Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 2:15:56 PM EDT
I know how to do it, I've built a few uppers before. BUT I've taken apart a colt factory upper before and the barrel nut was so freakin' tight it was unbelievable. I didn't see any grease on colt factory barrel nut before so I attributed the difficulty to that. I'm not sure about other manufacturers though.

I've got a factory KMR upper from BCM that I want to swap the barrel for a Larue Stealth Barrel I got during the recent sale.

Question 1. Should I do it? Or just build a new upper?

Question 2.For those that have done it before, on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it?

(My mechanical skills, about a 4 out of 10. )
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You should just build another upper based on the info provided.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[span style='font-size: 10pt;']I know how to do it, I've built a few uppers before.
View Quote

Its a no brainer then....just pull it apart and swap the barrel.  Unless you WANT another upper.....then just do that.  They KMR rails are pretty hard to come by right now....they seem to be sold out pretty regularly.  They are my favorite rail though.....I love em'.

They are very easy in my opinion......the Knights URX 3 is many times harder to take apart and re-assemble than the KMR.  Not many are hard.....but the URX 3 is a BEAST.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard BCM uses eight Marines with sledge hammers to tighten each barrel nut. Seriously though I've heard they either use loctite or really put some muscle into wrenching them down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I say nows the time for a new upper, if you have cash the Labor Day sales are in full effect. Sweet deals out there, go for it
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know how to do it, I've built a few uppers before. BUT I've taken apart a colt factory upper before and the barrel nut was so freakin' tight it was unbelievable. I didn't see any grease on colt factory barrel nut before so I attributed the difficulty to that. I'm not sure about other manufacturers though.

I've got a factory KMR upper from BCM that I want to swap the barrel for a Larue Stealth Barrel I got during the recent sale.

Question 1. Should I do it? Or just build a new upper?

Question 2.For those that have done it before, on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it?

(My mechanical skills, about a 4 out of 10. )
Thanks!
View Quote

Not hard. Heat up the barrel nut with a torch and it's a piece of cake.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top