Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2015 1:55:05 PM EDT
Decided to check my progress on my newest build. So far I have:

Aero Precision Gen 2 Lower
Aero Precision no fa upper
Fortis "12 Rev II M Lok handguard
Faxon 16" 416R pencil barrel

Total weight so far is 2 lbs 9 oz.  I plan on using some V7 titanium pieces, a PA red dot with Fortis F1 mount, and most likely a MFT minimalist stock.  Hopefully will be under 6 lbs total. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup ...  Looks like you're heading to a 5.5 lb rifle with pretty much conventional, non-exotic parts (except your Ti LPK).  Looking really good.  Let us know how it works out... more pictures!  

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
looks good.

I just did a build (still tweaking it a bit here and there) and it came in at 4.4lbs. Should be down to abut 4.25 When the smoke composite stock arrives

titanium is expensive and adds up fast.

BCG will be your biggest purchase of all if you choose titanium or even aluminum.

Any thoughts on gas blocks and buffer systems yet?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely getting the Faxon lightweight gas block as well.  Haven't decided what to do on buffer or bcg yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You should consider an adjustable gas block to tame the recoil.  Lighter recoil matched with a lightweight build makes for an extremely nice shooter. Taming the gas system will help optimize whichever lightweight BCG you decide to use. Lighter BCG's reciprocate faster.   Take a look at the SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most likely getting the Faxon lightweight gas block as well.  Haven't decided what to do on buffer or bcg yet.

You should consider an adjustable gas block to tame the recoil.  Lighter recoil matched with a lightweight build makes for an extremely nice shooter. Taming the gas system will help optimize whichever lightweight BCG you decide to use. Lighter BCG's reciprocate faster.   Take a look at the SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks.  

Thanks for the advice. Do you think using a Spikes Dynacomp and T2 buffer would also minimize recoil?
By the way, I got my barrel from righttobear.com for an awesome price over the summer.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I would also agree to look into adjustable gas blocks, especially if you are looking at a lightweight bcg.

The idea of running a heavy buffer would negate the notion of running a lightweight bcg, if you are trying to save weight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Let me rephrase, assuming I use a standard bcg, I would go with a T2 buffer.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

faxon gas block ya i just put one on my ultra light and its tiny and light
" />
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you use a lightweight bcg with a non adjustable gas block on a midlength setup?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can you use a lightweight bcg with a non adjustable gas block on a midlength setup?
View Quote

Not a good idea IMHO.  Too much gas, will increase recoil and be hard on the parts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not a good idea IMHO.  Too much gas, will increase recoil and be hard on the parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, if you are going to use LW BCG or Buffer get an adjustable gas block. SLR makes one in Ti if you want that light weight also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm kinda liking that Fortis Rev 2 Rail.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top