stock. Store them separately and use discretion when traveling with them, as in don't put the rifle stock in the case with the pistol.

I love my pistol, the longer KAK sig style tube w/o the sig brace works great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 4473 is filled out the same way as all the other 4473s. If you're not the seller, you don't have to worry about the other stuff.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It could be viewed as unwise to have the components to build the lower as a rifle as well as a pistol without another lower around. You could be considered as having constructive intent to build an SBR since you'd have the tube and stock. Store them separately and use discretion when traveling with them, as in don't put the rifle stock in the case with the pistol.

I love my pistol, the longer KAK sig style tube w/o the sig brace works great.
View Quote

Ok. Makes sense. Thank you.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top