Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2015 3:05:26 PM EDT
I didn't realize how expensive head space gauges were.  However, I feel like I am putting enough rifles together that maybe investing in some would be a good idea and the cost would be justified over time.

What are some preferred/better brands that I should be looking at, or are they all fairly good enough?  Where's a good place to keep an eye out for some that are priced decently as well.

Thanks in advance!

-Don
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Got mine at Graf and Sons.

http://www.grafs.com/

Bought the 5.56 NATO min and max.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
PT&G and Forster are two VERY well respected brands.  Mine cost less than $30 each (I now have GO and NO GO for 5.56 and 300 Blackout, so that's 4 gages total) from Brownells.  I do not see $30 being "expensive" for an extremely precise tool...
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I found this review on Midway USA's website for ".223 Wylde Headspace Gauges" and I chuckled a bit.

I have been using my 5.56 NATO gauges for 5.56 and .223 Wylde chambered builds.

From what I have researched, this is OK to do since the chamber dimensions that matter for headspacing are the same for 5.56, .223, and .223 Wylde.

I am correct?

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Forster "go", "No Go" gauges.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased the Manson "Down and Dirty" set a couple months ago. includes a go, no go, and field gauge for $60.
You have to call to order but they are great to deal with and they ship fast.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  $30 for a set of go/no go is indeed not pricey.  However, the only ones I aw (in my limited search) was around $60, which was a bit pricey for me, because I wanted to buy a couple of different caliber ones at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]
To clarify, my gages were "less than $30" EACH.  So less than $60 per set.

Right now, Brownell's has Forster's 5.56mm Maximum Headspace (Field) gage for $22.99, and Forster's .223 GO (minimum chamber, part number 319-223-464WB) gage for $28.99.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't fight it bit the bullet ( lol )and get the "go No Go" gauges. IMO if your not doing your own reloading for precision target shooting  the go no go
gage's are the fastest and easiest way to know that your good to go,  bolt locks or it doesn't
and as for the cost well if you go another route it will likely cost you more in the end and be much more complicated and time consuming to use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased the Manson "Down and Dirty" set a couple months ago. includes a go, no go, and field gauge for $60.
You have to call to order but they are great to deal with and they ship fast.
View Quote

In my quick search for the down and dirty gauges, I found out that they don't have the items listed on their site apparently, and you have to e-mail/contact them to place an order.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top