Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:36:53 PM EDT
I have an extra GWACS (cav arms) lower I'm not doing anything with. I've seen some other cut them down shorter so I decided to give it a shot. I probably should have researched a new buttpad first.... but I didn't.

Has anyone done this, and if so what did you use for a buttpad? The "new" end of the stock is 4.5" x 1.5" almost exactly. I'm happy with the length and how well it cut, just need to do some experimenting now to cover the end.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
interesting.

I am not familiar with that lower, does it use a rifle buffer system and now you will use a carbine system?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
interesting.

I am not familiar with that lower, does it use a rifle buffer system and now you will use a carbine system?
View Quote

It uses a carbine buffer.  The stock is A1 length from the factory.  

I used a sand to fit butt pad from Brownells when I chopped mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Doh!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You can undercut the trigger guard too just don't go too deep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
interesting.

Exactly. I still have about an inch before the end of the "buffer tube" area. This is what the back looks like now. I forgot to take a pic of this view before cutting.
I figured I'd have to get one of the sand to fit types, but thought I'd throw the question out there. Thank you

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you very much for that.  I'd like to split one lengthwise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Calvary Arms had a tutorial "Sticky" on their Industry Page, but appears they have dropped their sponsorship.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find an early enough model and you can do just that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thank you very much for that.  I'd like to split one lengthwise.

I have one of the ARFCOM Cav Aid Type 1 lowers, and pulled out the screws out of it.  Still have to overcome some plastic welds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. Was just looking at these the other day for a lightweight build.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Be aware that some types of grind to fit recoil pads have minimum dimensions due to internal cavities. You don't want to hit the gel pocket or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one of these coming. I may put a QD socket on the side of the stock while I'm waiting for the buttpad.

Any other pointers for the lower build? I may undercut the trigger guard some but will see how it feels assembled first. If I'm going to do that, I may as well stipple the grip too...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#14]
at:  I suggest you cover the open end with a flat piece of sturdy plastic, attached with PVC cement.  Then buy a cheap pair of beach flops, the kind with one piece soles, the larger size the better.  Then cut out a right-sized piece with a knife and attach to the flat piece of plastic, again with PVC cement.  Trim with rough sandpaper to fit the A1 stock's profile.  Works like a charm, doesn't weigh a lot and if done carefully, doesn't look too bad. - CW

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Curious as to what tools/process would be used to undercut trigger guard?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks better than when you first explained it to me...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]

at4rxj, I do have a couple question for you, just out of curiosity.

What is your Overall Length goal ?

And is there a specific reason for shortening this stock ? ( I personally think the A1 length is about perfect, just my opinion there )

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Calvary Arms had a tutorial "Sticky" on their Industry Page, but appears they have dropped their sponsorship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thank you very much for that.  I'd like to split one lengthwise.

They've long been bankrupt.  They sold all their equipment to GWACS, who very helpfully floats a replacement warranty on all Cav Arms & Sabre Defense Type 2 receivers - exchange for any reason for $35, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They've long been bankrupt.  They sold all their equipment to GWACS, who very helpfully floats a replacement warranty on all Cav Arms & Sabre Defense Type 2 receivers - exchange for any reason for $35, I believe.
View Quote

He was referring to Cav Mfg, who is still in business making everything that Cav Arms used to sans the lowers.  They were an industry sponsor for a while and had the tutorial tacked in their forum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Works like a charm, doesn't weigh a lot and if done carefully, doesn't look too bad. - CW
View Quote

I don't mean to disparage your work, but there's really no way around it, that looks horrible.

These look much better and I'm sure they last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
at4rxj, I do have a couple question for you, just out of curiosity.

What is your Overall Length goal ?

And is there a specific reason for shortening this stock ? ( I personally think the A1 length is about perfect, just my opinion there )
View Quote

To be honest I didn't set any goals for this. I didn't even measure or compare to another lower with a stock... I just measured the inside of the tube area, decided exactly 2" was a nice round number and cut it. Comparing it afterwards to a lower with a collapsible stock it's in between the first and second position. I'll try to get a pic later on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He was referring to Cav Mfg, who is still in business making everything that Cav Arms used to sans the lowers.  They were an industry sponsor for a while and had the tutorial tacked in their forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  They've long been bankrupt.  They sold all their equipment to GWACS, who very helpfully floats a replacement warranty on all Cav Arms & Sabre Defense Type 2 receivers - exchange for any reason for $35, I believe.

Ah.  They've maintained this page for quite some time - it may be of interest to some folks:

http://www.cavalrymanufacturing.com/CAV15/CAV15MKI.html

Josh, if you haven't seen it, there's a surprise awaiting you in the 1911 forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/162331_For_Josh_and_DJ___what_you_asked_for_last_year.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I cut this type D stock down about 1 1/2".  Shaved the type D buttplate to size, reshaped it and glued it on with 'gorilla snot' black RVT silicon.  

Used a DPMS stock extender kit with a Rock River entry length buffer tube.  I like nose-to-charging-handle!

" />
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks good man! I gotta admit I was kinda nervous for you when I heard you were doing it.

Have you considered the slip on butt pads and glue?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Aluminum plate 1/4" thick may look decent as well and considering how much a 5.56 doesn't recoil could be an option as a cushion isn't really needed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I considered a slip on but as said I don't really need a "recoil pad" so much as a spacer of some kind that doesn't scream BUBBA when I pull it out.

I have a piece of kydex I'm considering using for the shape then adding some small rubber or non-slip material of some kind. I definitely don't want epoxy or PVC glue coming out of the joints so whatever I'll do will be a one piece buttpad that I attach with screws to the stock.

I did order that grind to fit buttpad and it should be here Mon or Tues. I'll give that a shot first.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I cut mine as short as possible and left it "in the rough", looks fine to me
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
You may want to fill a couple of those gaps inside with Devcon or something similar to give your screws some extra material to bite into when screwed down.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top