Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 10:20:49 AM EDT
Legit question, all of my gear is multicam/coyote, but i have a black rifle. Are their benefits to painting/cerakote/durakote other than looks that my rifle in its factory finish wouldnt have ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Women and Gay men will admire you for your obvious fashion sense
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your life dependant on the visibility of your rifle?  If so, do what you gotta do.  If not, dont mess with it, unless you are taking operator selfies in your bathroom mirror.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Well played gents. If the time comes for me to need all my gear then i can say yes. My life would depend on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Do what you want to do, and don't concern yourself with what others think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I like this answer right here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.

Black.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Color coordinate it with your nail polish.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems I have opened this up to a can of worms.

No one even really answered the question about why to do it pros v. cons.

I wasnt sure if I wanted to was the problem.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It would look cool! But, coyotes focus on movement not color.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems like a good excuse to buy another AR.  One black, one camo'd.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

i second this...although i don't have a colored rifle myself, why should you care what others think, its yours. Do you care what others think of the color of your car? your shoes? your clothes? no because you're driving the car, you're wearing the clothes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay serious?

It's entirely cosmetic.  Yes, if you were in a concealed position overwatching enemy movement, having a black gun is easier to recognize.  BUT- snipers didn't color their guns from WWI to GWOT, and unsurprisingly they weren't slaughtered.  They just threw burlap over it or whatever.

Infantry tactics don't really need camo'd guns, unless it's some really snoopin' n poopin' kind of stuff.  Hunters don't need it but it sure looks purdy.

However- dude this is an AR!  Do you want a colored gun?  Then get it!  Celebrate yo' freedom!  Coat that sucker!  If you've got the cash and have a design in mind, go for it.  You'll have the best looking rifle on the range line and you can upload pics to your heart's content.

There's really no other benefit except "because it looks cool."  Gun won't shoot any straighter because it's painted FDE.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]
You can color it anything you want. I don't get tatoos for no good reason either.... but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gun won't shoot any straighter because it's painted FDE.
View Quote

Are you sure??  Because I've heard things....
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
if they ban black rifles they can't take your colored one(s).

safe!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun won't shoot any straighter because it's painted FDE.

you must own a SCAR, because this is commonly debated amongst us SCAR owners lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s367.photobucket.com/user/hotdogit250/media/FDE%20now%20Burnt%20Bronze%20012%203_zps6z6uexrr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/hotdogit250/FDE%20now%20Burnt%20Bronze%20012%203_zps6z6uexrr.jpg</a>

safe!

View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s367.photobucket.com/user/hotdogit250/media/FDE%20now%20Burnt%20Bronze%20012%203_zps6z6uexrr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/hotdogit250/FDE%20now%20Burnt%20Bronze%20012%203_zps6z6uexrr.jpg</a>

safe!

View Quote

For the win!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]
DiDo , its yours do what ya want to and have fun .

I like black ar , camo ar, color ar , its all good that's what i like to best about the ar platform it's so versatile , you can build tactical, target , light weights ,

or just fun cool looking stuff for no good reason guns .

you could argue the a extra coating will help protect it but its minimal.

lock load live free

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seems like a good excuse to buy another AR.  One black, one camo'd.
View Quote

I like this answer.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I use dirt.

Easy and it's free.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The only serious note I can add is that it may hurt re-sale value if you ever want to sell your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
DO IT!

I'm getting my first can of Aluma Hyde today. Going to take apart my rifle this week and start painting it this weekend
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Personal choice. However look at any military picture and you will notice the glaringly black weapon against coyote brown/whatever camouflage pattern they are wearing. The first things I notice are ungloved hands, faces, and weapons that are black. Black just doesn't blend in at all
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Personal choice. However look at any military picture and you will notice the glaringly black weapon against coyote brown/whatever camouflage pattern they are wearing. The first things I notice are ungloved hands, faces, and weapons that are black. Black just doesn't blend in at all
View Quote

I agree. Thats always what stands out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I say do it, but then again, I have been accused of being a metrosexual. Jokes aside, unless you have a real need for camo changing colors is purely aesthetic. Cerakote is a good finish though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not coloring rifles unless and until the unlikely SHTF event. Then I will bust out a can or two of Krylon and call it good enough for government work. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#28]
PROs:
I thinks it's fun to plan and do (I've only done rattlecan stuff)
Could useful in hunting or SHTF situations

CONs:
Probably lowers the resell value of you weapon. (Although I sold an AR15 once just because the guy loved the rattlecan camo I put on it...So YMMV)

Personally, I've only painted my backup ARs and it has been fun....I don't know if I'd ever paint my "go to" unless it was a SHTF situation, but then again it's my duty rifle so painting it is pretty much out of the question so I don't have to make that decision anyway.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
PROs:
I thinks it's fun to plan and do (I've only done rattlecan stuff)
Could useful in hunting or SHTF situations

CONs:
Probably lowers the resell value of you weapon. (Although I sold an AR15 once just because the guy loved the rattlecan camo I put on it...So YMMV)

Personally, I've only painted my backup ARs and it has been fun....I don't know if I'd ever paint my "go to" unless it was a SHTF situation, but then again it's my duty rifle so painting it is pretty much out of the question so I don't have to make that decision anyway.

View Quote

Resale isn't on the top of my list. This is my first rifle and i build it from parts. Nothing is going to make me sell it. If someone likes it they can pay me to build them one like it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top